Print from Airliners.net discussion forum
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5385902/

Topic: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: LimaFoxTango
Posted 2012-02-13 06:30:28 and read 11565 times.

An undisclosed buyer has signed a firm purchase agreement for five Bombardier NextGen Q400 turboprops, the Canadian airframer announced today.

The transaction, which is valued at $160 million at list prices, comes only four days after Bombardier identified China Express as the undisclosed buyer of 11 CRJ900 regional jets in October.

Bombardier executives were in China last week as part of a Canadian trade delegation to Beijing led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Also last week Bombardier announced an order by unidentified customer for six CRJ1000 regional jets and options to buy 18 more.

The Q400 is now in service or on order by about 40 operators, Bombardier said.

Sales of the Q400 plunged last year to only seven orders. The ATR 72 turboprop, however, amassed more than 150 orders in 2011.

But Bombardier has made strides in the first six weeks of 2011, already attracting 11 combined orders or purchase agreements for CRJ1000s and Q400s.

"The turboprop lives on," said Mike Arcamone, president of Bombardier Commercial Aircraft.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...s-firm-deal-for-five-q400s-368144/

********************************

The Q400 sales seem to be gaining some momentum these days. Any idea as to who this mystery company might be?

[Edited 2012-02-13 06:40:36]

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: ThomasCook
Posted 2012-02-13 06:34:42 and read 11532 times.

Could this be the order for EuroLOT that was being speculated about just a week or two ago?

ThomasCook

[Edited 2012-02-13 06:35:29]

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: BlueSky1976
Posted 2012-02-13 06:41:56 and read 11477 times.

It's quite possible, yes.

I'd give it 80% chance this is EuroLOT, 20% chance it's someone else.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: jamesontheroad
Posted 2012-02-13 07:47:15 and read 11247 times.

Westjet, moving very very very quickly? 

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: brilondon
Posted 2012-02-13 07:52:24 and read 11202 times.

Quoting jamesontheroad (Reply 3):
Westjet, moving very very very quickly?

I was thinking the same thing but they want 10 times that many planes and would probably get a better price if they ordered more at once and I don't think they have finished evaluating the ATR series of aircraft.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: hoya
Posted 2012-02-13 08:19:17 and read 11083 times.

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 2):
It's quite possible, yes.

I'd give it 80% chance this is EuroLOT, 20% chance it's someone else

Wouldn't an order of five Q400s be too small for EuroLOT (K2)? They currently have I believe 8 ATR72s and 3 ATR42s in their fleet.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: bohica
Posted 2012-02-13 08:23:42 and read 11061 times.

I wonder if it's the mystery carrier being discussed in this thread:

Newport News (PHF) Airport To Announce New Airline (by TakeORF Feb 1 2012 in Civil Aviation)

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: acelanzarote
Posted 2012-02-13 08:55:17 and read 10895 times.

Are EuroLot unhappy with the ATR´s then? 5 Dash 8´s would hardly cover for 11 ATR´s anyway.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: aeroblogger
Posted 2012-02-13 09:06:12 and read 10842 times.

SG (SpiceJet) is rumoured to be considering ordering more Q400...

Not sure if this is them.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: threepoint
Posted 2012-02-13 09:20:51 and read 10767 times.

Quoting brilondon (Reply 4):
I don't think they have finished evaluating the ATR series of aircraft.

True, but I would imagine the decision has been all but made already. Stranger things have happened though...

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: baje427
Posted 2012-02-13 09:25:17 and read 10737 times.

Could it be SN? OS has been operating Q400 on their behalf maybe they decided to get their own?

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: dkny
Posted 2012-02-13 10:02:35 and read 10550 times.

Top up order from ET maybee??

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: LimaFoxTango
Posted 2012-02-13 11:21:53 and read 10328 times.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 8):
SG (SpiceJet) is rumoured to be considering ordering more Q400...

if im not mistaken, spicejet ordered 15 with 15 options. id think they'd exercise those options first before ordering more. plus why would they want to be unnamed?

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: 817Dreamliiner
Posted 2012-02-13 11:39:16 and read 10263 times.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 12):
if im not mistaken, spicejet ordered 15 with 15 options. id think they'd exercise those options first before ordering more. plus why would they want to be unnamed?

But cant they exercise just some of the options or do they have to exercise all at once? and they can remain unidentified for PR reasons

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: scarebus03
Posted 2012-02-13 12:52:43 and read 10034 times.

It's possibly Air Berlin as they may be on the hunt for more

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: B6WNQX
Posted 2012-02-13 12:56:54 and read 10017 times.

Is there even a remote chance that QX/AS could be behind this?

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: gmcc
Posted 2012-02-13 13:19:14 and read 9771 times.

Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 15):
Is there even a remote chance that QX/AS could be behind this?

There is a remote change as the Air Group has 10 options for Q's and there was something about 2 options for the Q's this year mentioned on the fourth quarter earnings call. Combine that with the fact that QX is going to be doing a lot of new flying out of SAN might be stretching the fleet kind of thin even with the increased reliability.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: krisyyz
Posted 2012-02-13 13:21:05 and read 9734 times.

Quoting brilondon (Reply 4):
Quoting jamesontheroad (Reply 3):
Westjet, moving very very very quickly?

I was thinking the same thing but they want 10 times that many planes and would probably get a better price if they ordered more at once and I don't think they have finished evaluating the ATR series of aircraft.



I can't see them only ordering 5. I tweeted WS this weekend about the Q400 order and they replied saying "no decision has been made, it's too early"

I wonder if this order has anything to do with the grounding of MA since they had a LOI for 4 Q400s.

KrisYYZ

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: CRJ900X
Posted 2012-02-13 13:23:40 and read 9698 times.

Quoting dkny (Reply 11):
Top up order from ET maybee??



I would say from the article below, that this order is for Ethiopian Airlines. The article states that the airline is looking for an additional 5 Q400's (with one aircraft going to ASKY), and with this order this would fulfill Ethiopian's regional needs and that's another reason why no options were obtained in this transaction.

Link: http://sky-today.com/ethiopian-airli...kker-50s-seeks-q400sflightsmaster/

I wonder if Bombardier will announce any further orders at the SIngapore airshow.

Cheers,
CRJ900X

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: Dash8Driver16
Posted 2012-02-13 17:51:14 and read 7619 times.

Everyone knows that these are going to PDT.

On a serious note how long will it take for these 5 to be delivered?

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: freeze3192
Posted 2012-02-13 19:48:22 and read 6999 times.

Quoting Dash8Driver16 (Reply 19):
Everyone knows that these are going to PDT.

On a serious note how long will it take for these 5 to be delivered?

This is A.net there are probably 5 people on here who know what PDT means.

Besides, they aren't going to PDT they're going to C5! Hah!

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: planesntrains
Posted 2012-02-13 20:00:51 and read 6911 times.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Thread starter):
Sales of the Q400 plunged last year to only seven orders. The ATR 72 turboprop, however, amassed more than 150 orders in 2011.

But Bombardier has made strides in the first six weeks of 2011, already attracting 11 combined orders or purchase agreements for CRJ1000s and Q400s.

150 ATR to 7 Q400 last year? Wow. But to call an order for 5 in mid February making "strides" seems slightly....reaching.  
Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 15):
Is there even a remote chance that QX/AS could be behind this?

Perhaps, but I can't see it at this time. I'd think that AS would simply want to max out the operational and profit-making options for the existing fleet while potentially putting future additional flying to a different outside carrier. Not sure how their contract reads in regards to this, but OO is on the job already with the CR7 and there's been talk here on A.net about their need for something in the 90-100 seat range.

-Dave

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: Dash8Driver16
Posted 2012-02-13 22:58:32 and read 6252 times.

C5? Bet there are 50 people who know what PDT is for every one who knows what C5 is!!! hahahahahaha.. 

I don't think these will be going to QX/AS I am not sure how maxed QX is on aircraft block hours per day. but they are adding flying so maybe this is preemptive.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: dtwpilot225
Posted 2012-02-14 08:44:33 and read 4784 times.

These are going to Pinnacle/Mesaba for united. watch for it soon.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: CRJ900
Posted 2012-02-14 10:54:39 and read 4620 times.

Perhaps this is Bombardier's year.

If they get WestJet's order for 40 turboprops, this one, top-up orders from Ethiopian, SpiceJet, Colgan, LH Group plus firm orders from options for the 18 CRJ1000 announced last week plus top-up of CRJ900s from a few airlines, and then some CSeries orders - could be a busy year for BBD  

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: scarebus03
Posted 2012-02-14 13:37:47 and read 4538 times.

It very well may be Bombardier's year as the ATR line is pretty full until 2014

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: dkny
Posted 2012-02-16 05:06:05 and read 4200 times.

I guessed right they are for ET

"Bombardier Aerospace has confirmed Ethiopian Airlines to be the customer which placed a firm order for five Q400 NextGen regional airliners on February 13, 2012."

http://www.airlinesanddestinations.c...-for-five-q400-nextgen-turboprops/

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: Devilfish
Posted 2012-02-16 10:25:50 and read 4080 times.

Quoting scarebus03 (Reply 25):
It very well may be Bombardier's year as the ATR line is pretty full until 2014

Look again.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-air-orders-27-atr-72-600s-368350/

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: Viscount724
Posted 2012-02-16 16:38:16 and read 3829 times.

Quoting dkny (Reply 26):
I guessed right they are for ET

"Bombardier Aerospace has confirmed Ethiopian Airlines to be the customer which placed a firm order for five Q400 NextGen regional airliners on February 13, 2012."

Horizon Air also ordered two more Q400s.
http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engine...orizon-air-ethiopian-airlines-0216

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: baje427
Posted 2012-02-16 16:53:31 and read 3797 times.

While these orders are not impressive like the ATR if the can get the WS deal and a top up from PD QF, and Colgan the program would gain some momentum. On another note I read the Q400 utilises very little composites could BBD perhaps seek to make it lighter/ more efficient through composites?

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: LimaFoxTango
Posted 2012-02-16 17:17:13 and read 3757 times.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 29):
While these orders are not impressive like the ATR if the can get the WS deal and a top up from PD QF, and Colgan the program would gain some momentum.

I will bet my next 6 salaries WS will not go with ATR.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: RWA380
Posted 2012-02-16 17:31:25 and read 3740 times.

Quoting gmcc (Reply 16):
Quoting B6WNQX (Reply 15):Is there even a remote chance that QX/AS could be behind this?
There is a remote change as the Air Group has 10 options for Q's and there was something about 2 options for the Q's this year mentioned on the fourth quarter earnings call. Combine that with the fact that QX is going to be doing a lot of new flying out of SAN might be stretching the fleet kind of thin even with the increased reliability.

I see no reason to speculate further, these frames will be going to AS/QX to beef up this summers increased flying, from PDX, even though seasonal, those same frames will take on routes in California and maybe some Mexico as well in the fall and winter, as well as increased SAN expansion. I am not able to substantiate my statement other than, it was my gut feeling when I read the this threads title.  

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: planesntrains
Posted 2012-02-16 18:03:44 and read 3701 times.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 30):
I will bet my next 6 salaries WS will not go with ATR.

How does it work for a Canadian airline to acquire a Canadian airliner? ExIm wouldn't be available I'd think, so there might be an incentive to shopping abroad. Anyone know more on this?

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 31):
I see no reason to speculate further, these frames will be going to AS/QX

Well, it looks like the 5 frames being discussed are going to ET, but that AAG has exercised options on the two frames mentioned in a separate post. I'm surprised, only because I figured QX was right-sizing, but maybe they aren't the right size anymore?  

-Dave

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: JoeCanuck
Posted 2012-02-16 20:46:22 and read 3562 times.

Quoting planesntrains (Reply 32):
How does it work for a Canadian airline to acquire a Canadian airliner? ExIm wouldn't be available I'd think, so there might be an incentive to shopping abroad. Anyone know more on this?

I don't think BBD or Emb aircraft are covered by the home market rule.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: yeelep
Posted 2012-02-18 16:57:01 and read 3262 times.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 28):
Horizon Air also ordered two more Q400s.
http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engine...orizon-air-ethiopian-airlines-0216
Quoting planesntrains (Reply 32):
Well, it looks like the 5 frames being discussed are going to ET, but that AAG has exercised options on the two frames mentioned in a separate post. I'm surprised, only because I figured QX was right-sizing, but maybe they aren't the right size anymore?  

What that article fails to mention is the two Q400ng's for Horizon are going to be replacement frames for two earlier models. So no net increase.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: 737-990
Posted 2012-02-18 17:37:23 and read 3199 times.

Quoting yeelep (Reply 34):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 28):
Horizon Air also ordered two more Q400s.
http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engine...orizon-air-ethiopian-airlines-0216
Quoting planesntrains (Reply 32):
Well, it looks like the 5 frames being discussed are going to ET, but that AAG has exercised options on the two frames mentioned in a separate post. I'm surprised, only because I figured QX was right-sizing, but maybe they aren't the right size anymore?  

What that article fails to mention is the two Q400ng's for Horizon are going to be replacement frames for two earlier models. So no net increase.

The good news is that these new a/c will replace the 2 chinese planes that QX bought from Hainan Airlines. Those 2 are the worst planes in QX's fleet in terms of reliability so good riddance. From the internal post looks like QX will receive the new aircraft in April and June but won't' get ride of the older ones until September and October keeping then as spares for the summer.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: planesntrains
Posted 2012-02-18 19:17:11 and read 3110 times.

Quoting yeelep (Reply 34):
What that article fails to mention is the two Q400ng's for Horizon are going to be replacement frames for two earlier models. So no net increase.

Well, that makes more sense to me in regards to QX expansion, or lack thereof.

-Dave

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: RWA380
Posted 2012-02-19 02:22:07 and read 2880 times.

Quoting 737-990 (Reply 35):
From the internal post looks like QX will receive the new aircraft in April and June but won't' get ride of the older ones until September and October keeping then as spares for the summer.

Makes the extra seasonal stuff from PDX, BZN, BLI, for the two Q400's staying the summer, I'm thinking QX/AS will take down some frequencies in the NW, and expand the SAN experiment or find some more CA flying to do. I still think QX/AS could use a few more Q400's

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: 817Dreamliiner
Posted 2012-02-19 05:01:10 and read 2772 times.

Quoting 737-990 (Reply 35):
The good news is that these new a/c will replace the 2 chinese planes that QX bought from Hainan Airlines. Those 2 are the worst planes in QX's fleet in terms of reliability so good riddance.

Ok im confused a bit here, what 2 aircraft are you talking about? As far as I know QX only operates Q400s and Hainan never had any of these if I remember correctly, can you point out which aircrafts your talking about?

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: YYZAMS
Posted 2012-02-19 06:50:22 and read 2690 times.

I am thinking WestJet is already starting to get that RJ carrier going!

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: Polot
Posted 2012-02-19 07:05:49 and read 2664 times.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 38):
Ok im confused a bit here, what 2 aircraft are you talking about? As far as I know QX only operates Q400s and Hainan never had any of these if I remember correctly, can you point out which aircrafts your talking about?

QX has two Q400s from Chang'an Airlines, which merged with a few other carriers to form Grand China Air, which is a subsidiary of the Hainan group. They are N424QX and N425QX.

Topic: RE: Bombardier Announces Firm Deal For Five Q400s
Username: 817Dreamliiner
Posted 2012-02-19 08:25:52 and read 2557 times.

Quoting Polot (Reply 40):
QX has two Q400s from Chang'an Airlines, which merged with a few other carriers to form Grand China Air, which is a subsidiary of the Hainan group. They are N424QX and N425QX.

Ok, didnt know Chang'an had Q400s at all, thanks


The messages in this discussion express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of Airliners.net or any entity associated with Airliners.net.

Copyright © Lundgren Aerospace. All rights reserved.
http://www.airliners.net/