Airbus3801 From United Kingdom, joined Apr 2004, 1089 posts, RR: 5 Posted (9 years 10 months 2 weeks 17 hours ago) and read 3871 times:
OUt of the major UK carriers, BA, VS, and BMI, in order how would you put them
2. I would probably put VS here but I have never flown them
3. BMI, my trip with them from LHR-Belfast City was not what I would call enjoyable
However, I have heard the BMI international is especially good but I still think VS would beat them out there.
Geoffm From United Kingdom, joined Feb 2004, 2111 posts, RR: 6
Reply 2, posted (9 years 10 months 2 weeks 13 hours ago) and read 3850 times:
Same as Dan. My transatlantic experiences have been about 5 on BA and 6 on Virgin, and Virgin beat them hands down on each trip. BA Europe is no better, though Virgin obviously don't do European. BMI I've only done one trip to HAJ and back, but by all accounts their MAN-Chicago run is excellent.
VS4ever From United States of America, joined Jun 2004, 120 posts, RR: 2
Reply 3, posted (9 years 10 months 2 weeks 13 hours ago) and read 3847 times:
Looks like I am the first one here to have flown all 3, albeit I flew BMI a few years back.
Apart from the fact that my ID kinda gives it away. I would choose the following:
1. VS - Just can't fault them, they have had issues on flights that I have been on, but the service has been fine and any complaints dealt with quickly and fairly and apart from Arcadia, the IFE is 2nd to none. Even some personal touches in Economy, which I will happily talk about if anyone wants to ask. (and no it wasn't the mile high club with one of the stewardesses, my wife was with me!)
2. BA - Whilst I'm sure the VIP's get great service in First and Club, cattle class (because that what I think it amounts to), sucks, 11 hours on a tub of an aircraft, with poor service (LHR to SFO) is just not good enough. I felt like just another faceless passenger.
3. BMI - it's a little unfair on BMI to class them as #3 in this list, because I only flew them once, but it was on a Friday night, the service was dire (BHX-BRU) and I literally had my in-flight sandwich thrown at me!, I hear great things about their international service, but I am yet to try it so I can't comment.
Babybus From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 6, posted (9 years 10 months 1 week 6 days 14 hours ago) and read 3802 times:
Although it hurts me to say it but
1) BA : You get what you paid for. Economy class is getting worse every year but I like the staff.
2) BMI: Had some great flts and some really horrible flts with them all due to the attitude of the staff.
3) VS: I will never forgive them for cancelling a flight out of JFK I was on and leaving us on the plane for over 5 hours while they thought about it. It was the middle of the night and I was due back at work the following morning. Weekend ruined. Once bitten, twice shy.
Speedbudgie From United Kingdom, joined Nov 2003, 111 posts, RR: 0
Reply 7, posted (9 years 10 months 1 week 6 days 11 hours ago) and read 3791 times:
I love Virgin for its fresh young image. It is #2 for BA, they are very classy and an excellent airline overall. Perhaps when I am older and relate less and less to the VS product, BA will claim the top spot.
bmi I have never flown. But BA european services are hard to beat in my experience.
BA380 From United Kingdom, joined May 2004, 1466 posts, RR: 8
Reply 10, posted (9 years 10 months 1 week 6 days 3 hours ago) and read 3774 times:
All three are very good...
1) BA - for consistency. Never had a experience with them. All 4 classes are good value for money.
2) bmi - usually very good. the a/c have a quality interior and look new (lots of them are!)
3) still very good and still probably in my top 5 airlines in the world, but sometimes let down by inconsistent operations. When they are good they are great, prob the best, but sometimes they are woeful in terms of service.
VS744 From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2001, 677 posts, RR: 1
Reply 13, posted (9 years 10 months 1 week 18 hours ago) and read 3742 times:
1) VS - I have spent over 200 hours in the air with VS on 744, 343, 346 and they NEVER let me down.
2) BMI - Only flown then a few times between LHR and MAN and LHR and DUB, but always been fantastic service.
3) BA - If only the 1% of miserable flight crew they have didnt end up on every flight I have taken! and those awful cheese and ham sandwiches they have served up to me for the last 20 flights I have taken with them recently!! Apart from that, they're "ok"...