Quickmover From United States of America, joined Mar 2004, 2464 posts, RR: 0 Reply 1, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 5 hours ago) and read 2380 times:
Can Southwest bid for those jets ahead of ATA themselves? It would seem like Boeing would want to consider the future of the 757s as well. If the 737s go to Southwest or anyone else, the wet lease fees they could generate would go away and make it harder for ATA to pay for the 757s they want to keep.
Dbo861 From United States of America, joined May 2004, 792 posts, RR: 1 Reply 8, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 2056 times:
My questions is if they could handle 45 more flights a day at MDW, why are they looking for more gates. The article stated they aren't currently at capacity at MDW, and WN has a fetish for keeping costs as low as possible. It doesn't seem like them to want to get more gates when they could better utilize the gates they currently have. Are they planning major expansion at MDW? Maybe that would be why they are looking for the added gates, or are they trying to keep competitors from getting in? The article didn't state how many gates they are looking at, but are these some of the gates AirTran is trying to get as well?
Also, if they get the 738s, wouldn't that also change things for them, because don't 738s require a 4th flight attendant. The reason they haven't gone bigger before is because they would have needed more cabin crew which they wouldn't need in their smaller 73Gs, 735s and 733s.
N1120a From United States of America, joined Dec 2003, 25852 posts, RR: 79 Reply 9, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 2003 times:
While the 738s would mean they would have to add an extra algorithim to their crew management software, the extra seats in the 738 would more than make up for what they would be paying the F/A. The have flights overbooked, or with people on standby all the time, and this would make it that much easier for WN to make money. Also, the 738 has complete commonality with the 73G, and full pilot commonality with the 733 and 735, so it is not an issue.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss
D950 From United States of America, joined Jul 2004, 493 posts, RR: 2 Reply 10, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 1 hour ago) and read 1963 times:
As usual N1120a hits the nail square with the capacity issue. I have always thought the 738 or even better the 739 would be utopia for their high vlume routes. Do the ATA birds have any entertainment system?? This may throw WN into a tizzy!
Resting on your laurels is a synonym for flirting with disaster
Dbo861 From United States of America, joined May 2004, 792 posts, RR: 1 Reply 11, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 1 hour ago) and read 1923 times:
I agree that the 738 will probably be profitable for WN, the only problem is that with the need for another flight attendent, the flight crews on 738s won't be as flexible. Right now, any flight crew can transfer from one flight to any other Southwest flight without adding or removing any crew members. This would be a big change for Southwest.
If WN does get the TZ 738s, will they order more to get a bigger fleet of 738s...or even the 739?
Clipper002 From United States of America, joined Aug 2004, 671 posts, RR: 14 Reply 12, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 1 hour ago) and read 1920 times:
Before we all go off conjecturing what might happen, don't forget any and all plans must be approved by the bankruptcy court.The creditors including the lessors of the a/c also have a large say in what happens to their assets. It's nice to dream of various scenarios, but no-one can accurately predict what will the final outcome will look like.
Starrion From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 1081 posts, RR: 2 Reply 13, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 5 days 23 hours ago) and read 1799 times:
Would WN pick up any of TZ personnel or would they staff everything themselves? Their corporate culture suggests that they would staff in-house but would new-hire TZ personnel to fill their needs with the new A/c.
I imagine WN would get pretty favorable terms to absorb all these birds.
OPNLguy From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Reply 14, posted (8 years 6 months 3 weeks 5 days 23 hours ago) and read 1784 times:
>>>Right now, any flight crew can transfer from one flight to any other Southwest flight without adding or removing any crew members.
Not quite true. Not -every- crew can jump into a 737-200, since their numbers have been dwindling and both the aircraft/crews concentrated into a smaller (read: not systemwide) area. In rough numbers, 20% of the crews can fly the -200, and the other 80% are no longer current to.
As I've said before, should SWA actually acquire -800s, we have the computer horsepower and personnel skill to track a 4th F/A...