bavlmsq From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2008, 9 posts, RR: 0 Posted (4 years 1 week 3 hours ago) and read 2574 times:
I know 1000's are affected by the airspace closure etc but just thought i'd get some advise.
My mum, sister and 12 other charity workers are currently in Uganda. They were rebooked to leave tomorrow but this has now been cancelled. BA have now rebooked them for Sunday which is the nearest date available.
Obviously EBB flights to Europe are very limited and the three airlines that would operate direct are grounded. I have looked at EK into MAD/FCO/MLA/ATH but they're either full or only have J or F available.
The only other thing I suggested was to get as far north in Africa as they can and then perhaps take local ferries so at least they can reach mainland Europe but I guess this would be a bit of a mission and by the time they reach Europe, they might as well wait for the flight on Sunday (If it should go).
Personally I've told them to stay where they are as local accommodation is cheap and at least they're a bit more familiar with their surroundings.
Anyways, thought I would post as they seem to think if I work for an airline then I can make magic happen!
signol From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2007, 2985 posts, RR: 8
Reply 2, posted (4 years 1 week 1 hour ago) and read 2551 times:
If they can get to Tunisia or Morocco, there are ferries to Italy (Sicily) and Spain respectively. Then they could take a leasurely train ride back to Dover or any other Channel port. You'd still be looking at 2 or 3 days journey from European entry point though...
PlymSpotter From Spain, joined Jun 2004, 11574 posts, RR: 61
Reply 3, posted (4 years 1 week ago) and read 2541 times:
Stay where they are - getting back overland would take just as long. Overland transport is heavily congested, it won't be a pleasant experience if they try it, and there is no guarantee of crossing the channel at the end of it.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...