tayser From Australia, joined Mar 2008, 1123 posts, RR: 0
Reply 3, posted (1 year 10 months 2 weeks ago) and read 10342 times:
curious to see how they came up with all the Trans-Tasman routes given that SQ and CX dont do any 5th freedom stops in Australia en route to NZ. EK obviously do, but there's a lot of routes there that dont make sense given which airlines make up the map.
rampart From United States of America, joined Aug 2005, 3067 posts, RR: 7
Reply 6, posted (1 year 10 months 1 week 6 days 20 hours ago) and read 9459 times:
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 5): UA, AA fans and a few other folks are not going to be happy with this...
Yes... and South America, for example, looks kind of empty without the Gol, TAM and Varig flights.
They did establish a criteria, and stayed with it: "top 7 airlines (by international passenger distance flown)" as per Wikipedia, from IATA. Why top 7 and not top 5 or top 10, no discussion given. But this was a computer visualization exercise, not a commercial aviation thesis. The author comments on the lack of routes in India and China... well, it's because he chose international route miles as the yardstick, not domestic, and even then, India and South America are not going to register in the top 10 yet. It is what it is.
usdcaguy From United States of America, joined Jan 2004, 870 posts, RR: 2
Reply 7, posted (1 year 10 months 1 week 6 days 5 hours ago) and read 6966 times:
A few observations:
- DL looks heavy on US to Hawaii, but if you figure in all the flights from the WC plus SLC/ATL, I suppose that adds up
- It's a shame LH basically covers up AF and BA exit Europe by being in lavender. For a bigger picture, I think KL should be included with AF, as I show AMS to YVR/YYC missing.
- LH appears huge to Eastern Europe and many places in the Near East
- DXB looks like a good connecting point for South America to SE Asia
- No CX/SQ to Africa except to JNB. Srange considering the amount of China-Africa business that may be up for grabs. Any chance some of at business could shift off the Gulf carriers and onto nonstop flights from SIN/HKG/PVG?