Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
CDG Transfer- Luggage Specific Question  
User currently offlineAmhilde From United States of America, joined Oct 2003, 643 posts, RR: 5
Posted (9 years 6 months 1 week 20 hours ago) and read 2535 times:

Im off on Wednesday to CPH via CDG, and its my first time to CDG. There was a rather active thread on CDG transfers a few weeks ago I paid attention to, but I have a slightly more specific question this time regarding luggage.

Im flying AA RNO-ORD-CDG and then picking up AF to CPH with a three hour layover. Can i check my luggage through from RNO all the way to CPH, or is this 1) risky or 2) not adviseable? Would it be a mega hassle to unload off of AA and recheck in seperately on AF? Ill be travelling with a rather heavy suitcase and a box of stuff- easy to wheel about, but if ive got to get it on and off a shuttle bus... thats another story.

Man, i wanted an adventure and to break the LHR monotony, but Im not sure I really bargained for this!  Smile


Hang on tightly, Let go lightly
7 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineOzGlobal From France, joined Nov 2004, 2718 posts, RR: 4
Reply 1, posted (9 years 6 months 1 week 20 hours ago) and read 2519 times:

Unfortunatly, transferred luggage, due to the diabolical inefficiency of ADP who run the airports, has nearly a 10% chance of being delayed or misdirected. More optimitically, you're 90% OK. If you can't afford to miss you luggage temporarily, recheck it. Otherwise, it may be an acceptable risk given the 3hr transfer....


When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.
User currently offlineAmhilde From United States of America, joined Oct 2003, 643 posts, RR: 5
Reply 2, posted (9 years 6 months 1 week 19 hours ago) and read 2510 times:

Thats what I was afraid of... I can afford to miss it temporarily, but obviously would rather not as im going on from CPH to southern Sweden. Is it far from AA bag claim to the AF check-in desks?


Hang on tightly, Let go lightly
User currently offlineOzGlobal From France, joined Nov 2004, 2718 posts, RR: 4
Reply 3, posted (9 years 6 months 1 week 15 hours ago) and read 2485 times:

What terminals are your flights using?


When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.
User currently offlineAmhilde From United States of America, joined Oct 2003, 643 posts, RR: 5
Reply 4, posted (9 years 6 months 6 days 17 hours ago) and read 2441 times:

AA comes in at 2A, AF goes out at 2D

many thanks!



Hang on tightly, Let go lightly
User currently offlineOzGlobal From France, joined Nov 2004, 2718 posts, RR: 4
Reply 5, posted (9 years 6 months 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 2427 times:

Ok, so it's all T2. You should be ok with 3 hrs to transfer and it's not too far from 2A to 2D. Should work either way. Take a look at a CDG map. There is an underground walkway in between the two halves of T2. Look for a down escalator between 2A and 2C (I think). Otherwise, if you're checked-through, you should be able to take an air-side shuttle to 2D. If you're going to 'arrive' at CDG then you get your bag and take the land-side shuttle which leaves every few minutes.

Ozglobal

[Edited 2005-02-28 22:27:54]

[Edited 2005-02-28 22:28:24]


When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.
User currently offlineHighpeaklad From United Kingdom, joined Aug 2004, 538 posts, RR: 0
Reply 6, posted (9 years 6 months 6 days 13 hours ago) and read 2420 times:

What if your flight is delayed? I would always check bags straight through given the option. I was on a recent trip to Beijing from MAN via LHR joining an escorted tour. The lady sat next to me said she had opted not to check her bags through as she didn't trust the system. Fine, but as the plane from MAN to LHR became more and more delayed I did worry! She finally disembarked at LHR terminal1 with less than 1 hour to transfer to a gate at the far end of terminal 3 (Knowing LHR you'll know thats a long walk). So she had to claim her bags, transfer,check in again ,though security and get to the gate signposted as a 20 minute walk from security. She made it with seconds to spare but looked very stressed indeed!
I have transferred through CDG without a hitch - even had bags transferred to the following days flight after I missed the connection - without mishap, so if it was down to me I would check bags straight through to CPH. After all if the bags are delayed AF will despatch them to the address you give them even if it is in Sweden - it sounds like they have had plenty of practice!

Fingers crossed,

Chris



Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !
User currently offlineAmhilde From United States of America, joined Oct 2003, 643 posts, RR: 5
Reply 7, posted (9 years 6 months 6 days 8 hours ago) and read 2400 times:

Ah you guys are brilliant, thanks so much for the recommendations! May as well check it all through; someday, somehow it always finds you in the end  Smile Ill write up a trip report on this one and let everyone know how it goes.... its funny how a new airport can make you feel like a newby all over again, but thats the fun of travelling now isnt it!

OzGlobal- Ive got that map printed out with the shuttle times (from the thread a few weeks ago) and it looks pretty easy to do if it were only myself + carry on. Ill live  Smile

Highpeaklad- Oh that poor woman. LHR gets your bags out and around surprisingly quick for an airport of that size and bustle, but ive sprinted terminals in LHR before and one is bad enough, never mind two with the connection between. Advice taken!



Hang on tightly, Let go lightly
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
CDG Transfer And Viewing Question posted Thu Dec 16 2004 23:03:27 by Soups
CDG Transfer 2B To 2C - Need Info posted Mon Apr 10 2006 04:27:06 by BEG2IAH
Shortest Domestic Transfer Luggage Hiccup? posted Sat Jan 14 2006 08:47:53 by Ukkiwibird
Paris CDG Transfer Help posted Fri Oct 28 2005 20:24:40 by B742
Paris CDG Transfer - Is It A Nightmare? posted Mon Jan 31 2005 16:37:34 by Concorde001
Luggage Rules Question posted Fri Jan 21 2005 20:56:37 by Ahlfors
Help @ CDG, Transfer To Trains posted Tue Nov 16 2004 23:52:02 by ASTROJET707
CDG Terminal 2E Question posted Wed Nov 1 2006 13:16:02 by AlitaliaMD11
MUC Transfer Question posted Sun Aug 27 2006 19:48:02 by ZRH
EasyJet Excess Weight Luggage Question posted Sun Jul 23 2006 15:29:06 by Milan320