Z 226 - One 120kW (160hp) Walter Minor 6III inverted inline six cylinder piston engine driving a two blade fixed pitch propeller. Z 526F - One 135kW (180hp) Avia M 137 A inverted inline six driving a two blade constant speed propeller.
Z 226 - Max speed 220km/h (120kt), normal cruising speed 195km/h (105kt). Initial rate of climb 950ft/min. Service ceiling 17,390ft. Range 485km (260nm). Z 526F - Max speed 244km/h (132kt), normal cruising speed 210km/h (113kt). Initial rate of climb 1180ft/min. Service ceiling 17,060ft. Range with standard fuel 475km (256nm), range with wingtip tanks 837km (452nm).
Z 226 - Empty 570kg (1257lb), max takeoff 820kg (1808lb). Z 526F - Empty 665kg (1465lb), max takeoff 975kg (2150lb).
Seating for two in Z 26, Z 126, Z 226, Z 326, Z 526 and Z 726. Pilot only in Z 226A, 326A, 526A, Z 526AF and Z 526AFS.
More than 1400 of all variants built, many against military and government flying school orders.
One and two seat aerobatic and training light aircraft
The renowned Zlin series of two seat Trener trainers and single seat Akrobat aerobatic aircraft was a great success, winning numerous world aerobatic championship titles during the 1960s.
The original Z 26 Trener was designed in response to a Czechoslovak government requirement for a two seat basic trainer for flying school and military use. The Z 26 was powered by a 78kW (105hp) Walter Minor 4III inline four cylinder engine, featured wooden construction and a fixed taildragger undercarriage. The prototype flew for the first time in 1947 and 16 production Z 26s were built before it was replaced from 1953 by the metal construction Z 126.
Development over a three decade production run resulted in numerous further improved variants. In 1952 Zlin introduced the Z 226 Trener6 which featured a more powerful 120kW (160hp) six cylinder Walter Minor 6III engine. The Z 226 was also built in single seat Z 226A Akrobat, glider tug Z 226B and Z 226T trainer forms.
The similar Z 326 TrenerMaster and single seat Z 326A Akrobat introduced retractable undercarriage, a feature that became standard on all subsequent models. Deliveries began in 1959. The Z 526 differed in that the pilot flew the aircraft from the rear, rather than the front seat, with optional tip tanks and a constant speed prop. The Z 526F introduced in 1968 had a 135kW (180hp) Avia M 137A engine, the otherwise similar Z 526L differed in being powered by a 150kW (200hp) Lycoming AIO360 flat four and was intended for export.
Single seat Z 526s were the Z 526A, Z 526AS, and Z 526AFS.
The Z 526 AFM was built between 1981 and 1984 and was powered by a 155kW (210hp) Avia M337 engine, had tip tanks and the Z 526AFS's lengthened fuselage.
Final development was the Z 726 series, the Z 726 Universal had reduced span wing, the Z 726K a 155kW (210hp) Avia M 337 engine.