MSYtristar From United States of America, joined Aug 2005, 6242 posts, RR: 51 Posted (9 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 18 hours ago) and read 1284 times:
Just as a heads up, this post contains material that may be offensive to readers who dislike MSY and have no interest in hearing about the latest at the airport. Reader discretion is advised.
* The Boeing Connexion 737-400 is still enjoying the nice weather down here at one of the FBO's...been here for about a week now.
* Air Canada has been bringing in more A320's recently (replacing the usual A319), always a nice sight.
* Today we had 3 charters to Montego Bay...2 Miami Air 727-200's and 1 Champion Air 727-200...plus an Allegiant Air MD-87 charter from Reno. It was a great experience walking under the t-tail 727 once again at gate C-1, brought back some great memories.
* Frontier is adding a 2nd flight (A319) to DEN as of 2/1/04. Although it is scheduled to run just until the first of March (extra capacity for the prime ski season, Mardi Gras, etc), there is a chance that it will be extended, especially since Ted, Fred, Jed or whatever will start flghts here that month. Capacity on F9's afternoon departure to DEN increased from A318 to A319 on 11/1, and it will increase once more in early January, when the 319 gets replaced by a 737-300.
* American's new MSY-BOS nonstop is "doing very well", according to an AA supervisor down here. They are hoping that it will be extended to become a year-round service.
* Expect to hear an announcement regarding a new Alaska Airlines flight between Seattle/Tacoma and New Orleans before too long.
And just for the hell of it....some MSY photos....
MSYtristar From United States of America, joined Aug 2005, 6242 posts, RR: 51 Reply 3, posted (9 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 18 hours ago) and read 1241 times:
Haven't heard much about YX coming back, although a flight to MKE with the new "Saver Service" could probably do well. YX never promoted itself down here at all....less even that Vanguard did....no radio, tv, or print ads.
The MSY-SEA route sees over 300 passengers/day (around 330 I think), so certainly a daily 737-700 could work.
MSYtristar From United States of America, joined Aug 2005, 6242 posts, RR: 51 Reply 5, posted (9 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 17 hours ago) and read 1203 times:
National did indeed have a mini hub here at MSY. They flew nonstop to LAX,LAS,SFO,IAH,TPA,MCO,MIA,FLL,MOB, etc. The DC10's were used on flights to IAH/MIA/LAX/SFO mostly...727's on the other flights. They also flew MSY-AMS and MSY-CDG with the -10's.
They had a large operation from IAH as well, with flights to most of the above mentioned cities plus SEA and SAN.
Pan Am continued to operate many of these National flights from MSY and IAH through 1984, when Ed Acker decided it was time to butcher the airline's domestic feeder routes.
Aaway From United States of America, joined Oct 2003, 1443 posts, RR: 14 Reply 7, posted (9 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 15 hours ago) and read 1133 times:
That's N'awlins, fella! Why the heck would you want to eat at the airport
Always felt that MSY was somewhat undeserved considering the amount of tourist that city draws. I usually visit about thrice a year. Lots of gate space to accomodate additional service.
With a choice between changing one's mind & proving there's no need to do so, most everyone gets busy on the proof.