Addd From United States of America, joined May 2007, 397 posts, RR: 0 Posted (7 years 1 week 6 days 1 hour ago) and read 1785 times:
Will appreciate if someone can help me with this (very practical) question:
- A relative of mine is arriving to EWR on a Luftnansa flight from FRA and needs to connect to a domestic flight on UA. LH flight arrives at Terminal B, United flight leaves from Terminal A which, at EWR, automatically means that you have to leave the secure area, hop on the AirTran and go through security again. His luggage is techically checked through to the final destination in the US (SFO). How does the luggage re-chack work at EWR in this case? Is there a Star Alliance re-check desk after the customs in Terminal B (similar to, say, T5 in ORD)?
Dutchjet From Netherlands, joined Oct 2000, 7864 posts, RR: 57
Reply 2, posted (7 years 1 week 6 days ago) and read 1735 times:
Quoting Someone83 (Reply 1): You can re-check the luggage just after customs, before getting on the train
Correct, what will happen is as follows:
1. Arrive EWR on the LH flight at Terminal B.
2. Clear immigration and then pick up bag and walk it through customs.
3. After clearing customs, go to baggage re-check area and deposit bag(s). They should already be labeled for the UA EWR-SFO flight.
4. Jump on the AirTrain for ride to Terminal A.
5. Assuming that boarding pass for the UA flight has been issued, proceed through security and go to the gate for the EWR-SFO flight. (Confirm that gate assignment as not changed.)
6. Double check with gate agent that all is in order.
The entire process should take about an hour.....depending upon lines at US immigration.