Sponsor Message:
Military Aviation & Space Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
What Is An "Alpha Gadget"  
User currently offlineContrails From United States of America, joined Oct 2000, 1845 posts, RR: 0
Posted (14 years 7 months 1 week 5 days 21 hours ago) and read 2968 times:

When I was a kid I monitored what I presumed to be a USAF excercise on my shortwave radio (I've forgotten how I came to that conclusion, but there must have been some evidence to support it). The pilots kept referring to their "alpha gadgets", each asking the other if it was on, one repeating "turn on your alpha gadget".

Anyone have an idea what they could have been referring to? This has intrigued me ever since that cold winter night long ago.


Flying Colors Forever!
1 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineLucifer From United Kingdom, joined Mar 2001, 106 posts, RR: 0
Reply 1, posted (14 years 7 months 1 week 5 days 18 hours ago) and read 2948 times:

Alpha refers to angle of attack. Aircraft can either fly by reference to a speed and the vertical descent rate, or as is more useful on delta-winged aircraft refer to and angle of attack gauge or alpha gauge. This is the angle at which the mean chord of the wing is offset from the airflow, and maintaining a fixed alpha assists in maintaining a set descent path eg on final approach.

Otherwise it is a code for something you shouldn't know about.

Top Of Page
Forum Index

Reply To This Topic What Is An "Alpha Gadget"
No username? Sign up now!

Forgot Password? Be reminded.
Remember me on this computer (uses cookies)
  • Military aviation related posts only!
  • Not military related? Use the other forums
  • No adverts of any kind. This includes web pages.
  • No hostile language or criticizing of others.
  • Do not post copyright protected material.
  • Use relevant and describing topics.
  • Check if your post already been discussed.
  • Check your spelling!
Add Images Add SmiliesPosting Help

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What Is A "fighter"? posted Fri Dec 27 2002 02:49:59 by Cadet985
What Does " CLV " Mean? posted Sun Jan 29 2006 07:47:11 by AerospaceFan
What Are Those "Pods" On The F-15? posted Mon Oct 17 2005 03:44:13 by AnMCOSon
C-17 Cockpit - What's This "thing"? posted Sat Feb 5 2005 11:02:24 by FlyinTLow
What Is It Like To Fly An F-16 posted Tue Dec 7 2004 02:23:34 by Aggiepilot13
Trivia Question: What Was The "Bank" posted Sun Jan 5 2003 13:01:08 by L-188
What Does The "V" In VF Mean? posted Wed Aug 29 2001 23:12:29 by Sunken_Lunken
"Speed Is Buster"? posted Wed May 30 2001 00:34:23 by SJC>SFO
Where, And What, Is This? posted Wed Dec 6 2006 16:46:39 by Clickhappy
KC135 "civil" Designation? posted Sat Dec 2 2006 16:12:40 by Kaitak

Sponsor Message:
Printer friendly format