1. GF flies 5 weekly UAE (AUH)-NBO flights whilst the competition KQ flies 10 weekly and EK 14 weekly DXB-NBO. So a no brainer here as the extra frequencies are anyday more popular with the high yield J and many Y class pax plus KQs and EKs F-Flyer programs are better than GFs !!!
2. GF flies old worn out B 767s of 15 years to NBO with no tvs and a hopeless 2 star inflight product. EK flies the latest B 777s and A 330s to NBO with tvs in every seat and has a 4.5 star level service. KQ though flying B 767s on the route, theirs are 2 years old only and have tvs in every seat plus a 76 inch seat pitch with 160 degree recline in J class.
3. EK and KQ market their products very aggressively in the Kenyan market unlike GF!!!
GF at one time chased after the North American backpacker's market to Kenya. But, primarily, their NBO service was a link for South Asians spread across Uganda, Kenya & Tanzania to fly to India since AI service was fairly limited. EK entered the market aggressively, and GF could never seem to rationalize its hubs, a problem that continues to plague GF. Meanwhile, KQ, KL, BA have all dramatically reduced their tour fares to NBO from North America, making GF all but redundant.
Behramjee From Canada, joined Aug 2003, 4439 posts, RR: 43 Reply 2, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 6 days 19 hours ago) and read 1272 times:
I wouldnt be surprised if within 5-6 years ETIHAD becomes the sole carrier for AUH and GF is only owned by BAH and MUS govts and therefore resulting in BAH becoming the main big hub which is nowadays shared with AUH!!!
Behramjee From Canada, joined Aug 2003, 4439 posts, RR: 43 Reply 3, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 6 days 19 hours ago) and read 1257 times:
As far as your USA point goes, its a waste of time for a US-CAN traveller flying GF to NBO.
1. CAN-USA to LHR on any airline
2. GF from LHR to AUH
3. AUH-NBO which is only 5 weekly and that too on an old worn out B 763!!!
4. Whereas the smart pax would take BA with an amazing inflight product in all 3 classes via a single LHR stop to NBO and they fly daily all over North America and to NBO!!! And since you say their fares are cheaper + they give tours...who wouldnt choose BA over GF.
5. However be prepared from this JUNE for EMIRATES to take a chunk of the East African market due to its nonstop flights to JFK!!! I wouldnt be surprised at all if EK marketed aggressively in USA its fares to its East and Southern African destinations.
PA110 From United States of America, joined Dec 2003, 1950 posts, RR: 26 Reply 4, posted (9 years 2 months 3 weeks 6 days 19 hours ago) and read 1240 times:
The bulk of the market GF targeted really were motivated by price rather any other consideration (like IFE, inflight service, etc...) But, since EK, BA and most carriers have matched GF's pricing, those other factors have now come into play, and as you have indicated, GF cannot compete.