signol From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2007, 3049 posts, RR: 8
Reply 1, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 2 days 16 hours ago) and read 2708 times:
I cannot comment on the hotel, as I stayed with a friend, but I do have a couple of other recommendations on things to see
- Aside from the Giza pyramids, visit the ones at Saqqara - older than Giza, you can see the development of the design.
- I stayed in Maadi, and used the metro to get to and from downtown (1LE - £0.10 per ride). I also visited Coptic Cairo, an interesting quarter, and the Nile Meter, on the tip of Rhoda Island http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilometer
- The Citadel, including the military museum
- We ate at TGI Fridays one evening, overlooking the Nile, in Maadi. Nice views, standard food though. We also took a ride on a felucca, traditional sailing boat (bring your own beer!) http://www.signol.co.uk/middleeast05
Not much to go on, I'm afraid, but have fun! Note that the grand bazaar / souk, you will be hassled constantly, unless you sit at a cafe for a drink. A friend of a friend claimed not to speak English, only Basque - no fear, the traders found a Basque speaker to hassle him...
planeguy727 From United States of America, joined Mar 2007, 1274 posts, RR: 1
Reply 2, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 2 days 13 hours ago) and read 2691 times:
Quoting signol (Reply 1): - Aside from the Giza pyramids, visit the ones at Saqqara - older than Giza, you can see the development of the design.
I agree. Learned and experienced more at Saqqara. A group of four of us just hired a taxi for a couple of hours and it was quite affordable. Plus our driver knew a few spots to get better pictures.
Quoting signol (Reply 1): - The Citadel, including the military museum
Agreed. Time well spent.
Quoting signol (Reply 1): - We also took a ride on a felucca, traditional sailing boat (bring your own beer!)
For this activity I recommend waiting until you get to Luxor. The prices are lower than in Cairo.
- Visit the Egyptian Museum. But don't just do the highlights. I spent a day there and really experience so much more.
- Khan El-Khalili in Cairo is a great adventure. I choose to start in the local section and just wander. In the beginning you will feel like you'll be lost forever, but the people are great and very happy to see interest in something other than the touristy bits near the square.
- In Luxor visit the temples at Karnak, but plan some time. The place is massive.
- I really enjoyed the early morning donkey ride into the valley of the kings. Yes you have to get up before the sun, but seeing the sun rise from the valley was great. Make the time to walk over the mountain to the valley of the workers. Much to be seen and experienced there.
- the Colossi of Memnon are often skipped by people visiting Luxor. I don't know why.
SOBHI51 From Saudi Arabia, joined Jun 2003, 3899 posts, RR: 23
Reply 5, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 2 days 8 hours ago) and read 2663 times:
A good company for your tours is Bahi travel agency.
Tried them last year while with my daughter. They arranged everything, domestic air travel, tours, transportation even a Nile cruise.
Contact me if you need further information.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam