Sponsor Message:
Civil Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Was Yoour Worst Flight Ever?  
User currently offlineApollo13 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 12 hours ago) and read 3633 times:

I was just wondering but what was your worst flight ever?.

Mine: I was flying with my dad to Burbank and right after we took off a passenger got really sick so we turned back the captain said we would on the ground for about 20 min. Guess what we were on the ground for over an hour. Pissed

55 replies: All unread, showing first 25:
User currently offlineFlyBoeing From United States of America, joined May 2000, 866 posts, RR: 1
Reply 1, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 12 hours ago) and read 3442 times:

Boy, it's been really sweet for you. I was on a Northwest 744 bound for KIX from DTW. Fucking thing kept on breaking down - or at least the mechanics who had no contract kept the thing on the ground - and it eventually took off 12 hours late. We left DTW when we were supposed to arrive in KIX. Un-fucking believable. The passengers were about ready to riot. They even brought that whale of a plane to the gate and let passengers who had previously boarded leave the aircraft - a MAJOR breach of security - because they were afraid of our wrath.

I wrote a letter to the CEO and threatened to go to the media and they gave me 25,000 frequent flyer miles in addition to the round trip U.S ticket that they gave everyone on that god-forsaken flight.

User currently offlineMfricke From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 286 posts, RR: 0
Reply 2, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 12 hours ago) and read 3412 times:

Last December, I was on an American Airlines Fokker 100 from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Oklahoma City. We boarded the plane 30 minutes late, after which time, the pilot announced that there was a problem with the air conditioning, and that there would be a slight delay. After a short while, the pilot announced that the mechanic had gotten his glove stuck in the unit. This took about 15 minutes to extract. After about 20 more minutes in line, we departed. As we climbed out of DFW, the pilot announced that the panel covering the unit that the mechanic was working on had fallen off in flight, and that the plane couldn't be pressurized. We had to make an emergency return to DFW. When we landed, there was not gate available, so we waited about 15 minutes for one to open up. Finally, one did, so we parked. It took around 30 more minutes for the panel to be reattached. Thinking we were ready to go now, the pilot announced that we needed more fuel, for even the short flight had used up more than required. We got more fuel, at which point the pilot announced that some had spilled on the tarmac, and that the DFW fire dept. had to be called out. 30 more minutes elapsed, and then we finally got in the air. We finally arrived in Oklahoma City, 4 hours late. Keep in mind, this is a 35 minute flight and a 2 1/2 hour drive. Obviously, my worst flying experience!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden

ONT - Southern California's Ontario!
User currently offlineJsmith From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 3, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 11 hours ago) and read 3385 times:

Delays seem to feature in the above responses but my memories of bad flights stem more from the airline involved - namely Philippine Airlines.

I flew with them in 1994 from Brisbane to Manila and return - both flights direct on B747 classics. On the flight there, we were upgraded to business class (which is the first and last time I have ever been upgraded).

The seats were nice and spacious in J class but the aircraft interior was tired and a bit tatty. My seat would not completely fold up so the foot rest just seemed to hang out. We were served fairly nice food but the service was robot-like. In fact, we had to eat so fast because the cabin crew were intent on collecting up all the plates etc as quick as possible.

When we took off from Brisbane, the overhead baggage door above us flew open and then a flight attendant came along and glared at us (as if it was our fault that the door opened - ie that we had been standing up or not in our seats for take off!!)

When landing in Manila some 6.5 hours later, the cabin crew were still cleaning up the galley while we were hurtling down the runway - not once during the landing did they sit down and strap themselves in like most airlines require!

The return journey was delayed by 45 mins, we were in economy and they ran out of dinner by the time they got to our row of seats. It was abysmal.

I would not fly PR ever again and have managed not to do so. I was not sorry to see them collapse in the late 90s and was horrified to see that they are flying again - albeit using A330s into Australia.

User currently offlineHeavymetal From Ireland, joined May 2015, 25 posts, RR: 0
Reply 4, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 11 hours ago) and read 3381 times:


The airplane and the airline performed wonderfully. But half hour after having some orange juice & cream cheese & bagel at the terminal, my intestinal system DIDN'T perform wonderfully.

And we were #15 to take-off.

(It's amazing how hard you can concentrate on the rivets in the wing just to take your mind off of....uhhhhh.........)

User currently offlineLoneStarMike From United States of America, joined Jul 2000, 4028 posts, RR: 31
Reply 5, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 11 hours ago) and read 3358 times:

November 5, 1994. AA flight from MIA-DFW. The plane was a DC-10. I was returning with three friends from a cruise. Two of us were from Austin, two others were from Salt Lake City. This was back when AA was really ramping up service at MIA, but they hadn't completely given up the hubs at RDU and MIA.

I had made the reservations 10 months prior to the trip and double checked on our seat assignments right before we left to go on the cruise. I had given my travel agent fits making sure we all had seats together in the middle section on the MIA-DFW leg.

We pull up to MIA in the limo and there must have been 200 people standing in line outside to be checked in by the skycaps. The lines inside the terminal were even worse. It was so crowded there wasn't enough room for everyone on the actual sidewalk, so there some people who were standing in the street. The skycaps were yelling at everyone to get back on the sidewalk and STAY IN LINE! It was mass bedlam, and it was hot and humid.

We finally checkd in. Mary, my friend from AUS, and I already had our return boarding passes, but for some reason David and Lili (the 2 from SLC) did not. So we go to the gate and David and Lili get in line. Mary and I were in 34 C &D. David and Lili finally got to the head of the line and got their boarding passes. Lili ended up in 24E and David ended up in 18E, so we obviuosly were not going to be sitting together. That kind of bummed me out, but at least Mary and I were still going to get to sit together.

The plane (I think it was coming from SJU) finally got to the gate late and the ground crew was trying to make up for lost time, so they were rushing everyone onto the plane. Of course, when Mary and I got to our seats, there were two ladies already sitting in them. We asked to see their boarding passes, and they, too had Seats 34 C & D. And then IT happened. Mary went ballistic.

She's kind of um... assertive, if you know what I mean. So in this LOUD Suzanne Sugarbaker-from-Designing-Women-Voice she yells, "EXCUSE ME! WE HAVE A PROBLEM!", and starts going off on one of the flight attendants. All conversation in the cabin stopped and all eyes were on us. God, I was so embarrassed I just wanted to crawl away and die.

The flight attendant asked us to come and stand at the rear of the plane and they'd get things sorted out. As we walked down the aisle, the other passengers were smiling at her and telling her to relax - these things happen all the time, but Mary just scowled and fumed at them. As I walked behind her, I just shrugged my shoulders, shook my head and rolled my eyes.

At the back of the aircraft, there were about 6 or 7 other people whose seats had also been given away. We all stood there, and Mary was going on and on and on - God I wanted to strangle her! They let everyone else board, and then those of us in the back got to take what was left over. (So much for "assigned seating".) They told us to go back up to row 11.

So we trudge all the way up to the front of the plane, only to find out that our "new" seats were ALSO occupied by other passengers. Well don't you know that set Mary off and she had to start going off on this other group of flight attendants who were near the front. "THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!! BLAH BLAH BLAH!" She got about 10 seconds into her tirade and this male flight attendant cut her off and hissed through clenched teeth, MA'AM! Just take the first available seat!"

So Mary yells "FINE!" and with a flip of her hair she stormed nto the first class cabin. I looked at the ceiling and said "Lord, just kill me now." I turned and went back through coach and finally found a vacant seat in 12E. They ended up removing Mary from first class and of the four of us, she was the only one who got an aisle seat. The rest of us were in the dreaded middle seat of the 5 seat middle section.

Finally, everyone was seated and we were ready to go (we thought). We sat and sat and sat some more. It was hot, it was crowded and people were getting irritable.Then the captain came on and said the delay was because they were still loading bags. He explained that AA had recently added a bunch of flights at MIA and there just weren't enough employees to do the job and asked for our patience. (So much for them rushing us onto the plane to try to make up time.)

Finally, we pushed back from the gate and got behind a long line of planes awaiting our turn to take off. We'd taxi a little then stop, taxi a little bit more and stop. Then, all of a sudden, we turned out of the line and went over to the side.

Captain came on again and apologized, but said that not all the paperwork was done and it would need to be completed before we could take off. This took another 25 minutes.

We finally took off and got to DFW about two hours late. I didn't speak to Mary again for a year and a half after that nightmare trip.

And that is the story of my worst flight.

THE END.  Smile


User currently offlineAirmale From Botswana, joined Sep 2004, 391 posts, RR: 1
Reply 6, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 4 hours ago) and read 3297 times:

Mine was in 1978 on an SAS DC-10 bound for Bangkok and Singapore, I was sick from the moment the plane left the ground at Karachi right upto landing in Singapore, it was a nigthmare I was 8 then and really looking forward to the flight more than the trip itself so it turned it to be quite a disappointment, since then I never travel without taking motion sickness pills Sad

.....up there with the best!
User currently offlineYorkie From United Kingdom, joined Sep 2001, 125 posts, RR: 0
Reply 7, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 4 hours ago) and read 3283 times:

Two flights. By co-incidence LHR and SFO involved.

1) BA 747-100 LHR-SFO late 70's. Aircraft went tech. Replacement a/c needed fixing. When fixed LHR was fog-bound. Bussed to hotel in Kensington, arrived at midnight. Took an hour to get a room. Had to get up after 3 hours for bus back to LHR. Sat on plane waiting for fog to clear. Then ATC at SFO screwed up our descent clearance and we had to overshoot. (that was the beat bit actually). Arrived 22 hours late, knackered.

2) Pan Am 747-100 SFO-LHR, 3rd July 1987. Flight heavily overbooked. Total chaos with around 50 angry people wanting seat assignment at the gate. Finally got a seat right at the back by the toilets. Plane was filthy inside and out. No sleep due to constant rattling of interior. Only one meal, no choice of food which tasted disgusting. And I had a full fare economy ticket.

User currently offlineJetboy From United Kingdom, joined Jan 2001, 184 posts, RR: 0
Reply 8, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 3 hours ago) and read 3286 times:

HEL-ARN on finnair

no sleep, and the WORST hangover ever, got stuck in the cockpit as the plane was full. and believe that was the last place i wanted to be at the time. Purser offered me some smelly salmon sandwich, which i politely declined and after that batled against throwing up on the instruments for the remainder of the flight..

cheers jetboy

User currently offlineContrails From United States of America, joined Oct 2000, 1845 posts, RR: 0
Reply 9, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 3 hours ago) and read 3272 times:

My worst was an AA flight from LIT to DFW one summer a few years ago, using a Fokker 100. I was supposed to connect in DFW to return to DCA, but things got a little complicated.

First, there were thunderstorms in the route between DFW and LIT. The incoming flight was delayed. Then around 1400 (as I recall, but my memory may be off a bit) we boarded, and all seemed fine until takeoff, when the captain stopped it just after starting it. He said he saw something wrong on the instruments and we'd go again. Finally we took off, and all seemed well until we started making a big circle in the sky. Thunderstorms had developed over DFW, and we couldn't proceed.

We circled for about an hour (very boring, I might add), then the captain said there was no way we'd get through anytime soon, so we returned to LIT. About 2 hours later we reboarded, and we thought we were on our way. Well, almost. First, new storms had cropped up and we had to fly past Shreveport, then turn west. Then the storms were still over DFW, so we flew down almost to Houston. Then we started heading back north and I thought everything would be ok. Not quite.

Around 2030 (I think) we were on the outskirts of Ft. Worth, a few miles southwest of downtown, when the captain said we'd have to land at AFW (Alliance) to refuel. He said we didn't take enough fuel on at LIT to make it all the way in. AA has a big maintenance base there.

By then I had long since given up any hope of getting back to DCA by morning, but I thought at least I could get a good night's sleep at a hotel somewhere. But another problem arose - the mechanics at AFW didn't know how to refuel the plane! I was sitting by a window watching them, and they apparently didn't know how to use the equipment. Also, after many flights I knew that they weren't grounding the fueling unit, which with thunderstorms not too far away caused me some serious concern. I thought we might go up like the Hindenberg.

Finally, we got refueled and I thought we'd be at DFW before 2200. Wrong. They had put too much fuel in the plane, making it too heavy to land. We had to sit on an apron for 30 minutes running the engines at high speed to burn it off.

We arrived at DFW around 2220 or so, on the far west side of the airport. It took another 10 minutes to taxi over to the gate, a few more minutes to get parked and get everyone off. It had taken over 8 hours to get there from LIT.

My first priority was to book a flight the next morning for DCA, so I went to the nearest ticket counter. I wasn't surprised to see that there were 200 or more people ahead of me.

But AA, in one of their finest moments, had roving agents working the line, and one asked me where I wanted to go. When I said Washington, she said there would be a special flight to IAD at 2 something, and there were plenty of seats. I went to the AAir TrAAm to get to the other terminal, and thought all would be ok. Guess what? The TrAAm stopped for over 20 minutes due to a power failure.

To end this way-too-long story (I've actually omitted some of the details!), the flight to IAD arrived around 0500, I got home around 0700 after waiting for passenger services to open and give me a taxi voucher. I called in to work to say I wouldn't be coming in, and went to bed.

I know you may not believe this, but it's absolutely true. I got AA to give me 10,000 miles to compensate me for my misery, and I chalked the whole thing up to experience. After all, I had made so many flights with no problems at all I figured I was overdue for some.

The plane was 2CL, which I have learned is currently in storage at TUL. So if you happen to see 2CL there someday, remember that there was a guy on it in seat 12F one night making an 8+ hour flight from LIT to DFW.

As they say, truth is stranger than fiction.

Flying Colors Forever!
User currently offlineSUDDEN From Sweden, joined Jul 2001, 4169 posts, RR: 5
Reply 10, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 3248 times:

This is not a delaystory, but the worst flight I ever had was when I was on my way home from Mallorca.
The A320 is a nice A/C, but not that day. After T/O my hangover from one weeks constantly drinking came over me. And when we flew over the alps the turbulense started.
That didn't make it better I can tell you.
I don't think I need to write where I spent most of the flight. I was "driving the bus".

When in doubt, flat out!
User currently offlineOla From Finland, joined Oct 2001, 84 posts, RR: 0
Reply 11, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 3231 times:

I have flown about twenty times in my life (i´m 15) and every flight has been a good flight. It has always been a pleasure to be in airplane. Maybe it´s because my flight experiences have been quite small beside yours.

User currently offlineKROC From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 12, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 2 hours ago) and read 3214 times:

I have 2 worst flights, and neither was due to the airline or aircraft. My first, was a flight from Dallas to San Antonio. I was on my way to Basic Training, so being filled with so much uncertainty and fear, it was a horrible flight. Second, I has on a World Airways military Charter from Seattle to Suwon Air Base Korea. The weather at Suwan forced us to land at Kimpo International instead. There, we were on the ground, for over 5 hours, because the pilot didn't speak Korean, and couldn't get us the fuel and a new flight plan we needed for a 6 minute flight Suwon. Plus, in the back of the plane, were I was, the AC was not working, and it was hot as hell back there.

User currently offlineB737-700 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 13, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days 1 hour ago) and read 3207 times:

A Delta Express flight from IAD to MCO. We missed our beautiful United B757 because we were coming in late from Frankfurt.
And I was soooo much looking forward to my first UA flight. That was in 1997.
The Delta Express 737-200 didn't offer food, the plane smelled horrible, the seats looked like introduced 30 years ago.
And I was feeling sick by the way.


User currently offlineSolnabo From Sweden, joined Jan 2008, 930 posts, RR: 1
Reply 14, posted (14 years 7 months 6 days ago) and read 3171 times:

It was from Frisco to L Tahoe with American Eagle, a a/c smaller than a Treotube*and THAT´S SMALL*, up over the mountains and down to Tahoe, about 25 min.
but the updrafts was so strong and this little piggey
wanted down so there was prayirs from all 13 of us....
anyway, we got down but I´ll never been so scared and luckelly I had a Valium in my pocked when I saw the a/c in Frisco Smile/happy/getting dizzy)))) *maybe an SAAB 340??*
Michael/ SE

Airbus SAS - Love them both
User currently offlineSamurai 777 From Canada, joined Jan 2000, 2461 posts, RR: 4
Reply 15, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 21 hours ago) and read 3157 times:

The worst experience for me was not because of bad service nor getting sick (I never get airsick! Big grin).

It happened on the Thanksgiving weekend in October (Canadian Thankgiving, that is.) of 1998. I was supposed to go to Vancouver from Edmonton. I had tried to book a nonstop CP flight from YEG-YVVR return - and all flights were booked solid even two months in advance!! (Ironically, after AC brought up CP, I now find it far easier to book a nonstop on the YEG-YVR route) This meant having to connect in Calgary - a pain in the ass for me, often because flights between YEG and YYC are delayed half of the time.

The day came, and I had to board a Dash 8 to YYC, not a bad plane in itself, but there was a delay fo about 40 minutes, so when I landed in YYC, I had to run like an Olympic runner on steroids - the flight was just starting to board. I tried to use my Canadian Plus upgrade stickers to go on Business Class, as I was boarding a Fokker F28 - which I had never flown on before and was soon to be my least favorite jet aircraft. Unfortunately, I was politely told that business class was full. The flight was totally full - and I got stuck in an economy class seat which was so small that it was designed more like it was for a nine-year-old kid rather than an adult like me. I'm 5'10", BTW, and the seat pitch was hell! Felt like it was no more than 27"!

Next, the real fun began. The F28 pulled out of the gate and the pilots cranked up the turbofans - the engines didn't exactly roar like a 737 or an A320 would - they actually screamed like giant hair dryers. Holy cow, until that time, I had never been in a plane where the cabin noise was too close to that from outside. The noise changed to a roar after taking off, then resumed its screeching after landing. But it was loud the whole time. There was no freaking way I could hold a conversation with anyone.

To top off the whole experience, the flight was very turbulent after going over Banff and it was violent until about 10-15 minutes prior to landing in YVR(Vancouver). It was so rough that meals and drinks couldn't be served at all - and the seatbelt sign was lit the whole time. Interestingly, I never saw any passengers getting sick, although I'm sure at least a couple were close. I did see quite a few people literally white-knuckled during the whole flight. None of the crew was rude, however. In fact, they were apologetic for not being able to provide the service the passengers wanted.

I felt truly relieved after getting off the F28, and although I did have to fly one of these damned Fokkers back to YYC on the way home and the flight was better, including an upgrade to Business Class, I vowed to avoid all F28 flights completely. I've never had to go on an F28 again anyways, since there was always the option of AirBC or WestJet. Fact is, I'm glad they don't fly F28s into YVR from YEG or YYC anymore.

User currently offlineUsa4624 From United States of America, joined Oct 2001, 280 posts, RR: 1
Reply 16, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 20 hours ago) and read 3132 times:

I Flew Delta from Austin to Stuttgart, Germany in February of 2001, and had a horrible trip. The flight to Stuttgart was not bad, but flight 117 from Stuttgart to Atlanta was horrible.

The largest problem was the length of the flight, 10 and a half hours. The jet was not prepared properly for a flight of this length. The 767 was filthy, and appeared that nobody had attempted to clean it. The seats were very small and uncomfortable. It was very hot aboard the plane, and the flight crew told us there was nothing they could do to make more comfortable.

The jet was not very well stocked for a transoceanic flight. They ran out of every amenity you expect from an airline. They did not have any newspapers left for the people at the back of the plane; the people up front got them. There were no playing cards or magazines available. It was the same way with beverages (no Coke or Sprite), Ice cubes, and meals (no beef dishes when they got to me).

To make matters worse, the flight attendants were not very cooperative or understanding. They were never there when you needed something, and ignored the attendant call button. They were very rude, especially when you asked for something they did not have.

User currently offlineJwenting From Netherlands, joined Apr 2001, 10213 posts, RR: 17
Reply 17, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 20 hours ago) and read 3125 times:

Worst delay: 20+ hours on a scheduled 1-hour fuelstop (that took slightly longer to repair a major fuelleak that almost crashed us on the first leg).
Those 20+ hours were mostly spent locked up in a waiting room with 3 seats for about 40 people (the natives were worse of, they were left to sit in the open outside the airport building) under armed guard.
Second leg was not the Ty-154 of the first, but an An-24 and was diverted to a grass strip (where airport workers had to lead away the sheep before we could land) because the destination airport had suffered major damage due to flooding rendering the runway inoperable.
The trip continued several hours later in some minivans with wooden benches, a 3 hour ordeal over unpaved roads with potholes deep enough to swallow a wheel.

In all, a 5 hour flight lasted 2 days.

Welcome to Siberia!

I wish I were flying
User currently offlineLambourne From United Kingdom, joined Sep 2001, 81 posts, RR: 0
Reply 18, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 3100 times:

About 10 years ago I was on an Air UK Leisure B737-300 going from London Stansted to Jersey in the Channel Islands. The weather was really crap at Jersey, low cloud, high winds and rain. Nothing else was landing. We cruised around for 30mins and then set down at Southampton where we sat for another 45mins. Then it was announced that there was slight hole in the clouds and off we went to Jersey. By the time we got there it had gone again but our guy thought he'd give it a go.
The engines spooled up and down like yoyos, then I looked out of the window and saw a guy by a greenhouse looking up for what seemed like ages but was only a split second. Then there was loud bang as we hit the runway with enormous force. Some of the overhead bins popped open and some masks came down as well. The deceleration and vibration was incredible as we rolled to the end of the very short runway. My girlfriend (wife now), had her eyes shut firmly and when we got into the terminal she threw up and cried for an hour.
...Apart from that, we had a great time!

User currently offlineBernsa From United States of America, joined Apr 2000, 93 posts, RR: 0
Reply 19, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 3093 times:

Out of 50+ flights here's the tops! So take your pick... my favorite is the last one.

July 1987: EWR-LGW Continental (Former PeoplExpress) 747-100
The air conditioner unit above my parent's heads leaking in First Class... Departure delayed 60 minutes as techinicians take the whole overhead thingie apart and scratched their heads... Determined it would stop leaking once in flight and parents forced to sit back somewhere in Economy for takeoff and landing. Passengers behind get dripped on during takeoff.

July 1987: VEN-LHR Alitalia MD-80
Due to a work stoppage by employees, the airplane was fueled up, ready to go, and we sit at the end of the runway for 4 hours while the employees have a sit-in. No food service or support from FA's at the time. Forced to cut stay short by one-day in anticipation of work stoppage due to impending transfer for flight home.

February 1988: TUS-ABQ-MCI Eastern 727-200
Mechanical problem causes flight to ultimately be cancelled. Stuck in Tucson for 8 hours before being reaccomodated on a CO flight through Denver to Newark. No room for standby as we watched 2 flights to Denver leave without us. End up catching red-eye back to Newark. Arrive home next morning as the school bus pulls up to the house.

February 1989: EWR-IAH(-SAN) - (EWR-LAX-SAN) Continental A-300
Mechanical problem with A-300 causes flight cancellation. Douglas DC-10 flight to Los Angeles with the only occasion in my entire life in which I did not get a Window seat. Aisle row of Middle section. Transfer to USAir at LAX was tricky. Arrived too late for rental car company... refused to accomodate us.

February 1990: PHX-EWR Continental 737-300
As soon as aircraft pressurized, head began to throb in pain. Tylenol did nothing. Headache of likes unfelt since lasts for entire flight until we descend through about 10,000 ft. for landing 4 hours later.

August 2001: EWR-IAD - Continental Embraer ERJ-145
ATC and then weather force cancellation of 4:00 PM flight. Airline cancels all remaining DC area flights and can only accomodate in the morning, too late for business meeting. Airline lies about location of bags (had flown to IAD on a different flight since I checked in early) and keeps me at airport to 11PM when they tell me the bag is in IAD. Received no compensation from baggage department. Yelled at by staff, and they called police when I yelled back. Ended up driving. Total time for trip: 17 hours to get to Washington D.C. from Newark, NJ. Nasty unresolved situation with credit card company, Best Western Newark Airport, Travel Agency, and the airline. Only received upgrade coupon as compensation this week in the mail.

User currently offlineJohnnie From Portugal, joined Jul 2005, 0 posts, RR: 0
Reply 20, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 3083 times:


User currently offlineSpinkid From United States of America, joined Jul 2001, 1435 posts, RR: 0
Reply 21, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 17 hours ago) and read 3076 times:

This was October of 1996. Along with another friend we booked a Western Pacific Mystery Fare. It included hotel and airfare and was very cheap. WestPac told us to pack for 70 degree weather and since we were leaving from Newark we were pretty excited. We arrived at the airport to find out we were going to San Francisco. Neither of us had been there since we were kids so we were both excited.

The flight from Newark to Colorado Springs was uneventufl until it was time to land, we were informed that the airport was closed and we would be diverting to Denver. We landed in Denver and were informed that a bus would take us to Colorado Springs. As it turns out all of WestPac's westbound flights were diverted, I counted about 5 planes. To transport us, they had 3 buses. There was literally a mob of people trying to get on these buses. There were no representatives from the airline and the bus drivers only response when asked about more buses was "he didn't think so, but he didn't know". I managed to get a seat in the floor of the aisle of the bus, my friend got an actual seat when a woman was thrown off the bus for arguing with the driver about when it was going to leave. Upon arrival at Colorado Springs, we joined the mob at the check in desk, everyone was informed no flights would be leaving that night and all of our question about being reaccomodated were met with "I don't know". Finally they gave us hotel vouchers and told us to call the 800 number at 7AM. it was now around 12:45 AM local time. We then went to get a cab outside, we met another couple who were headed to the same hotel. We finally hailed a cab, the driver asked where we were going, when we told him he turned to the people next to us, asked them and told them to get in, telling us, they were a better fare. Finally we got another cab and got to the hotel around 2AM.
We woke up, finally got through to the 800 number and were told that the person who could help us wouldn't be in until 8. We called again, got through, they promised to call us back, we waited until 9, then called back when we realized we were going to miss the first flight out to San Francisco. They told us that they couldn't get us on a flight that day, we even offered to go to another city, but they said no. The only choices we had were to spend one day instead of 3 in San Fran, or spend our trip in Colorado Springs and forfeit the rental car and hotel portion of out trip. (not to mention we weren't packed for the Colorado cold) Fortunately my friend is a good fighter and we settled for this offer, a full refund if we got on the next flight back to Newark, so we raced off to the airport and got on that flight.

Overall it was a free overnight in Colorado Springs, I had about 20 minutes of daytime sightseeing on the way to the airport. We didn't even have time to eat a meal in Colorado except for breakfat at the airport.

User currently offlineSin777er From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 22, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 16 hours ago) and read 3053 times:

Manila-Cebu, Philippine Airlines B747-200.
When I entered the plane, it was very packed. After takeoff, I wished to travel on a window seat but as I said, it was packed. I was very uncomfortable in the middle. The plane was very hot and stuffy, and I was sweating like hell. Luckely on the Cebu-Manila sector it was B747-400.

User currently offlineYyz717 From Canada, joined Sep 2001, 16525 posts, RR: 54
Reply 23, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 16 hours ago) and read 3056 times:

Hot breakfast with undercooked egg (I think) on an AC A320 from YYZ-YOW. Upset stomach within 1 hour of landing. Puking soon after in terminal, at my company's offices. Returned to YOW airport for flight home a few hours later....puked again in YOW airport, on YOW-YYZ flight home, in YYZ airport. Puked in car driving home from airport.

At least AC serves hot meals on short 45 minute flights.

Complaint letter to AC was answered with "we've reviewed our kitchens/processes and can't confirm food poisoning...blah, blah, blah". Ya, no kidding. 5000 addl aeroplan points did little to chear me up.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.
User currently offlineKarliboy From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2001, 254 posts, RR: 0
Reply 24, posted (14 years 7 months 5 days 16 hours ago) and read 3050 times:

With Spanair from POP-LGW (767-300)...flew in terrible storms for 4 out of the 9 hours. we were on the trailing edge of a hurricane and the cabin crew were told to take their seats (for 4 hours)! people being thrown madly around in their seats....it sounded like world war 3 had broke out in the galley behind us with most things crashing to the floor....i thought they had to tie stuff down during bad weather....nevermind....total nightmare...put me off flying for a while...of course British Airways got me back on the road to recovery!

25 Staffan : Flying into CDG with one heck of a cold...Thought my ears would explode.
26 Hoons90 : Alitalia MD80. AMS-FCO. My ears felt like they would explode during landing, sadly chewing gum diddn't help.
27 Tom775257 : This flight p*ssed me off no end...trying to get from seattle to heathrow with American..... First, got to SEA at around 9:00pm...got on a nightflight
28 United_Fan : Mine was October 2000 SEA-ORD on a UA A319. Now I was excited,as this was my first Airbus flight and all. Anyways,we all board the plane,door was shu
29 Boeing747-700 : Mine was Air Transat Flight 554 from YYZ to MCO on Aug the 18th 2001. I was on a Lockheed L10 11-150 when I saw the young women throwing up a few seat
30 Travatl : These are great. Here's mine. In 1991, I was 19 years old, and traveling from FMN (Farmington, NM) to EVV (Evansville, IN). This was the routing: FMN-
31 N17085 : WN HOU-TUL 1994, intoxicated man, went crazy, landed at DAL, SWAT met us on board.
32 PSU_DTW_SCE : Mine wasn't only a worst flight, but also a very bad trip in terms of air travel. Sat. 12/23/00 AA 1537 DTW-ORD: 737-823 N924AA The flight was suppose
33 CPH-R : Worst flight? Hmm.. Flying on a B777-200 from Seoul to Sydney, encountering both heavy turbulence (gotta love it when you ris & fall some ½ a meter!)
34 Lindy field : Mine was on a Pan Am flight from London to Los Angeles on a Boeing 747 in the summer of 1987. The aircraft left LHR about two and a half hours late, b
35 NWA : I was on a 722 flight comming back from flordia. I flew with my sister because she is underaged, so she needed the "kids Program" The Bitch at the gat
36 PanAm747 : >>The Iranian wound up "inheriting" an amazing pile of luggage. I would say he wound up with about 30 pieces of unclaimed luggage!
37 Post contains images RayChuang : My worst flight ever? Wuhan-Guangzhou on a CAAC Antonov 26 turboprop plane in 1989. Imagine the horrid conditions: 1. NO effective noise insulation--y
38 M.Seles_Fan : Worst flight... Southwest Airlines: CLE-ONT (with 3 layovers) Cleveland-Chicago (Midway)-Ohama-Las Vegas-Ontario. I don't think I ate a bag of peanuts
39 KaiTakFan : Mine was a combination of flights to create the worst flying experience. during my high school spring break in 1998 within a 9 days i flew, LAX-HKG-BK
40 KAL_LM : It was on my first transcontinental SEA-PIT-Reagan National, a red-eye deaprture out of SEA so I'd arrive early and ready to get going at this confere
41 NWA : Boy, there have been some bad flights on here!!
42 AM744 : Year 1987. Aeromexico's night flight MEX-ZIH(Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo) on a DC-9-32 was already 2 hours late. When were about to leave the pilot informed th
43 Post contains links and images Spacecadet : Worst flight for me came at the unfortunate age of 8 while traveling alone - soured me on flying forever (I'm still interested in aviation, but mainly
44 Post contains links and images VS744 : I also had an experience which took a further 24 hours of flying to calm me back on subsequent flights. It was a JMC Air flight from Gran Canaria (LPA
45 Andreas : HKG-LHR in March 1994 on B744 BA (City of Norwich). Just about everything went wrong: 1. Flight Time over 15 hours (!!!) in 2. Terrible weather (faste
46 Garuda : My worst flight is on December 1999 aboard Air India A310-300, SIN-CGK. I took AI because it offered the cheapest fare. First, the plane was delayed f
47 Spacecadet : One more from me, not as bad as my UA DC-10 flight but still pretty bad: Must have been 1978 or 1979 - HUGHES Airways if anybody remembers them (the a
48 Post contains links Godbless : My worst flight was GRU - AMS two weeks ago on KLM. It had nothing to do with the airline or the airplane but I just wanted to stay in Sao Paulo with
49 Argento : 4 Yeas ago,we arrive early on Buenos Aires(EZE),final destination Cartagena(Colombia),conection in Bogota,Airline AVIANCA,Airliner 767-200.Thank to th
50 Post contains links and images Hkgspotter1 : Click for large versionPhoto © Propfreak Hong Kong to Manila was bad and the return flight was cancelled !!!!!. Thank you PR for bringing me home
51 Fly_emirates : This happend when i was visiting my parents in summer 2000 who are diplomats in the United States. I booked my flight on Lufthansa, and i had to connc
52 Wadha : United, from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow, almost three hours delay because of MEchanical problem, and then add to that the thunder storm that
53 Speedbird244 : Flying LIN-LHR-MNL on BA on Christmas 1997, a Horror story. I boarded the shuttle bus and nearly froze to death because we just sat there for 25 min,
54 AC340 : My worst flight was a TS flight from YYZ to MCO on a 757-200, originally scheduled for a 7am departure and didn't leave until 10am. That isn't why I d
55 Cor_18 : I remember in March 2000, coming home to Toronto from Thessaloniki in Greece. We went from Thessaloniki to Milan, then on to Amsterdam, but then the f
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Was Your Best Flight Ever? posted Fri Jan 2 2004 16:47:17 by KLMCedric
What Was Your Worst Flight! posted Wed Jun 28 2000 03:54:42 by Neo
What Was Your Worst In-flight Experience? posted Thu Sep 11 2003 23:06:37 by Northwesta319
What Was Your Fastest Flight You're Ever Been On? posted Wed Aug 1 2001 11:16:38 by Luxair
What Was The Last Flight Into Kai Tak? posted Wed Mar 8 2006 21:54:15 by Rossbaku
What Was The Noisiest Airliner Ever? posted Sat Jul 30 2005 02:54:06 by TheSonntag
What Was Eastern's Last Flight? posted Sat Jul 2 2005 15:45:17 by MSYtristar
What Was The Worst Moment You Had In An Airplane? posted Thu Jul 17 2003 03:02:48 by B752fanatic
What Is Your Shortest Flight Ever Flown? posted Wed Aug 14 2002 17:48:38 by Redngold
What Was Eastern's Last Flight? posted Sun Aug 4 2002 19:13:44 by 727LOVER