Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Is That Thing Called?  
User currently offlineMD11DC10 From Bahamas, joined Nov 1999, 70 posts, RR: 0
Posted (16 years 6 months 3 weeks 3 days 1 hour ago) and read 2035 times:

This past summer I went for an airport tour by bus at ZRH and it took us all over the
airport facilities. Amazing! Anyhow as the whole tour was narrated in German I did not
understand much. My question is during the tour of the maintenance hanger I saw a green
piece of equipment that was set up behind the 3 engines of SR's MD11 in maintenance.
This thing is like a metal tube like structure which I imagine is used to deflect thrust
coming out of the engines when they are being tested. Does anyone know what this
muffler like tube is called and why it's used?

Thank You very much

1 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineKaitak From Ireland, joined Aug 1999, 13264 posts, RR: 34
Reply 1, posted (16 years 6 months 3 weeks 2 days 9 hours ago) and read 1946 times:

I don't know what it's called, but I seem to remember seeing it, back in '94 and it's used for engine run up tests and these "mufflers" help to reduce noise and therefore the effect of the noise on neighbouring areas.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Is That Thing Hanging Down From The Tail posted Wed Oct 18 2006 06:35:10 by FL370
Airline Tail Livery - What Is That Thing? posted Thu Aug 10 2006 07:06:29 by 9MMAR
What Is That Thing? posted Wed Dec 8 1999 10:41:22 by Beckaru
What Is That Wheel Thing On The Side Of Bwia Jets? posted Tue Jul 2 2002 02:13:10 by Flyboy80
What The Heck Is That Thing? posted Fri Dec 28 2001 22:14:13 by Benny
What Is That In The Front Tires? posted Tue Oct 17 2006 19:29:38 by Flymario
What Is This Thing? [pic] posted Sat Apr 22 2006 18:00:18 by IAH744
The EK Photo On The Main Page. What Is That? posted Mon Jan 31 2005 12:32:24 by Mika
What Is That Site With The Live Flight Tracker? posted Tue Sep 21 2004 22:39:29 by Rjpieces
What Is That Web Site For The Seat Maps? posted Wed May 5 2004 02:16:57 by Pilot727aa