Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Getting Flying License In US  
User currently offlineDRAIGONAIR From Netherlands, joined Oct 2000, 709 posts, RR: 5
Posted (11 years 5 days 6 hours ago) and read 3526 times:

Hey guys,

well I'm thinking I might go to the US to get my dual prop flying license (haven't planned anything yet etc etc just looking around getting info now and might be handy if you guys give me some experience of how its like).

Im 19 and going to the US to fly (probably Texas) to get my dual prop license and then go back to Netherlands and apply for a job by an airline.

Now what my question really is, is that how is it flying there? And usually (if you start from scratch) how many months does it take to get that flying license? How expensive is it generally? Any other info would be great.

Hope someone can give me some information



8 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineSkyexramper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (11 years 5 days 1 hour ago) and read 3492 times:

Like anywhere else in the world, flying can be completed as quick as you can learn and pay out the money. There are several "academy" companies that offer fast pace programs were you can get all your rating in as little as 90 days, this is because you'll be at the airport 8hrs a day for 5 days a week. Expenses vary by region and company, but if you're a quick learner look at spending atleast $40,000. The south or southwestern US is a good place to fly, can almost expect good weather year round (no snow to wait for).

Also since you're not a US citizen you'll have to fingerprinted and have a background check done (by TSA and FBI) prior to you ever flying. So its in your best interest to try to get an educational visa which might help get things done quicker in terms of security.

User currently offlineKevin82277 From United States of America, joined May 2000, 179 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (11 years 5 days 1 hour ago) and read 3493 times:

All you need to do is check the web, there are 100's of schools in the US that offer programs like you want. Just do a little search.

User currently offlineKellmark From United States of America, joined Dec 2000, 698 posts, RR: 7
Reply 3, posted (11 years 5 days ago) and read 3472 times:

The question is are you starting from scratch with no flying time, or do you already have some experience and/or licenses?

A multi-engine rating for someone who already has a private or commercial license usually runs 3-4 thousand dollars with about 10-12 hours flight time after ground school.

But if you are starting at flying, then you would have to add the cost of getting to the point where you move on to multi-engine. For this, then you should go to one of the official schools that provide the full training syllabus for all ratings. And there are hundreds of them.

User currently offlineSCCutler From United States of America, joined Jan 2000, 6065 posts, RR: 26
Reply 4, posted (11 years 5 days ago) and read 3473 times:

I got my license in three months and one day, and that was while working full-time at my pay-for-life job.

I'd suggest you not try to complete it in less than a month or so (the initial PPL), as there is a certain over-cramming aspect otherwise.

Would recommend that you visit with a number of schools; recommend you avoid schools which are pure "mills." ecommend you learn at a school with control tower and reasonably complex airspace, so you become immediately comfortable working within the ATC system.

If you choose the Dallas area, I recommend two at Addison (a fine training airport with a good mix of traffic). Both are Part 141 schools (too involved to describe, other than to state that they are more structured in curriculum).

Classic Aviation has a director of training who is former chief pilot for an airline, and he remains current and active in 737s and DC9s, a great resource. Call, ask for Jeff Slater.

Monarch Air is owned by airline people, larger operation, also very good.

I can vouch for both, have used both for instructional and rental. Both can help you with international issues as well as finance.

Good luck, and email me if you'd like more information on the area.

...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...
User currently onlineMir From United States of America, joined Jan 2004, 22870 posts, RR: 53
Reply 5, posted (11 years 5 days ago) and read 3467 times:

If you're planning on using the license back in the Netherlands, you might want to make sure that the license you get will be transferrable. Not all US licenses are useful outside the country.


7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
User currently offlineSCCutler From United States of America, joined Jan 2000, 6065 posts, RR: 26
Reply 6, posted (11 years 4 days 22 hours ago) and read 3452 times:

Oops, links did not work...




And a properly-done plan will net you a license which is FAA / JAA transferable,good pretty much aroundthe world. Done all the time. Both referenced schools are competent to counsel you on this.

[Edited 2005-05-29 20:24:41]

...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...
User currently offlineLegacy135 From Switzerland, joined May 2005, 1052 posts, RR: 24
Reply 7, posted (11 years 4 days 20 hours ago) and read 3441 times:

Hi Dragonair,

I was working a couple of years as flight instructor and your question was asked many times to me. As you say, you would like later on to fly in Holland, ergo you will need a JAA licence. There are different ways to get it and finally how you get it needs to be good for you. This you should find out, before you start to spend money. For this I strongly recommend you to talk to various schools. A good thing is also to talk to people who did it recently. I don't know if the Dutch Aero Club can help as well, but it's at least worth a try. You also have the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) in Holland. Ask them as well, they can be a big help.
Collect a couple of offers. Don't get fooled by schools offering you a cheap package. Once your credit is turned into aircraft noise they will push you trough an exam even if you are not at the level you desire.
If you do it in the US, I strongly recommend you to check out schools like Flight Safety or American Flyers. They may be able to offer you even a JAA compatible course. Another good thing for example with Flight Saftey is, they offer all kind of training. This means from the PPL trough IR, CPL and ATPL till any Type Rating you could desire. They also run a couple of JAA approved TRTO's, maybe even FTO's. You will need stuff like JAA MCC Training, CRM and so on. Flight Saftey offers this.
Many European Airlines do parts of their training in the States. In the States they can go on faster, because the weather in those locations is generally better and you will be annoyed by less regulations. You are basically able to fly 24 hours a day, something you can't overhere as the airports close at night. Also landing fees are normally free in the US and you will need something between 150 and 250 for your PPL only. If you multiply by 10 Euros it makes up quite a sum. But they come back and finish up the training here in Europe. The reason is under others, you will fly here and should get familiar with the procedures and structures here.
Make a good analysis, then it will work. I suggest you to contact the department, responsible for training in your local aeronautical authority. Ask them what you will need to bring along and to do, in order to obtain the JAA licence. This can avoid you an enormous amount of trouble. You could also contact one of the airlines you might like to work for and ask them what they recommend.
It's worth to do it in advance. I could tell you stories like the guy how did a complete JAA approved type rating for a 737. The only thing that was not JAA approved was the simulator they used for. The course was void and it resulted in a bad dream. So take your time and it will work. Good luck and my best wishes!

User currently offlineSkyexRamper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 8, posted (11 years 4 days 18 hours ago) and read 3414 times:

Quoting Kellmark (Reply 3):
A multi-engine rating for someone who already has a private or commercial license usually runs 3-4 thousand dollars with about 10-12 hours flight time after ground school.

You can get your PPL in a twin, it will be a Private Pilot Multi Engine Land with a restriction to muti engines only. You would have to go back and get a single engine add-on.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Any 727's Still Flying Passengers In US? posted Fri Sep 26 2003 06:05:36 by Wilax
Who Can Recommend Flying School For FAA PPL In US? posted Tue Jan 17 2006 01:14:10 by LeonB1985
Pilot License In The US - How And How Much? posted Tue Oct 11 2005 22:36:32 by Jorge1812
Site Of South Africans Flying To The US In Cessnas posted Thu Jan 6 2005 04:17:35 by Donder10
US Pilot Flying/working In Europe posted Tue Sep 7 2004 19:44:28 by Vw
Flying Domestic In The US Is Not Cheap! posted Sat May 5 2001 19:13:50 by Capt.Picard
Getting A Ride On A Non-US Airline In The US posted Sat Sep 2 2000 02:45:53 by Delta777-XXX
What Is Iceland Express Doing In US/Caribbean? posted Sat Dec 2 2006 15:42:46 by RobK
Rules On Investment In US Based Airlines posted Wed Nov 22 2006 20:47:55 by Qwame
Least Ontime Flight In US? Comair 5283 JFK-DCA! posted Sat Nov 18 2006 19:18:03 by 777fan