Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Would An Alliance Ever "start" An Airline?  
User currently offlineVC10er From United States of America, joined Feb 2007, 2793 posts, RR: 10
Posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 5 days 17 hours ago) and read 2919 times:
Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

If an airline allinace like "Star Alliance" had a serious but small gap somewhere and could not find a suitable partner, do you think they would have the "stones" to start an "airline" of their own?


The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!
4 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineeinsteinboricua From Puerto Rico, joined Apr 2010, 2678 posts, RR: 8
Reply 1, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 5 days 15 hours ago) and read 2828 times:

If I'm not mistaken, Russia had AiRUnion some time ago. What started as an alliance of airlines was in the process of becoming an airline before all of its members went bankrupt.


"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
User currently offlineMasseyBrown From United States of America, joined Dec 2002, 5215 posts, RR: 7
Reply 2, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 5 days 15 hours ago) and read 2809 times:

I doubt if an alliance (which lacks sufficient assets and borrowing power) would start an airline in its own name, but I can imagine circumstances in which a few big alliance members help to finance a startup which would then belong to the same alliance.


Consilivm: Cave ne nothi te vexant
User currently offlineEastAlt From United States of America, joined Aug 2009, 29 posts, RR: 0
Reply 3, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 5 days 8 hours ago) and read 2554 times:

I would say this could be possible. This would be a great opportunity for a new US upstart. However, im sure the creation of a new upstart in the US would create a lot of noise. Other issues might include ownership limitations, and might require antitrust approval by the goverment. Please note, foreign carriers cannot own more than 20 percent of a US carrier. So the remaining 80 percent would have to be owned by an investor or US air carrier.

User currently offlinejetblueguy22 From United States of America, joined Nov 2007, 2649 posts, RR: 4
Reply 4, posted (3 years 10 months 1 week 4 days 17 hours ago) and read 1964 times:
AIRLINERS.NET CREW
FORUM MODERATOR

It might be able to work with like regionals. Could be a good revenue sharer.
Blue



You push down on that yoke, the houses get bigger, you pull back on the yoke, the houses get bigger- Ken Foltz
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Would Aerolineas Argentinas Ever Join An Alliance? posted Tue Aug 8 2006 23:52:20 by Eastern023
Would An Airline Swap Classes For Spouses? posted Thu May 10 2007 09:57:23 by EYKD
Will MH Ever Join An Alliance? posted Mon Nov 6 2006 06:31:00 by ThaiA345
Will Emirates Ever Join An Alliance? posted Mon Aug 7 2006 14:31:39 by PurpleBox
Is MSN Ever Going To Get An Interesting Airline? posted Wed Mar 22 2006 17:46:42 by Akeytravel
Would An Airline Fly An RJ Over 4 Hours? posted Mon Aug 29 2005 15:42:59 by LUV4JFK
Will There Ever Be An Aussie Airline Joining Star. posted Mon Dec 29 2003 10:58:06 by Travel
Why Would An Airline Buy Both ERJs And CRJs? posted Wed Jul 2 2003 04:03:13 by YUL2010
Will Virgin Ever Join An Alliance? posted Thu Apr 10 2003 22:01:29 by StarFlyer
Would An Airline Work If.... posted Fri Feb 18 2000 21:28:05 by Panamfanatic