Airtebiong From Philippines, joined Apr 2007, 67 posts, RR: 0 Posted (7 years 6 months 1 week 3 days 8 hours ago) and read 1838 times:
Last week, NH 202, operated by B773ER, was delayed for an hour because of weather issues in Siberia. ANA said that the delay was inevitable due to the bad weather at diversion airports. Im just wondering if this happens to other carriers, and if so, how often?
Another thing, how easy is it to change the flight plan to mae sure that diversion airports are available?
[Edited 2007-11-21 10:47:57]
i believe that beauty is skin deep, and my skin is very deep!!
YVRtoYYZ From Canada, joined Mar 2004, 674 posts, RR: 0
Reply 1, posted (7 years 6 months 1 week 3 days 4 hours ago) and read 1730 times:
There are many factors that can effect ETOPS flights which could create delays:
1) No suitable alternate ETOPS airports with long enough runways for the particular aircraft
2) Limited alternate airports for ETOPS diversions for airlines based on their history, political ties and agreements
3) Wx may be down in all potential ETOPS alternate airports
4) No two ETOPS alternate airports that are close enough within the circles in order to be compliant
5) Flying with a restricted ETOPS rating because the aircraft is new to the airline (ie. the airline has ETOPS rating of 120 for all other flights, but a new aircraft to their fleet may only be rated at ETOPS 90, thus offering limited ETOPS alternates)
Charliejag1 From United States of America, joined Aug 2006, 241 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (7 years 6 months 1 week 3 days 2 hours ago) and read 1636 times:
Realistically, while all 5 of these items could impact ETOPS operations, only #3 would cause delays on a particular day. All the others are long term issues rather than day to day operational issues that come up. One issue we have in the US SOC (ops center) where I work is a delay caused by an ETOPS check. This happens when we have to swap 757s on a Hawaii flight. If the new Hawaii a/c was not originally scheduled to fly to Hawaii it will not have had the daily ETOPS check. This inspection must be current before the ETOPS flight leaves and usually takes about 60 minutes.