Tjwgrr From United States of America, joined Mar 2000, 2626 posts, RR: 2
Reply 4, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 2 days 19 hours ago) and read 3830 times:
Owner sounds like it's Front Page Tours. I had read NWA had some ownership at some point in Champion's history.
From Champion's web-site:
Champion Air is the largest dedicated provider of charter airlift in the airline industry.
Based in the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Champion Air currently operates a fleet of twelve Boeing 727-200 aircraft and serves a wide variety of customers that include professional sports teams, corporations and major tour package wholesalers.
Champion Air was originally formed as MGM Grand Air in 1993 by the MGM organization with the purpose of providing trans-continental air travel to the high-end customer (corporate executives, actors/actresses, etc.) at a premium price. As operating results failed to meet expectations, MGM exited the airline industry, selling this division to Front Page Tours, a packager of charter travel targeting attendees of high profile events (e.g. the Kentucky Derby, the Super Bowl, etc.) and professional sport teams. Current ownership acquired Champion Air in 1997 with a specific purpose in mind - to provide safe, reliable, economical air travel for a range of customers. While our mission has changed, our commitment to providing our customers with a high level of personal service has remained constant. The company's mission statement embodies the principles upon which the airline has been rebuilt:
"Striving to surpass the expectations of our customers by providing a superior travel experience built around safety and reliability at an economical price."
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.
Dc8jet From United States of America, joined Feb 2004, 333 posts, RR: 0
Reply 9, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 2 days 10 hours ago) and read 3538 times:
Front Page Tours was a tour operator which leased 5 727s from Express One .
MGM Grand Air was a scheduled airline operating upscale service. Since the scheduled operation wasn't going well they went into the sports charter business. In 1994 MGM sold the airline to a company called Grand Holdings which was then bought by Connie Kalitta (Scott's dad). he bought the company mainly for it's 3 DC-8-62s. Front page tours acquired an 80% interest in Grand Holdings and they renamed the airline Champion Air. In 1997
60% of Champion was bought by Carl Pohland and the remaining 40% by Northwest. I don't know if Northwest has sold their interest or not. A large portion of Champion's business comes from MLT Vacations which is owned by Northwest.
Stirling From Italy, joined Jun 2004, 3943 posts, RR: 20
Reply 11, posted (11 years 11 months 2 weeks 1 day 16 hours ago) and read 3357 times:
North Island Naval Air Station San Diego. California?
Is that a military charter? What military facilities in MN warrant such traffic? To be honest, I can't even think of a military base in MN. Or could it be a contracter?