B727fan From United States of America, joined Apr 2004, 296 posts, RR: 0 Posted (4 years 7 months 3 weeks 6 days 18 hours ago) and read 3694 times:
Some friends of mine are traveling to Turkey (May 23rd-June7th). Were able to get tickets to Istanbul with the AMEX points, a combination of DL & KL flights.
If they want to fly to Ankara, Antalya, Izmir, etc. would they need to make reservations from here w/ TK or would it be possible to book flights there without paying additional bucks for lack of 2 weeks advance purchase, etc. (any discount local career advise is greatly appreciated)
TurkishWings From United States of America, joined May 2006, 1431 posts, RR: 9 Reply 1, posted (4 years 7 months 3 weeks 6 days 9 hours ago) and read 3646 times:
I am not sure if I understand you correctly but I suggest they buy their tickets in advance and online. TK, AtlasJet, Pegasus, SunExpress... They all sell tickets online. End of May, beginning of June may be an expensive time for domestic tickets. However, if they are flexible, tell them to choose mid-week departures. Flights over weekends may be really expensive.... And tell them that there is nothing to see in Ankara and much in Izmir itself I suggest they go visit Cappadoccia and head to south-southwest for a week... 3-4 days in Istanbul would be plenty. They should make sure to spend at least one weekend in IST. Nightlife is great here and weather will be perfect....
Bahadir From United States of America, joined Oct 2001, 1732 posts, RR: 11 Reply 2, posted (4 years 7 months 2 weeks 17 hours ago) and read 3499 times:
some warnings about the travel:
- If they pay for the tickets with credit cards (highly likely), they need to have the card present for the check in. This is even worse of a problem when the person who bought the ticket is not traveling.
I had to use my connections when I was traveling on a ticket that was purchased 6 weeks prior to travel when they denied me boarding because I had my credit card in Istanbul flying out of AYT.
- You can still go to the airport and purchase tickets at the ticket sales counter. Make sure you are not traveling to BJV , AYT on Friday nights , if you are buying tickets on the spot.
- Expect heavy loads in early morning flights during weekdays to ESB.
- These are major competitors to TK, give them a shot.
- Pegasus Airlines (they fly out of SAW , the Asian side of Istanbul) www.flypgs.com
- Atlasjet www.atlasjet.com
- Onur Air www.onurair.com
- SunExpress www.sunexpress.com.tr
- IzAir www.izair.com