globalflyer From United States of America, joined Dec 2005, 929 posts, RR: 3 Posted (2 years 10 months 5 days 5 hours ago) and read 3638 times:
I just got a call from my brother in law who is piloting UA846 from EZE-IAD tonight and they were called by UA Ops that the flight is cancelled due to an eruption of the Chilean Volcano. They received nothing about this on the way down last night so I assume that this has just erupted? Is it true that EZE and possibly other airports in the region are again closed due to this volcano? I appreciate any additional information for local Anetters!
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!
luckyone From United States of America, joined Aug 2008, 2172 posts, RR: 0
Reply 5, posted (2 years 10 months 5 days 1 hour ago) and read 3213 times:
Quoting miguel0881 (Reply 4): What do those without visas do when they arrive in GIG?
Hold in a transit lounge. A friend of mine had a similar problem in July when she was leaving EZE. Her flight was delayed and she was rerouted through GIG. She did not have positive things to say about the friendliness of the transit agents. At one point, apparently they did not even want to accept their interline tickets. Eventually they were allowed into the transit lounge.
miguel0881 From United States of America, joined Sep 2004, 75 posts, RR: 0
Reply 6, posted (2 years 10 months 5 days 1 hour ago) and read 3205 times:
Quoting luckyone (Reply 5): Hold in a transit lounge. A friend of mine had a similar problem in July when she was leaving EZE. Her flight was delayed and she was rerouted through GIG. She did not have positive things to say about the friendliness of the transit agents. At one point, apparently they did not even want to accept their interline tickets. Eventually they were allowed into the transit lounge.
Interesting. And if nothing's moving to EZE/MVD, I suppose the best option would be UA back to IAD.
CGKings317 From Canada, joined Nov 2005, 306 posts, RR: 6
Reply 11, posted (2 years 10 months 3 days 5 hours ago) and read 2253 times:
AIRLINERS.NET CREW CHAT OPERATOR
According to the Buenos Aires Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre, the most recent bulletin shows the ash cloud of Cordon Caulle drifting towards, and over EZE. As part of this bulletin, however it does quote:
Quoting Buenos Aires VAAC:
LOW CONFIDENCE IN THE +12 AND +18HR FCST FOR BOTH VA CLD BECAUSE IS
SEEN TO BE DISSIPATING.
While I know that volcanic ash clouds can change in intensity and direction with the prevailing wind, and also noting that the volcano has been quite active in the past few months, hopefully the above statement will portend safe skies over and around EZE for planes to operate in.
If your flying from/to/ or transiting EZE airspace in the not so distant future, make sure you check flight status and the Buenos Aires VAAC website for updates.
I love ✈ & volcanoes but the 2 of them dont get along, just ask KLM867 & PH-BFC
OB1783P From United States of America, joined exactly 11 years ago today! , 326 posts, RR: 0
Reply 13, posted (2 years 10 months 22 hours ago) and read 1882 times:
I see that the IAD-EZE flight was cancelled again Southward yesterday, and Northward today.
I have a reservation out from IAD to EZE on 12/3 and back on 12/11. I booked it on the CO site using 60,000 patiently accumulated miles.
This is planned a pleasure trip, and I am starting to have serious misgivings about it. UA must have a crazy situation in EZE since this flight is often full and they are forced to cancel it left and right. I wish now I had selected another spot for my vacation (it was a close tie between EZE, LED and IST this year).
What would you do in my shoes? I could stay home (I have to use the days) and go on a trip in the late winter instead...
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!