- Proposed runway 9R/27L extension
- Whether or not to preserve the option of a North Parallel Runway
- Decommissioning of the Crosswind Runway (13/31)
- Implications of reconsidering the role of G.A. at FLL in the future
- assessment of existing west side land use master plan
- International Terminal (T-4) expansion
- Concourse A
- Exit Roadway Improvements
In the presentation, two of these really stand out as intriguing:
- The west side land use plan: Basically a complete overhaul of everything west of 13/31 (including new facilities to be placed over part of 13/31 as it sits today), with new G.A. and cargo facilities. See page 10 in the presentation for an image.
- The expansion of the International Terminal (T-4) to occupy land over the vacated car rental facilities just east of the present Terminal 4, and the possible expansion of T-3 westward to occupy former 13/31 space. See pages 16 & 18 for images.
Things may get very interesting here in the future...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."
FLAIRPORT From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 4, posted (10 years 7 months 2 weeks 3 hours ago) and read 5008 times:
all I have to say is "HOLY MOTHER" that long term plan is...wow...I can't put it into words. The near term making T3 a hub (possibly for NK?) and in the long term connecting the international terminal to T3 and T2...wow...all I ave to say is that is a great idea and even though I like 13/31 I think its worth it to remove it.
KFLLCFII From United States of America, joined Sep 2004, 3433 posts, RR: 24
Reply 5, posted (10 years 7 months 1 week 6 days 23 hours ago) and read 4967 times:
Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 4): all I have to say is that is a great idea and even though I like 13/31 I think its worth it to remove it.
I'd have to agree. With as little as 13/31 is used anyway, I really wouldn't miss it if this is what is to be expected (granted 9R/27L is expanded as planned).
The idea of a possible northern parallel runway? Well, let's just say that if one day the traffic becomes so heavy that even two major air carrier runways no longer suffices, THEN maybe they should think about relocating FedEx, DHL, etc to the west side...
Which brings me to another point, the western expansion. Is it just me, or does that look like a mini-MIA Cargo City? I'm all for it, as long as they relocate the viewing area to another *decent* location
Lastly, if they fully intend to implement the new international terminal design, then why haven't they raised the issue in either the short-term or long-term plan of extending 9L/27R from 9,000 to accomodate the fully-loaded pond-crossing jumbos? As attractive as FLL is for the cruise passengers (not to mention the possible people-mover system to the port), wouldn't this be in their best interest if they are trying to attract foreign carriers to fill up the gates at this new international megaplex? The expansion room is definitely available:
DL021 From United States of America, joined May 2004, 11454 posts, RR: 72
Reply 6, posted (10 years 7 months 1 week 6 days 21 hours ago) and read 4939 times:
This is interesting. I got a good look at the Jet Center again today when we took off from 9R in a Cheyenne 2. That side of the airport would need more parking and access before they increased its capacity.
It certainly looks like they could stand the improvements, but I hope they have a plan.
BTW....anyone have any idea why jetfuel is $5.89 a gallon there? It's a good bit higher there than say Macon or PDK. Is it simply because they are a port of entry and can squeeze it out of planes who have to land there?