Early Air From United States of America, joined Jan 2001, 611 posts, RR: 1 Posted (12 years 2 months 2 weeks 1 day 10 hours ago) and read 591 times:
Ok, lets say there is a 767 loaded with 200 passengers and 10 crew members. Out of the 200 passengers, 5 of them are suicidal terrorists who with the crash the plane into something. The terrorists first make their move and attempt to take over the plane. They are armed with small sharp objects such as box cutters, ect, NO FIREARMS which can reach across the plane. If the people just sit there and comply with these terrorists all passengers and crew will die, never less, the people on the ground. If EVERY PASSENGER aboard that aircraft were to stand up at the same time and attack these 5 terrorists, there is no doubt in my mind that the passengers would regain controll of the aircraft. No matter how strong these people are, no matter how many box cutters they have, 195 people can easily take down 5 people. There is a risk involved in this. However, you have to ask yourself "if I do not do this I will just die later", you may get killed, you may bet injured, however what is there to loose? If you dont do anything everyone will die. There is no doubt in my mind that if all passengers work together, they can gain controll of any plane over the terrorists. It is also not very hard to get the box cutters from them, and then turn them against them. Please keep this in mind the next time you are flying. I think this should be told to all passengers in the airline safty video. Any comments?
Boeingmd82 From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 236 posts, RR: 1 Reply 3, posted (12 years 2 months 2 weeks 8 hours ago) and read 557 times:
I've thought hard about this and have also discussed this with my captains, and we agreed on the following:
We are not allowed guns, but there are powerful ways to stop a hijacking available in any airliner.
1) The intercom. There are able bodied men on the plane, probably shocked and don't know what to do. Command them to fight the hijackers and they will.
2) Crash Axe / Flare Gun.
3) Perform a dive to float the hijacker, get them off their feet, then perform a max G maneuver, hopefully this will snap their necks, or bash their heads against the floor or bulkheads.
4) Disable the airplane, pull the fire handles, shut off the fuel valves. If we loose the battle, the airplane cannot be used as a guided missle. If these guys don't know how to land, they for sure don't know how to do an air start.
5) If you subdue them, make sure they can't fight later, you figure it out...
GLA MD11 From France, joined Mar 2000, 277 posts, RR: 0 Reply 4, posted (12 years 2 months 2 weeks 6 hours ago) and read 550 times:
I got some comments for you to discuss:
1. Before Sept 11, nobody ever thought that airliners could be used as guided missiles. So why risk your life if there is a chance that you survive. I agree that today, this has changed and will also change the passengers behavior facing terrorists...
2. 195 against 5 is not the way I see it: if the terrorists are in front of the plane, there are only 1 or two accesses to get to them (depending if you are in a wide-body or a narrow-body aircraft) so no matter what you do, all passengers cannot attack them at the same time. They have weapons, you do not. There could be a lot of casualties...
3. Passenger rebellion is what happened on the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania. What if that had happened over a very crowded city? Or a nuclear power plant? The US are lucky it crashed in a wooden aera, it could have been a lot worse...