Delta777jet From Germany, joined Jun 2000, 1165 posts, RR: 3 Posted (4 years 11 months 2 weeks 7 hours ago) and read 1993 times:
at what time will the takeover process be done and SN finally enters the Star Alliance.
Also when will the codesharing between SN and AA/AY/BA end?
Will SN get Miles and More as they Frequent Flyer Program or are they keeping their own?
Srbmod From United States of America, joined Mar 2001, 17273 posts, RR: 51 Reply 1, posted (4 years 11 months 2 weeks 6 hours ago) and read 1932 times:
LH has not taken over the airline. They will have a 45% stake (pending shareholder & gov't approval) in it with the option to purchase the remaining 55% of the airline in 2011. This is per the press release they issued back in September:
IFlyATA From United States of America, joined Dec 2005, 238 posts, RR: 3 Reply 2, posted (4 years 11 months 2 weeks 5 hours ago) and read 1891 times:
Hmm...I booked tickets on AA connecting on SN for July 03/04, JFK-BRU-BCN. Am I right to assume that when stopping the codeshare with AA, they would first stop selling tickets together, or is it possible I might have a problem this coming July?
The take-over plan is currently waiting for EU approval, which is expected somewhere in January next year.
The reason why it takes so long is because LH has asked clearance to take-over the airline in full, rather than just a permission to take a minority share in it plus gain operational control, like it will be doing in a first phase. It means the EU needs to look more closely at the matter and may demand some concessions from SN/LH (probably giving up some slots on BRU-FRA or BRU-MUC to allow competition), but the advantage is that there will be no surprises later on...
In a first phase LH will just take a 45% stake so Belgium has time to re-allign their bilateral agreements allowing the Belgian designated carrier to be foreign (but EU) owned as well. This is expected to take around 2 years, after which LH will buy the remainder of the shares.
The entire integration process is very similar to the way in which LX was integrated. Maybe somebody can give us a recap of the key events at LX, it will give us a good idea of what lays ahead for SN.
SN has only just been invited to join STAR alliance and has pointed out it normally takes anything between 12 to 18 months to join. Since SN's entry is entirely sponsored by LH, they are sure of a fast lane so to say, but don't expect it to happen in 2009.
There's too much which needs to be done, so the earliest possible date is end of March 2010.
Indivudual codeshares with STAR airlines will start earlier however: expect code-shares with LH and OS as from the summer season for instance...
Depending on who's benefitting most from them, SN or the codesharing partner, they will either be let to expire at the end of the contract date, or be replaced by STAR codeshares only the moment SN joins the alliance....
Quoting Delta777jet (Thread starter): Will SN get Miles and More as they Frequent Flyer Program or are they keeping their own?
SN will keep Privilege for the time being, but expect it to be replaced by Miles&More soon after LH takes 100% in the airline: so not before 2011.