I think this is an excellent development. Previous services to DIL were limited to Air North services from DRW and Merapiti from DPS. The new service to SIN is the first link to a genuine long haul hub. Europe, Asia and the Middle East are now only one stop away. Not to mention a connection an important regional centre in SIN.
East Timor remains an underdeveloped state - I suggest the existing flights largely serve the aid/diplomatic community that supports the fledgling state. Are there reasonable prospects of additional flights, maybe even a national airline. I would have thought in the forseeable(ish) future prospective other services would include.
- A QF link, maybe through DRW or BNE down to SYD. Australia does have a significant connection with East Timor.
- Additional links to Indonesia, competition to DPS and nonstop flights to CGK too.
- Increased interest from Silkair/SQ, and possible interest from MH from KUL
- A long shot of KA flights from HKG, I'm not sure about the relationship between China/Nth Asia and East Timor but it does seem possible
- Low cost servce - from who? TR from SIN (and/or DRW), JQ from SIN, AK from KUL and CGK