United4EverDEN From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 8 hours ago) and read 1943 times:
I was curious if anyone knew how long the ORD ground holds are now-a-days? I connect in ORD on Friday the 21st. It is a 26 minute connection on AA. I am thinking of taking an earlier standby flight especially since it is supposed to snow on Friday. Our flight leaves DEN at 530PM. What does everyone think, is 26 minutes enough? I know last time I connected in ORD, the ground hold was about 35 minutes long and that would make me too late if that happened again.
Aaway From United States of America, joined Oct 2003, 1611 posts, RR: 17
Reply 2, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 8 hours ago) and read 1914 times:
Depending on your final destination, sounds to me like you'll be connecting to a flight from AA's final bank of departures if flying eastbound. Probably prudent to standby for an earlier DEN departure.
With a choice between changing one's mind & proving there's no need to do so, most everyone gets busy on the proof.
RoseFlyer From United States of America, joined Feb 2004, 10415 posts, RR: 52
Reply 4, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 7 hours ago) and read 1858 times:
The weather around this part of the country is looking pretty bad for the rest of the week. There are about 4 storm systems lined up to dump snow on Illinois/Indiana. Good luck with the flight, but there is a good chance something will go wrong. Of course when one flight is late, then others are usually late too, so you may be in luck. Avoiding Chicago this time of year is always a good move. Fortunately things are going quite well today even though there is some light snow.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!
Cubsrule From United States of America, joined May 2004, 23879 posts, RR: 21
Reply 6, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 6 hours ago) and read 1820 times:
Well, if ORD is on a serious flow control program (which is pretty likely given the forecast for Friday), AA's bank will simply shift later due to across the board delays. You have a better shot making the flight if you stand by, but I would imagine you will make it regardless.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
SHUPirate1 From United States of America, joined Sep 2003, 3670 posts, RR: 15
Reply 7, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 2 days 6 hours ago) and read 1785 times:
United4EverDEN-Here's what, according to my timetable, you'd be on:
AA1432, leaving DEN 5:32P, arriving ORD 8:56P
AA1546, leaving ORD 9:38P, arriving DCA 12:16A
According to the sources I have, AA1546 is coming in from MCI, leaving MCI at 7:16P, and arriving at ORD at 8:45P...you probably should be in good shape, unless O'Scare lives up to the preceeding moniker...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!
Jsnww81 From United States of America, joined Jan 2002, 2220 posts, RR: 14
Reply 8, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 1 day 19 hours ago) and read 1702 times:
ORD is a very tempermental airport. When it's bad, it's VERY bad. However, on good days it's possible to cruise in and out on connecting flights with no trouble at all. Evenings do tend to be much more backed up than mornings, particularly for American.
The forecast is for light to moderate snow Friday evening. That doesn't bode well, but again, it's all in luck of the draw. I've flown out of ORD in snow with as little as a 15 minute delay.
As RoseFlyer said, I'd bank on something going wrong. Plan for a delay - but who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised.
DesertJets From United States of America, joined Feb 2000, 7856 posts, RR: 14
Reply 9, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 1 day 19 hours ago) and read 1692 times:
Even under ideal conditions <45 minutes would seem like a very tight connection at O'Hare. If the weather forecast continues to look iffy you might want to checkout Priceline and make a hotel reservation for that night (for $10 extra on your bid you can get a canceleable reservation).
Like Jsnww81 said, plan for the worst... that way you will be pleasantly surprised if things go well.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia
Ckfred From United States of America, joined Apr 2001, 5552 posts, RR: 2
Reply 10, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 1 day 16 hours ago) and read 1621 times:
Remember that AA does pad their schedules a bit. I flew ATL-ORD on January 1st, which was a beautiful day for flying. The plane was into the gate 35 minutes early. Granted, we pushed back 5 minutes early at ATL, there was no back up for takeoff, and we took off on 10R, which saves about 10 minutes on taxiing, but that still leaves 20 minutes of padding.
I would still check www.fly.faa.gov to see how far behind ORD is running.
Also, it depends on the wind direction and speed as to how far behind ORD gets. Back in March, I had a flight to LGA that was 45 minutes late departing, on a clear day. Because of winds gusting to 40 mph from the southwest, ORD was set up for departures on 27L, 27R, and 22L, while arrivals were coming in on 22R and 22L. With 22L doing double duty and the Northeast having gotten 6 to 10 inches of snow, ORD was not doing well.
Meteorologist From United States of America, joined Nov 2004, 137 posts, RR: 0
Reply 12, posted (10 years 6 months 2 weeks 1 day 15 hours ago) and read 1573 times:
Given that the system that will be traversing Illinois on Friday should remain in a relatively progressive northwesterly flow regime, the weather shouldn't be hideous at O'hare considering that it could be a lot worse in January. I guess you'll probably get lucky that the flow isn't more amplified because they won't be all that far from the freezing rain/sleet mix. My guess is probably somewhere in the 6 inch range for total snowfall, but that is still a bit in the future to be certain. I'm sure given that it's O'hare it will be awful, and when I checked in for my flight, I'd see if AA could/would route me through DFW instead. It's worth a shot anyway.