Mls515 From United States of America, joined Jun 2000, 3081 posts, RR: 8 Posted (14 years 6 months 4 weeks 2 hours ago) and read 2736 times:
OK here's the scenario:
In April I booked a ticket to fly from DSM to CVG and back on DL/Comair. I never would have thought the strike would have lasted as long as it did at that point.
The problem is that the flight I booked is not operating yet and I was automatically re-booked on another flight that leaves later. This poses a problem because I will miss some important functions related to my cousin's wedding due to the later arrival time, which is 5hrs, 25minutes after the time I would have arrived had the flight I booked operated.
I called Delta and the guy I talked to basically said that there was nothing he could do. Couldn't put me on any other flights or airlines. Couldn't allow me to leave from Cedar Rapids as an alternative to DSM without paying a $100 change fee and any applicable fare difference. I was very nice to the guy which makes me wonder if I called back with an angry and threatening demeanor if that would get me anywhere. Using Delta.com I checked the agent's claim that there were no more flights and I have to disagree. I could leave DSM on an ASA flight to ATL and connect on mainline Delta to CVG. It shows seats available for this option.
Well, am I screwed or should Delta be doing more to accomodate my schedule?
Travaz From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 317 posts, RR: 0
Reply 1, posted (14 years 6 months 4 weeks 1 hour ago) and read 2690 times:
I would try again as many times you can get what you want if you just get the right person. You have nothing to lose. However Delta probably looks on it as a sked change and doesnt really have to do anything for you if they dont want to. It has also been my experience (From both sides of the issue) that pleasant gets you more than screaming. If you can't get what you want, politly ask for the supervisor. Good Luck
Goingboeing From United States of America, joined Dec 1999, 4875 posts, RR: 15
Reply 2, posted (14 years 6 months 4 weeks 1 hour ago) and read 2677 times:
Ask to be connected to Customer Care. I had a similar situation, and they made the changes for me, even allowing me to select the flights I wanted. I'll second what what Travaz said - be pleasant...it gets you a lot farther than screaming.
CaptainAD From United States of America, joined May 2001, 73 posts, RR: 0
Reply 3, posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 22 hours ago) and read 2653 times:
I was supposed to fly TPA-CVG-LAN two days after Comair went on strike. I called Delta in advance to change my tickets, talked to 4 different people, and got 4 different answers. I was told I would have to pay fees, I was told I had to go the next day, I was told I had to fly TPA-ATL-ORD-DTW-LAN. Finally, the last agent I talked to was able to help me out without fees and only making one connection in DTW. It all depends on who you get over the phone. I would keep calling. It worked for me. Plus, you shouldn't have to pay any fees. They should issue you FIMs at the airport. Hope it works out for you!
ACVITALE From United States of America, joined Aug 2001, 922 posts, RR: 10
Reply 5, posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 20 hours ago) and read 2634 times:
Actually, You should invoke the 2 hour rule. If the schedule change is more then 2 hours then the airline must accomodate the passenger within 2 hours or refund the ticket with NO penaties.
If Comair/Delta refuses you may wish to remind them. If they continue ask for a supervisor explain and advise that you are prepared to contact the Dept. of Transportation Consumer Affairs section and file a formal complaint.
Additionally, (and for speedy action assistance from the local media consumer watchdog groups and others will help with Delta's less the sterling nor professional approach to the situation in which they are abbrogating their rights.)
Lastly, You can have the supervisor read Delta's own conditons of carriage, consumer bill of rights and contract of carriage to cinche the deal.
If that doesn't work email me and I would be happy to champion your cause.
Hypermike From United States of America, joined Dec 1999, 1001 posts, RR: 5
Reply 7, posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 6 days 14 hours ago) and read 2605 times:
I'd suggest taking your tickets or itinerary to your local airport. Wait until the Delta ticket counter isn't busy. You might have more luck with a nice agent rather than a faceless voice on the phone.
Skyhawk From United States of America, joined May 2001, 1066 posts, RR: 3
Reply 8, posted (14 years 6 months 3 weeks 4 days 2 hours ago) and read 2579 times:
Ml515 - According to my husband(who is a Delta supervisor) you are allowed to do exactly what you found out. You can go from DSM-ATL, ATL-CVG without any penalty. This is because you flight was cancelled through no fault of your own. Whomever told you that you cannot go out of Cedar Rapids was also mistaken. He(my husband) says that this is also allowable. Call res and say so, if any problem comes up, ask for "Customer Care". Still no satisfaction, reply here(I'll keep watching) and maybe he can help. No promises, but he will try. Good luck!