Saturday Dec 10 19:12 AEDT
A passenger could face charges after a Jetstar plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Brisbane due to a leak from a gas cylinder.
The flight carrying 163 passengers made the landing about 6pm (AEST) after butane gas leaked from a small cylinder taken on board by a male passenger.
The pilot of the flight bound for Cairns returned the plane to Brisbane Airport shortly after take-off when fumes were reported in the cabin.
Child killed in US runway tragedy
Two crew members and six passengers, including two children, were taken to Royal Brisbane Hospital and Royal Brisbane Childrens Hospital with minor respiratory irritation but were later released.
Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said police were investigating the matter and the man could be charged for breaching airline security.
"After commencing flight, some of our customers and a couple of cabin crew were feeling nauseous so our captain returned the aircraft to Brisbane and asked for an emergency landing," he said.
"We determined this morning that one of our passengers checked in a gas cylinder."
"The 30cm cylinder contained butane gas, which at high altitude is dangerous as proven."
Due to airline policy, Mr Westaway would not specify the passenger's name, age or occupation.
"It has cost Jetstar tens of thousands of dollars with the plane's time in the air and passenger accommodation expenses contributing to that added cost," he said.
Most passengers were put on alternate Jetstar and Qantas flights to Cairns, while the remainder completed their journeys.
It is the second emergency landing in Brisbane in the past eight days.
A Virgin Blue flight last Friday night from Townsville in north Queensland was forced to make an emergency landing in Brisbane after its windscreen cracked.
Jupiter2 From Australia, joined Jan 2001, 927 posts, RR: 1
Reply 5, posted (9 years 1 month 3 weeks 10 hours ago) and read 2104 times:
From the sounds of things this cylinder may have been in the guys checked baggage. "If" that was the case and I am not saying it definitely was then unless the checked baggage was x-rayed (as at most Australian airports it now should be) then it is purely the passengers fault.
Dangerous items lists are clearly marked at the terminal and details are on tickets or the e-mail confirmation for e-tickets. This should put the onus clearly on the passenger involved. If x-raying did take place and it was not picked, there will be some serious questions asked and some retraining in order.