Juventus From United States of America, joined Dec 2004, 2835 posts, RR: 2
Reply 4, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 9 hours ago) and read 34824 times:
Quoting TG992 (Reply 3): Agreed that the grass is always greener, but I've never seen such a consistently negative message as I have from both former and current employees of Qatar on pprune.
I'm with TG992. I've read very unpleasent things about this airline and with such consistency. Don't go to pprune, it will scare you. Best thing to do is to find a an employee or former employee and have a conversation with them.
QatarA340 is right, people will be people. Always complaining about this, that and the other.....
IcLCY From United Kingdom, joined Jun 2006, 256 posts, RR: 0
Reply 6, posted (8 years 4 months 2 weeks 7 hours ago) and read 34723 times:
From what I've heard(direct from QR crew) its 'big brother is watching you' kind of environment, when yr in DOH. Records of when yr in & when yr out of crew accom. Who visits you at what time they arrive/leave, etc. Plus you're not allowed to leave Qatar without the correct papers, so if you hate it, you're at their mercy.
Otherwise check www.cabincrew.com pages & pages of stuff on QR under the Middle East/Gulf section, inc plenty of interview content/tips.
FlyEmirates From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 7, posted (8 years 4 months 1 week 6 days 17 hours ago) and read 34469 times:
My Girlfriend is cabincrew at QR, I suggest you accept their offer as a last resort
1) Exit permit needs to be obtained to leave DOH, at EK just leave and come back when you want - as it should be.
2) QR insists that you sign into immigration via fingerprint over 12 hours prior to start of next duty - this shortens your leave considerably - especially as they dont give you a legal day off after leave as EK does. If you are late for 12 hour cut off you will not be able to have any exit permits for six months as a punishment for being naughty.
3) If you call in sick you have have to go to the clinic same day or you will have salary deducted.
4) Not allowed to go through duty free in airport or allowed to rest handbag on crew bag. Crew are strictly prohibited to listen to ipods or touch mobile phones when in uniform even when being picked up on bus. During standby at airport technical building (maybe 6 hours) not allowed to take hat off.
5) No visitors allowed to stay in apartment overnight except mother/sister, all visitors kicked out at 10pm, at EK anyone is welcome to stay with written request
6) Have many a time caught crew transport with EK when on leisure travel, at QR captain can travel with his wife and thats it.
7) EK typically have 1 month of standby every 6 months, I manage to either swap or bid for days off which gave me 5 days off in a row this month. QR however 'pad' your roster with standbys so you hardly ever achieve more than 2 days off together
8) No cash allowances at hotel unlike EK
9) Pay I would estimate to sometime be as bad as 60% of what I get at EK depending on flying hours, layover stations etc . At EK ICN achieves 190USD while CCU maybe 40USD - you get the idea!
Have 6 points only as I dont have time for the other 100 odd.
I suggest you try for EY/EK and QR as a last resort
I'm sure their religious beliefs are very important, but they are going to have to ease their conservative views. They have a bunch of airplanes on order, if they don't change their ways, how will they ever fill those positions? not many Westerners will go for that life-style. If I were to take a job at Qatar, I would respect their country and culture, but my personal life is my business. On my days off, I would like to go wherever, whenever I want. Whoever enters, or leaves my apartment, again its my own damn business.
Great airline, a lot of potential, but Qatar would never work for me.