Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
AC Strike!  
User currently offlineN202PA From United States of America, joined Jun 2000, 1562 posts, RR: 3
Posted (14 years 1 month 4 weeks 8 hours ago) and read 2368 times:

Question for those of you in Canada--what's the latest deal on the pilot strike situation? I'm very concerned because I'm flying to Toronto on Friday via AC. Actually, I'll be going up to YYZ from BWI on Air Ontario, so that won't be affected because the regional pilots are part of a different union, and because at last check, the earliest the regular AC pilots were going to strike is Saturday.

However, I'll be coming back on Monday night to DCA on Air Canada, and I'm concerned that my flight will be cancelled. To complicate matters, I have to be at Dulles Airport on Tuesday morning for a flight to Hawaii which I cannot change because everything else on DL to Hawaii is booked solid for the next two weeks.

What's the latest, and if AC is shut down over the weekend, will they provide other flight arrangements for me? Also, will Ottawa stop the strike from occurring based on national interests?

Thanks in advance.  

14 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineSlawko From Canada, joined May 1999, 3799 posts, RR: 9
Reply 1, posted (14 years 1 month 4 weeks 2 hours ago) and read 2263 times:

If they strike you may be able to get on a CP flight to hawaii or Qantas.... Or you may be able to get yourself on United or one of the other yankee airlines to take you to DCA via some other hub....

Right now what you know is what the rest of us know. The earliest is Saturday for a strike, and it may be a full blown strike or it may be rotating....They will announce it after talks end tomorrow night...



"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada
User currently offlineAC183 From Canada, joined Jul 1999, 1532 posts, RR: 2
Reply 2, posted (14 years 1 month 4 weeks 1 hour ago) and read 2246 times:

ACPA has to give at least 72 hours notice for their strike, which hasn't happened yet, and won't happen until after tomorrow's negotiating session. That would make Saturday the earliest possible strike date, and that's not guaranteed.

Ottawa is keeping out of this, at least for the moment. Everyone is treading a very very very very fine line (emphasis). The company and the union don't want it to happen, and will negotiate, but appear like they'll play these games in the meantime, actually it's like playing chicken, and who knows which side will flinch first, or if either side will. That's a risk. The government may not want to get involved, who knows, but I'm not sure they could stay out. I think the most likely scenarios are that either ACPA would not fully strike, but go on a work to rule campaign, or stage a rotating strike. This would keep them with the hammer to negotiate with, but also keep the government out, but would still cause quite a bit of chaos. Of course we could see a negotiated settlement, too. That is, in my view, reasonably probable. I don't even want to think about the pilots walking, any way that would happen it would be bad for all involved.

Don't know about alternate flight arrangements, but I would consider looking over your options. I don't know what your ticket costed or what refund conditions are, but I'd be careful to make a just-in-case preparation. Maybe you could change it to a CP-operated flight with a connection? (can use AC codeshare on CP operated flights if you want Aeroplan miles, or UA connections, or whatever). Maybe look at UA, DL, or possibly a bus to Buffalo to get a flight? Anyways, good luck and here's hoping for ya...


User currently offlineN202PA From United States of America, joined Jun 2000, 1562 posts, RR: 3
Reply 3, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 8 hours ago) and read 2229 times:

Guys:

Thanks for the information; I'm still really afraid that I'm going to get stranded at YYZ and miss my flight to Hawaii.

Questions:

(*) Slawko mentioned that if they strike, I might be able to get on CP or Quantas to HI--if I have my Delta ticket with me, would they honor it within the AC family, considering that they're the ones at fault for me missing my flight?

(*)AC183 mentioned several options; will AC arrange ticketing at no expense to me should the strike go on? I know that usually, airlines will do this, but (at least in the U.S.), if there's a strike, the airlines don't have to do jack squat for you, except give you a refund of the unused ticket. I can't afford to buy a new, last-minute ticket, so this is why I ask this question.

Does anyone here have information that might answer these questions? Thanks again in advance.  


User currently offlineAC183 From Canada, joined Jul 1999, 1532 posts, RR: 2
Reply 4, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 7 hours ago) and read 2217 times:

N202PA, I really don't know what AC can and can't do for you. I suggest you talk to them. I'm not sure they'll really know unless a strike is actually called, as it's rather hypothetical at this point. I would consider asking if you could fly YYZ-HNL on CP (or AC codeshare) using the DL ticket, it might be a good way to go. I would actually consider making that change even if the strike doesn't happen, for peace of mind. Be careful to ask, however, whether the launching of YYZ-HNL-SYD route would be affected by the strike (it starts July 1, I believe).

I would suggest that if the answer to that is no, then try seeing if you can switch your DCA flight either to a CP operated segment and connection through New York or Chicago, or else maybe see if NW would accept your ticket via DTW. I would say at least check out these alternatives now, because in the event of a strike seats will disappear like crazy. I am, however, always very much on the side of being overcautious. I wouldn't be overly scared of this all, but I just figure a little research instead of leaving your fate in other's hands would probably be a good idea as a preventative measure.

I still think the most likely thing to happen is a work-to-rule campaign, but that also may make it risky to get your connection.

As soon as ACPA comes out of their negotiating session, I'll post an update for ya, hopefully it's good news.


User currently offlineLouis From Canada, joined Oct 2005, 0 posts, RR: 0
Reply 5, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 6 hours ago) and read 2215 times:

I'm in the same boat too. I'm booked on a (actually two, just in case) flight to Korea from Vancouver with Air Canada and from LA with Korean Air, but to get to LA I have to go by Air Canada. Either way, if they strike, I'm screwed over. YEG has really poor connections and I don't have many, if any alternatives, since most flights to Korea are booked from all major airports.

My mom's friend is a flight attendant for CP and has some knowledge about the pilots situation. I'll try and get some information from her. But it doesn't look too good from the tone of her voice.


User currently offlineCPAir 4 life From Canada, joined Nov 1999, 209 posts, RR: 0
Reply 6, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 6 hours ago) and read 2219 times:

AC183 mentioned that he didn't know if the launch of the SYD route would be affected.
I can tell you that it will not be.
Those flights are operated by CP, so nothing will change.
It's a YVR crew for the YVR-HNL and HNL-SYD leg
and of course the return.
YYZ-HNL is a CP crew, but they go back to YYZ after a layover in HNL.


User currently offlineSamurai 777 From Canada, joined Jan 2000, 2458 posts, RR: 4
Reply 7, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 5 hours ago) and read 2218 times:

My mother is ending up in the same kind of situation, only that it may affect the return flight. She will be flying to LHR from YEG(yes, it does have poor connections, like Louis said) via YYC on June 30-July 1, so maybe she won't get stranded on the way to LHR. But if the strike drags on past July 18th, then she does have a problem. AC is the only airline flying from LHR to YYC, I think.

She could, however, get put on a BA flight to YYZ and take a WestJet or a Canadian (some CP a/c may still be flying around, as AC hasn't fully merged yet with CP.)flight back to YEG. She's flying on points, so I'm afraid she might be up the creek. But then again, she could arrange to fly back at a later date without having to pay extra.

I did this once, as I flew on points from YEG to YQM (Moncton) and back. I arranged to fly back a day later without any problem and I didn't have to pay for anything. Sounds a bit strange, but the tour of Prince Edward Island was set back a day later - right on the original day of departure. I already paid for the tour and that was nonrefundable! But I'm not sure about international flights though.

However, you might be able to try to get on a United flight. (it's a Star Alliance member like AC.) Or on an Air Ontario flight back to DCA in time before you catch your DL flight to Hawai'i.

I honestly don't know that well about the ACPA situation, so I don't really know whether the strike will be averted or not.


User currently offlineN202PA From United States of America, joined Jun 2000, 1562 posts, RR: 3
Reply 8, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 2203 times:

Guys and Gals:

Thanks much for all of your help and information on the issue, especially AC183, Samurai 777, and CP Air 4 Life.  

I'm going to call Air Canada tonight and see what they say. Right now, I'm leaning toward trying to get on an Air Ontario flight to BWI (they don't fly to DCA), and getting AC to pay for ground transportation to Dulles, which is about $50-60. I really would prefer to go on Delta, as I am currently scheduled to fly on L-1011s from LAX to HNL and HNL to SFO, because it'd be my first (and probably last ever) flights on L-10's. It's not too often that you can say that you were on some of the last L-1011 flights in North America.

I'm currently looking into United, but they only have flights from Buffalo (Toronto flights are AC codeshares), which are on piece of garbage J-41s (it's an okay aircraft, but it's still a dinky turboprop). If they step in to serve AC's transborder routes, though, they might have jet service, which I'll have to look into. Does anyone know if AC/CP codeshares will still be operated? My flight to DCA is on one such codeshare.

We'll see what AC says. Thanks again for the help!


User currently offlineSebJetYYZ From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 9, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 2205 times:

Slawko!!

Comeon you dump ass!!?!!?! What the hell are you thinking! Tommarow is the day they strike!!! YYZ will be a fun place to work if they do huh?

Stupid Ukrainian!!

Get A Real JOB!


User currently offlineAC183 From Canada, joined Jul 1999, 1532 posts, RR: 2
Reply 10, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 2204 times:

YYZ-HNL-SYD could be affected because, even though it is CP metal, they could potentially delay launching the route to add capacity domestically to cope with a strike. I don't know if they would, but it is theoretically possible, and a couple of 763's would go a long way to add a bit of domestic capacity considering how many flying hours they could do on shorter hauls.

On the strike front, good news today folks, negotiations were seeing some progress and ACPA has announced that it will not serve 72 hour notice today. More talks scheduled for tomorrow, so we'll wait and see.


User currently offlineN202PA From United States of America, joined Jun 2000, 1562 posts, RR: 3
Reply 11, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 13 hours ago) and read 2193 times:

Phew.

Now if only we can make it to 9:30 Friday night with progress, I'm in the clear.  

Fingers in the upright and crossed position.


User currently offlineAC183 From Canada, joined Jul 1999, 1532 posts, RR: 2
Reply 12, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 2 hours ago) and read 2182 times:

You should be in the clear now, ACPA has said it will continue to negotiate all weekend (even though it is a long weekend) and doesn't intend to give notice any time before talks end Sunday, so that would make Wednesday the earliest possible strike, and the continuing negotiations are good indications that it can be averted.

http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/NWview.cgi?/news/2000/06/29/aircan000629


User currently offlineSamurai 777 From Canada, joined Jan 2000, 2458 posts, RR: 4
Reply 13, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 5 days 1 hour ago) and read 2182 times:

As AC183 said, there's nothing to worry about now! The strike's been postponed, because the negotiations are progressing so far. Hopefully they won't go on strike until Wednesday.

Now go and have a nice trip!  

Samurai 777


User currently offlineN202PA From United States of America, joined Jun 2000, 1562 posts, RR: 3
Reply 14, posted (14 years 1 month 3 weeks 4 days 22 hours ago) and read 2174 times:

Thanks, guys!! =) Full trip report will follow in about two weeks, when I get back from Hawaii!

Phew!  


Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
AC Strike! posted Tue Jun 27 2000 20:45:55 by N202PA
AC Bird Strike posted Wed Dec 6 2006 02:47:50 by Connies4ever
AC A330 Tail Strike In Frankfurt posted Sat Aug 30 2003 03:43:15 by CanadaEH
AC Bird Strike Today posted Fri Mar 15 2002 16:58:14 by JAT
AC Pilots Vote To Strike! posted Mon Jun 26 2000 20:05:57 by Slawko
AF Strike Tomorrow posted Mon Jun 16 2008 09:38:40 by BHXDTW
AC//Predictions? posted Fri Jun 6 2008 12:14:49 by FLYACYYZ
Why Doesn't AC Fly To Moscow? posted Mon Jun 2 2008 11:36:46 by Addd
Sun Air Of Scandanavia Pilot Strike posted Sun Jun 1 2008 02:02:15 by BALHRWWCC
First Class Lounges In LIM For AC? posted Fri May 30 2008 21:04:44 by Bakersdozen
AC Bird Strike posted Wed Dec 6 2006 02:47:50 by Connies4ever
AC A330 Tail Strike In Frankfurt posted Sat Aug 30 2003 03:43:15 by CanadaEH
AC Bird Strike Today posted Fri Mar 15 2002 16:58:14 by JAT
AC Pilots Vote To Strike! posted Mon Jun 26 2000 20:05:57 by Slawko
AC 787 Routes posted Sat Jan 14 2012 19:57:02 by idjim319
AC A320 In SJC Right Now posted Fri Jan 6 2012 09:30:06 by olddominion727
Information On Airtran AC #553 After WN Conversion? posted Thu Jan 5 2012 20:10:34 by GizmoNC