PlaneHunter From Germany, joined Mar 2006, 7100 posts, RR: 75 Posted (9 years 11 months 3 weeks 3 days 11 hours ago) and read 3788 times:
Via a link on another website I have come across a website of the youth organisation of the Protestant deanery at Freising, located close to Munich Airport.
The organisation is part of the resistance against a third runway at Munich airport and as a contribution they even created a specific prayer. Very tasteless in my opinion, and not surprisingly - far from reality.
"Dear Lord, we call upon you because a third runway is planned to be built.
- We are afraid that nature gets destroyed even more and more kerosene will be blown into the atmosphere.
- We don't understand that the airport wants to expand though still being in debt.
- We are afraid that more living space gets cut and that young people face difficulties in receiving training and finding a job, which help to secure our survival.
- We are speechless because of the wrongfulness that economic growth is rated more valuable than human beings."
Then followed by Psalm 140:
"Deliver me, O Lord, from the evil man: and preserve me from the wicked man.
Who imagine mischief in their hearts: and stir up strife all the day long.
They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent: adders' poison is under their lips.
Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the ungodly: preserve me from the wicked men, who are purposed to overthrow my goings.
The proud have laid a snare for me, and spread a net abroad with cords: yea, and set traps in my way.
I said unto the Lord, Thou art my God: hear the voice of my prayers, O Lord."
I can understand a new runway faces opposition, but comparing it to "evil man" and whatever is totally ridiculous and could be considered even offensive.
Additionally, these people ignore important facts:
- Without a new runway, holding patterns will increase, causing delays also on the ground, resulting in more kerosene wasted for nothing.
- With new generations of engines and aircraft, traffic will increase without a similar increase of pollution and noise.
- A new runway will increase revenue and debts will decrease faster.
- A new runway will require space, but it won't destroy the "living space" of a whole region.
- Munich airport is a job machine, having created thousands of new jobs over a few years, and a new runway will even increase job opportunities around MUC. The region's unemployment rate is one of the lowest within Germany.
- Economic growth secures jobs and jobs secure people's existance.
My impression is that certain people are simply unwilling to check facts...and others blindly believe what they are told. Of course, alternatives aren't offered either...