Cedarjet From United Kingdom, joined May 1999, 8360 posts, RR: 54
Reply 4, posted (14 years 10 months 2 weeks 3 days 13 hours ago) and read 1597 times:
I don't think these explanations are quite right. Some cities have an ICAO (organisation that dispenses airport and airline codes, amongst other things) "city code" as well as an airport code. London is LON, New York is NYC, Tokyo is TYO, Paris is PAR. This is usually the case where there is more than one airport. I think the new airport at Denver is DIA - I think I've seen it on luggage labels. DEN is probably the generic code for the city. There are cities with just one active airport that have seperate airport and city codes - Osake is OSA, but the airport is KIX.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
Ual1636 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 6, posted (14 years 10 months 2 weeks 3 days 9 hours ago) and read 1563 times:
The official ICAO code for Dnever Int'l is KDEN. The official IATA code is DEN. DIA is the abbreviation for the airport, Denver Int'l Airport. It's like IAH. The airport is named Houston George Bush intercontinental, but people just say Houston International. DIA is never on luggage tags, it's always "DEN" 99% of the locals say DIA, and the other 1% say Denver Int'l. DIA was derived when they were constructing it so people wouldn't get confused with Stapleton.