Sponsor Message:
Aviation Photography Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Which Side Of Flight To Sit For Best Views?  
User currently offlineshaocaholica From United States of America, joined Jan 2013, 3 posts, RR: 0
Posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 4 days 21 hours ago) and read 4117 times:

I've become quite fond of doing landscape photos from commercial flights. However, I've come to realize quite quickly that depending on what side of the plane I'm sitting on, the views can be drastically different from simply having the cool views on the other side or having the sun on the wrong side(glare).

So, is there any way to tell what path a commercial flight will take? Is there a high degree of chance or do most flights follow the same path?

Whats the biggest thing for me is what side of the plane the downtown highrise area of a city is on during take off and landing. Those make some of the coolest views. Natural land features too but I figure thats harder to predict, right?

http://shaozhang.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Infrared-From-the-Sky-Nov-2008

[Edited 2013-01-10 11:09:38]

6 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineDL747 From United States of America, joined Nov 2012, 617 posts, RR: 0
Reply 1, posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 4 days 20 hours ago) and read 4109 times:

What is your route? With the info you listed, I can't help much.


Just like the shirt says, Boeing Builds It Better!
User currently offlineshaocaholica From United States of America, joined Jan 2013, 3 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 4 days 20 hours ago) and read 4106 times:

I was speaking more generally as I don't know what routes I'll be traveling in the future. Just looking for what resources I could use to determine it myself.

However, I do end up flying LAX to PHX a lot.

All of my outbound flights will be from LAX usually to a domestic hub and then to somewhere on the east coast. Usually Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philly.

[Edited 2013-01-10 11:24:42]

User currently offlinevikkyvik From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 10331 posts, RR: 26
Reply 3, posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 4 days 19 hours ago) and read 4080 times:

Flying into LAX, 99% of the time downtown will be on the right. The other 1%, you'll be landing from over the ocean anyway.

You can use flightaware (www.flightaware.com) to look at previous routes.



How can I be an admiral without my cap??!
User currently offlineshaocaholica From United States of America, joined Jan 2013, 3 posts, RR: 0
Reply 4, posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 4 days 16 hours ago) and read 4040 times:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot

User currently offlinehotplane From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 5, posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 4 days ago) and read 3981 times:

Work out where the sun will be and sit opposite. You don't any glare in your shots.

User currently offlineBruce From United States of America, joined May 1999, 5066 posts, RR: 15
Reply 6, posted (1 year 11 months 1 week 3 days 17 hours ago) and read 3942 times:

That's what I do when I book a plane seat. I check flightaware's history on that flight and choose my side depending which might be in view of something interesting like a big city. Unless its a very early morning flight, well I know that if I'm on the side facing east I'll be in blinding sun so I'll pick the opposite side. And, when I flew non-rev I didn't have a choice but I prayed there would be a window available. When the airline booked my ride for company business the first thing I did was go into my res and change my seat....because I could.  


Bruce



Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Official List Of Visitors To MAN For May 28th posted Fri May 16 2003 18:06:29 by Widebodiedlee
Which One Of These Lens Is Best? posted Sat Feb 25 2012 19:43:25 by kl692
Suggestions For Spotting QF Flight To DFW? posted Sun May 15 2011 15:41:44 by deltaffindfw
How To Make The Best Out Of Overcast Weather posted Thu Aug 6 2009 02:30:01 by Ghajdufi
Which Sort Of Photo Best Represents Your Style? posted Fri Jun 5 2009 07:49:58 by Spencer
Best Location/Time Of Day To Spot At Cywg posted Mon Sep 8 2008 14:55:04 by Gliderpilot08
Breach Of Copyright - How Much To Ask For? posted Mon Oct 1 2007 06:27:36 by Monteycarlos
Best Time Of Year To Visit SXM? posted Sat Jun 23 2007 00:43:52 by WakeTurbulence
Best Time Of Year To Visit ORD & SFO? posted Sun Feb 4 2007 18:40:56 by 727LOVER
Which Of The Two Is The Best One? posted Wed Mar 1 2006 07:32:36 by Frippe