Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Terminal Changes At LHR When Terminal 5 Opens  
User currently offlineBroocy From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 2 days ago) and read 3488 times:

I saw on BA's website that flights to Australia and Spain will operate from Terminal 3 when Terminal 5 opens in March 2008. This is being done to ensure cohesion between codeshare partners QF and IB.

Does anyone know where one can find out which airlines are switching to which terminal when Terminal 5 opens?

8 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineTristarSteve From Sweden, joined Nov 2005, 3976 posts, RR: 34
Reply 1, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 17 hours ago) and read 3340 times:

Ba are operating out of T5 and T3 until the T5 second satellite is opened..
Skyteam are going to T4,
Star Alliance to T1


User currently offlineConcorde001 From United Kingdom, joined Jan 2005, 1230 posts, RR: 3
Reply 2, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 15 hours ago) and read 3255 times:

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 1):
Ba are operating out of T5 and T3 until the T5 second satellite is opened..
Skyteam are going to T4,
Star Alliance to T1

Correct - The following terminal arrangements have been discussed (though subject to change).

T1 = Star Alliance
T2 = demolished. The area currently being used for T2 along with T1 will be used to implement BAA's Heathrow 'Master Plan' which is basically the construction of a brand new terminal.*
T3 = Virgin Atlantic, non-aligned carriers and oneworld carriers.**
T4 = Skyteam and non aligned carriers

* Subject to CAA approval. Details of the plan can be found here:
BAA Heathrow Master Plan


** When T5 opens in 2008, only the main terminal building and one of the two satellites will be operational. The third satellite will open in 2011. Consequently in 2008, 90% of BA's operations will be in T5 with the remaining 10% in Terminal 3. I know T3 can be quite dreary to say the least, it is scheduled for a major facelift. For example Virgin's area of the terminal is being completely renovated and refurbished by the designers of Hong Kong airport. BA and oneworld decided on T3 because it is closer to T5 making connections easier. It looks like BA's Spanish and Australian flights will operate from T3 with the IB/QF which is quite strange as it was reported in 'Business Traveller' that QF and BA had signed an agreement which would allow QF into T5 - maybe thats in 2011?


User currently offlineBroocy From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 3, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 12 hours ago) and read 3148 times:

Thanks for your help all.

The only reason I can think that QF is moving into T3 would be for the extra A380 gates. With the Star move to T1, will T1 be getting A380 gates too as SQ will be an early user of the A380 at LHR?


User currently offlineBMIFlyer From UK - England, joined Feb 2004, 8810 posts, RR: 58
Reply 4, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 12 hours ago) and read 3146 times:

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 2):
T1 = Star Alliance

How the hell?

T1 is no way near big enough....


Lee



Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
User currently offlineKaitak744 From United States of America, joined exactly 9 years ago today! , 2360 posts, RR: 3
Reply 5, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 6 hours ago) and read 3006 times:

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 2):
** When T5 opens in 2008, only the main terminal building and one of the two satellites will be operational. The third satellite will open in 2011. Consequently in 2008, 90% of BA's operations will be in T5 with the remaining 10% in Terminal 3. I know T3 can be quite dreary to say the least, it is scheduled for a major facelift. For example Virgin's area of the terminal is being completely renovated and refurbished by the designers of Hong Kong airport. BA and oneworld decided on T3 because it is closer to T5 making connections easier. It looks like BA's Spanish and Australian flights will operate from T3 with the IB/QF which is quite strange as it was reported in 'Business Traveller' that QF and BA had signed an agreement which would allow QF into T5 - maybe thats in 2011?

Um, not really. There is the main T5 building and 2 satellites. The Second satellite is set to open 2 years after the actual terminal opens.

Also, ALL CONSTRUCTION what so ever, is scheduled to be finished before 2012.

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 4):
Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 2):
T1 = Star Alliance

How the hell?

T1 is no way near big enough....

Well, there is no way BMI can fit anywhere else. And plus, T1 will eventually have added area from T2, so it will be big enough.


User currently onlineScottB From United States of America, joined Jul 2000, 6705 posts, RR: 32
Reply 6, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 5 hours ago) and read 2976 times:

I was wondering the other day if it wouldn't make sense to build parallel runways on the north and south sides at LHR in a layout similar to ATL, LAX, and DFW -- especially given that the new Terminal 5's layout is not dissimilar to ATL's layout. It certainly seems that this would be less disruptive than the plans to build the third runway far north of the current terminal complex, and it would allow for significantly more capacity.

Terminal 4 would have to be demolished as part of that sort of redesign, along with relocating roads and parking areas (and perhaps additional structures to the north), but it seems like the most effective way to allow for growth.


User currently offlineCloudyapple From Hong Kong, joined Jul 2005, 2454 posts, RR: 10
Reply 7, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 1 day 4 hours ago) and read 2945 times:

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 5):
Um, not really. There is the main T5 building and 2 satellites. The Second satellite is set to open 2 years after the actual terminal opens.

Which was exactly what Concode has said above...

Quoting ScottB (Reply 6):
was wondering the other day if it wouldn't make sense to build parallel runways on the north and south sides at LHR

No we can't do very close parallel runways because we don't do close staggered visual approaches here. The small airspace doesn't allow you to sequence arrivals that close. PRM will be required which the UK dont have any experience (and is expensive to implement).

If the approach wasn't a problem, I supoose without demolishing T4 this can only happen on the north. You will need the runways to be approx the same length and slightly staggered (to achieve the required vertical separation and minimise transverse separation on final) which is not possible because of the infrastructure around (M25). RETs will be required for the "inner" (existing) runway which will be difficult to manage because of the heavy usage of taxiway alpha. Missed approaches are also a problem. I can think of many more reasons but i suppose that's enough to make that idea a non starter. I wish we had the airspace and land they have in atlanta to allow all this to happen...

Quoting ScottB (Reply 6):
Terminal 4 would have to be demolished as part of that sort of redesign, along with relocating roads and parking areas (and perhaps additional structures to the north), but it seems like the most effective way to allow for growth.

That's unlikely to happen. I agree it can do with some sort of updating but before T5 opens it is still the newest terminal so the least priority.



A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90
User currently offlineUAL777UK From United Kingdom, joined Nov 2005, 3356 posts, RR: 1
Reply 8, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 16 hours ago) and read 2794 times:

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 5):
Well, there is no way BMI can fit anywhere else. And plus, T1 will eventually have added area from T2, so it will be big enough.

T2 is going to be demolished and rebuilt in time for the 2012 Olympics and thats earmarked to be the Star Alliance terminal.


Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
New Airline Structure At LHR When T5 Opens posted Tue Jun 7 2005 00:52:20 by FlyAUA
BA Terminal Changes At LHR - Insane? posted Sun Mar 28 2004 16:22:36 by Ikarus
More BA Terminal Changes At LHR posted Wed Feb 18 2004 00:14:49 by David_itl
Changes At EWR Terminal C posted Sat Jul 17 2004 04:58:05 by Ezra
Major British Airways Equipment Changes At Lhr! posted Tue Mar 14 2000 04:24:00 by Jet Setter
BAA To Rebuild Terminal 2 At LHR posted Fri Nov 11 2005 00:51:40 by Willyj
Star Alliance Terminal At LHR? posted Sat Mar 26 2005 11:04:15 by Doona
Icelandair Moves To Terminal 2 At LHR posted Wed Nov 17 2004 18:21:36 by Asgeirs
Terminal Changes At OMA (inc. DAL) posted Wed Jun 16 2004 17:31:45 by InnocuousFox
Changes At SYD International Terminal posted Fri Mar 14 2003 22:13:49 by 767er