There is a lot of O&D traffic from CMH & Southern California. HP & WN flights, eventhough they are connecting, carry a lot of SoCal traffic. Delta named CMH a focus city after HP pulled out. It has been very positive for them. Good load factor's on many of there non-stop flight, operated by the RJ's.
RwSEA From Netherlands, joined Jan 2005, 3062 posts, RR: 2
Reply 2, posted (8 years 2 months 2 weeks 5 days 13 hours ago) and read 1987 times:
There are a several reasons for this flight:
1) DL's strong operations at CMH.
2) No existing non-stop service from CMH to LAX, despite healthy O&D numbers.
3) The flight is a red-eye, which increases utilization of a plane that would otherwise idle.
4) The flight can cater to O&D.
5) The flight can connect to AS flights to Mexico.
6) The flight can connect to DL flights to Hawaii and Mexico.
7) The flight could eventually become a niche market for DL. People like nonstop service and if people are willing to support it, maybe a daytime flight could be close behind.
I'm hoping it will be successful. It's nice to see someone adding some non-hub flights for a change.