Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Just A Couple Of Questions.  
User currently offlineDjmatthews From United Kingdom, joined Dec 1999, 213 posts, RR: 0
Posted (15 years 10 months 4 weeks 10 hours ago) and read 2368 times:

I have a couple of questions to ask that have been bugging me for a while.

Where does the term "rotate" come from?
What does a FLARE mean?

Thanks for any help.


4 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineUSAirways737 From United States of America, joined Jan 2000, 1026 posts, RR: 1
Reply 1, posted (15 years 10 months 4 weeks 10 hours ago) and read 2320 times:

rotate is when you pull up on the control column right before you take off

flaring is when you pull up on the control column and the nose rises which slows the plane down right before touchdown.

User currently offlineN863DA From United States of America, joined Sep 2004, 48 posts, RR: 5
Reply 2, posted (15 years 10 months 4 weeks 9 hours ago) and read 2304 times:

The flare is the part of the landing where the nose is lifted up slightly instead of being level (descending) in order to:
a) arrest the descent
b) make sure the main wheels come into contact with the tarmac first and not the nose-wheels
c) make sure the airplane wing 'stalls' at exactly the right time so that the aircraft makes contact with the pavement.

As for where Rotate comes from (yes we all know what it is) maybe it comes from the aircraft rotating around its main undercarriage, instead of using, say, Pull Up, which, while the action is the same (pulling the yoke back) incurs that you are already flying and need to get higher.

Not saying the Rotate reason is right, but it's an idea!


N 8 6 3 D A

User currently offlineTrvlr From United States of America, joined Feb 2000, 4430 posts, RR: 19
Reply 3, posted (15 years 10 months 4 weeks 1 hour ago) and read 2282 times:

Ok, then what is it called when the wings of an aircraft lift up rather abnormally, often during landing and just after takeoff? I honestly thought that was 'flaring'! Thanx for the info.

Aaron G.

User currently offlineGerardo From Spain, joined May 2000, 3481 posts, RR: 27
Reply 4, posted (15 years 10 months 3 weeks 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 2260 times:

Rotate comes from the latin word "rotare", which could be translated more or less as "to turn". During the rotation the aircraft turns around a virtual axis. That's probably why it is called that way.


dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Just A Couple Of Nwa Questions posted Sun Nov 14 1999 04:50:37 by Dc-9-10
Just Couple Of Enquiries posted Mon Aug 14 2006 15:31:30 by Jumbo747
Couple Of Questions About AMS posted Tue Jan 31 2006 12:44:50 by IADBGO
A Couple Of Questions About Eastern Air Lines posted Wed Jan 21 2004 00:43:49 by ElectraBob
Couple Of Questions: Who Ops PH-ITA And EC-IOR posted Sun Oct 19 2003 12:21:38 by Pe@rson
A Couple Of Questions On Spirit Airlines posted Sat Sep 20 2003 23:54:59 by Northwesta319
A Couple Of Questions About STN posted Thu Jul 31 2003 18:29:47 by Pe@rson
A Couple Of Questions About Klax posted Mon Jul 7 2003 21:35:50 by Captain.md-11
A Couple Of Questions About National. posted Sat Nov 10 2001 07:11:32 by FedExHeavy
A Couple Of Questions posted Mon Jul 23 2001 00:04:08 by KLMBlue