QF175 From Portugal, joined Mar 2007, 717 posts, RR: 3 Posted (2 years 7 months 2 weeks 2 days 18 hours ago) and read 28886 times:
Welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread # 62. In the previous thread, the following points were discussed/raised:
* New start-up Airline searching for J31/32 flight crew for Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney basings
* Fog diversions at Brisbane Airport
* Qantas Sky Interior 737-800s
* Charter Airline JetGo receives its AOC
* VH-OJB departs the Qantas fleet for good
* Virgin Australia releases images of its new A330 cabins, including flat beds in Business Class
* Qantas A380 and 747-400 reconfigurations
* Emirates considering Adelaide
* QantasLink introduces F100 on Brisbane-Emerald services
* Air New Zealand announces it is upgrading AKL-PER services to 772 equipment from September
* Virgin Australia announces extra Australia-Queenstown services for the Winter 2012 season
* Qantas and Virgin Australia launch a domestic Business Class sale
* Air Austral confirms it is suspending Sydney and Noumea services from October 2012
* Virgin Australia announces it will commence services from Brisbane to Mount Isa in AUG
* Sunshine Coast Airport expansion
* Qantas closing Tullamarine (Melbourne) heavy maintenance facility
* Qantas and Jetstar A330s
* Virgin Australia increases flights to Gladstone and QantasLink bases a second 717 in Brisbane
* Qantas and Johannesburg
* Jetstar crewing
* Heavylift 737-400F heads to Melbourne
* Etihad takes a stake in Virgin Australia
* Qantas splits operations in to a Domestic and International Airline with separate CEOs
* Qantas shares fall dramatically amid rumours of a takeover and profit decline
* China Southern reportedly to add Cairns to network from November 2012
* Scoot commences services to Sydney and the Gold Coast, discussion about L/Fs
* JQ reportedly commencing nonstop services from Cairns to Singapore later in 2012
QF175 From Portugal, joined Mar 2007, 717 posts, RR: 3
Reply 1, posted (2 years 7 months 2 weeks 2 days 17 hours ago) and read 28975 times:
* Qantas has quietly dropped its once-weekly 737-800 service from Sydney to Newman. It has been reported that the reason for the flights being pulled is due to extremely poor forward bookings
* QantasLink will commence 1x weekly 717-200 services from Brisbane to Cairns (nonstop) from July 2012. These services will allow QantasLink to rotate 717-200 aircraft through both ports
* Virgin Australia's newest A330-200 VH-XFE touched down in Melbourne tonight, after operating a NONSTOP service from Toulouse, France. Flight time was reportedly 20.5 hours! With the addition of VH-XFE, the number of A330s in the Virgin Australia fleet now stands at 5
6thfreedom From Bermuda, joined Sep 2004, 3340 posts, RR: 20
Reply 7, posted (2 years 7 months 2 weeks 2 days 5 hours ago) and read 28461 times:
Quoting Mikey86 (Reply 5): However flights aren't loaded into the GDS as of yet. However from what I can see it doesnt tye up witn the NYC flight which would have been good if they planned it this way.
not so good. only Las Vegas seems to be a same day connection. Most others need overnight stay:
from Australia to USA:
HA444 357 BNE 1835 HNL 0805 >>
some lengthy connections:
Looks like HA are marketing more so to inter-island connections within Hawaii. According to a press release I saw on the emails. I am not sure they would be able to get lots of traffic through. If they timed it better they could have quicker connections to other destinations in Hawaii as well as mainland USA.
People would have to spend at least 1 night in HNL on the return to Australia. Maybe HA are getting a concession from the Hawaiian Government for timing it this way to pump some money into the tourism industry. Does anyone think this is the case?
koruman From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 11, posted (2 years 7 months 2 weeks 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 27944 times:
I'm just relieved that BNE-HNL returns.
I too would have preferred later timings.
It opens up avenues too for nice VA points and status earning. Since abandoning Air NZ I have been splitting my loyalty between QF (JQ Business for HNL) and VA, and have not been able to replicate the previous pattern of bringing my family over in comfort to a stopover point on my way back from US trips.
HNL in Business Class prices out at around $3500 return on VA-issued tickets, and onward DL First Class tickets to the East Coast average around $2200 return.
I like the idea of departing BNE on a Friday at 1835, spending 48 hours at leisure on Oahu (Friday am to Sunday am), then flying onward to my mainland destination.
On the way back, I need to be in HNL by Saturday morning to catch the return flight which returns to BNE on Sunday afternoon. In other words, if I add on one week of annual leave - which I often do anyway, and spend it in San Diego or Newport Beach - a work trip to anywhere in the USA will now be able to include a short outbound and long inbound stopover in Hawaii.
Lastly, it keeps Tahiti as an accessible destination for me, except from HNL rather than Auckland. That's actually quite a relief.
DavidByrne From New Zealand, joined Sep 2007, 1696 posts, RR: 2
Reply 12, posted (2 years 7 months 2 weeks 1 day 10 hours ago) and read 27641 times:
Quoting koruman (Reply 11): Lastly, it keeps Tahiti as an accessible destination for me, except from HNL rather than Auckland. That's actually quite a relief.
K'man - you must be pretty desperate to punish Air NZ if you'd rather fly HA BNE-HNL-PPT (7415 miles), rather than transit AKL (3972 miles). Seems a bit obsessive from my viewpoint on the sideline . . .
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
redrooster3 From United States of America, joined Oct 2010, 229 posts, RR: 2
Reply 13, posted (2 years 7 months 2 weeks 1 day 2 hours ago) and read 27402 times:
Hey guys, I have a question. VH-OEB went on some pretty weird charter flights lately. She went as QF6034. Was someone chartering her? Did she take a south america tour? Going from Fiji to Cuba is a flight I've never heard of.
Mikey86 From Australia, joined Jul 2011, 161 posts, RR: 0
Reply 22, posted (2 years 7 months 2 days 22 hours ago) and read 25076 times:
Any idea why QF012 was diverted to Brisbane this morning? I heard a sound similar to an A320 but was a little different, sounded like a larger plane, then i saw the 388. I believe the a/c operating was VH-OQK