Sponsor Message:
Aviation Photography Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
How To Correct Curves  
User currently offlineA388 From Netherlands Antilles, joined May 2001, 10788 posts, RR: 15
Posted (10 years 7 months 1 week 2 days 20 hours ago) and read 3179 times:

I have a question,

I've had this 'problem' several times. I have photos where the livery gets a 'ladder' effect. Examples where I have this problem is the tail logo of NCA (the part where the logo over the rare fuselage) and Martinair's new tail logo. I use photoshop when cropping my photos but haven't been succesful in improving the photo. The 'ladder' just won't go away. Instead of a nice line my photos show the 'ladder' type of line (or stairway effect). How can I correct this?



2 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineWakeTurbulence From United States of America, joined Apr 2004, 1331 posts, RR: 14
Reply 1, posted (10 years 7 months 1 week 2 days 19 hours ago) and read 3169 times:

Are you talking about 'jaggies'? From what you are describing that's what it sounds like. It can come from oversharpening, and sometimes happens on pics that haven't even been edited. You can try to select the jagged pixels and slowly blur them out, or sharpen the area less. I hope this helps.

User currently offlineGPHOTO From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2004, 840 posts, RR: 21
Reply 2, posted (10 years 7 months 1 week 2 days 16 hours ago) and read 3155 times:


To remove jaggies on curved liveries (or any curving part) you can use layers if your editing software allows. I use Photoshop Elements 3.0. After adjusting the lighting, contrast, angle, noise and crop of the photo, I shrink it to the desired size, then apply a 'Duplicate layer' on top. Then I sharpen. I then use the eraser tool set at about 30%, with a brush size in the range 5 to 10 pixels and rub over (one pass at a time) any jaggies. As you pass over the jaggie, some of the sharpening is removed and more of the 'soft' image underneath is revealed. This allows you to return jagged areas to their pre-sharpened state without affecting the sharpness of the rest of the photo. It doesn't take long.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,


Erm, is this thing on?
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Bad Centered - How To Correct? posted Fri Mar 3 2006 11:52:20 by Frippe
How To Correct Curves posted Sun Oct 23 2005 04:48:33 by A388
How To Correct Night Yellow Lights? posted Thu Nov 20 2003 23:18:18 by Mirage
How To Correct This posted Mon Sep 15 2003 11:28:35 by Panman
How To Tell If The Monitor Is Correct? posted Wed Aug 10 2005 11:31:15 by DC10Tim
How To Get A Monitor With The Correct Settings? posted Sun Dec 23 2001 07:34:59 by Ghost77
How To Improve This Rejected One posted Mon Nov 27 2006 09:37:27 by Gerardo
How To Improve This One posted Sun Nov 12 2006 17:06:58 by Pitchul
Question About How To Avoid Jaggies posted Tue Aug 29 2006 13:24:58 by Coninpa
How To Get Rid Of These Jaggies? posted Sun Aug 20 2006 20:52:52 by AirKas1