Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
"Permanent Resident" For CX Cadet  
User currently offlineSwiftski From Australia, joined Dec 2006, 2701 posts, RR: 2
Posted (8 years 11 months 2 weeks 6 days 21 hours ago) and read 2683 times:

From CX Website:


To qualify for our Cadet Pilot Programme, you must be at least 18 years old and a Hong Kong permanent resident. You must be at least 1.6m tall, be physically fit, and possess an excellent command of English. The minimum educational standards we require are: ........

This got me wondering; as I'm interested. I am not a Hong Kong citizen, however I have the right to live and work. Would this make me a "permanent resident"? My thoughts are that if being a Hong Kong Citizen/National was required, then this would be made more clear.

Additionally there is no clear requirement for Mandarin/Cantonese, only English.

Any thoughts, esp. from Cathay employees would be greatly apreciated. I have flow CX (KA) twice this week PVG-HKG-PVG and had an Aussie and then Kiwi pilot, so they clearly HIRE foreigners; it's whether they accept them into the program that interests me.

I will contact them in due course however at this time I am still preparing an application.


2 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineHZ747300 From Hong Kong, joined Mar 2004, 2137 posts, RR: 0
Reply 1, posted (8 years 11 months 2 weeks 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 2583 times:
Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

After living in HK for seven years you automatically qualify for permanent residence status in HK. It's quite easy to do. However, living in Discovery Bay, I am going to say that pilots are actively recruited from Australia without regard to status because just about every other person out here is a Cathay pilot, and Australian. There are a few British and Canadian pilots too, and ironically, there has never be Chinese captain on any of my Cathay / Dragonair flights.

Keep on truckin'...
User currently offlineAlphonze From Hong Kong, joined Feb 2005, 51 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (8 years 11 months 2 weeks 6 days 16 hours ago) and read 2536 times:

If you've got a Hong Kong residents card and it's not dependent on a visa that will expire at some point in the future then you're a permanent resident, simple as that. You don't need to be a naturalised citizen.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Businessman: CX Crews Not Doing "good For HK" posted Thu Jun 28 2001 08:58:51 by Singapore_Air
Silverjet "Freequent" Flyer Program For Americans posted Tue Apr 24 2007 16:11:16 by AabFlyer
Next "new" Customer For B787 posted Tue Apr 3 2007 19:45:43 by Mptpa
UA "Deal": Upgrade Y From ORD-DCA For $1300! posted Wed Feb 21 2007 16:05:01 by GoAllegheny
Open Skies: EU Still Not Taking "no" For An Answer posted Mon Jan 29 2007 19:29:40 by Kaitak
"Airbus Wiring Fixed For First A380 Only" posted Fri Jan 26 2007 17:04:24 by Pygmalion
US Move "kills" Open Skies ... For Now! posted Tue Dec 5 2006 20:37:39 by Kaitak
B6 "hungry" For DCA And Extra LGA Slots posted Tue Dec 5 2006 18:32:52 by FA4B6
UK - New "super" Wake Vortex Sep For A380 posted Mon Nov 6 2006 16:23:41 by Mptpa
"New" Aircraft (a BT-67) For German Polar Institut posted Wed Nov 1 2006 17:04:30 by Columba