Planenutz From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Posted (11 years 5 months 5 days 23 hours ago) and read 3310 times:
While at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago I realized that the airport literally has everything that a passenger could ever want for traveling. From showers for passengers to having spectacles made in 15 min, the airport seems to have everything in at least one or all of the terminals, or at least within the airport complex (the church, bus station, etc).
The only other airport that I have visited that has services comparable to LHR is AMS Schipohl, with its own airside hotel amongst other services and stores.
Among the airports that I have visited that contain unique services is LAS where there is a fully outfitted 24 hour gym where you can even rent workout gear.
Anybody else have any interesting findings with regard to airports that "have it all", or airports with unique customer services not normally found in your average airport?
PW100 From Netherlands, joined Jan 2002, 2455 posts, RR: 12
Reply 9, posted (11 years 5 months 5 days 11 hours ago) and read 3022 times:
AMS really has it all!!!
Beyond all the usual terminal and non-terminal services, AMS also provides the follwoing services:
In terminal available for [transferring] pax: [no need to pass customs when transferring between international flights]:
* [Arguebly] the largest tax free shoppinbg facilities;
* Hotel in terminal beyond customs;
* Shower rooms in terminal;
* Extensive Communications Centre, including multiple internet broadband connections, Wireless LAN 802.11b;
* Museum [Rijksmuseum] with some very famous paintings including Rembrandt and van Gogh;
* Silence Centre/Place of Worship for all religions;
* Back to life massage services;
* Casino [HlywdCatft, enjoy yourself...!]
* Over 40 [!] bars and restaurants beyond security including everything from bar/bistro to MacD to 4/5 star-restaurants;
In terminal before security check:
* Shopping Centre for daily and non-daily stuff, mainly aimed at employees and visitors [over 20 different stores];
* Guided Tours of Airport [including ramp bus ride, not sure if they still do this];
* Guided Tours of Holland;
* Panorama Terrace [magnificent ramp views, though currently closed due to war situation];
* Over 20 bars/restaurants before security including everything from bar/bistro to Burger King to 4/5 star-restaurant;
* Six-platform railway station directly under the terminal with approx 30 departing trains every hour;
* Multiple daily train services to Brussels/Paris;
Plus everything that I forgot. . . .
PS. AMS does not [yet] has a gym or a swimming pool with airside view [like SIN].
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"