Sponsor Message:
Non Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
UK Driving Permit  
User currently offlineAirxLiban From Lebanon, joined Oct 2003, 4536 posts, RR: 52
Posted (9 years 11 months 2 weeks 4 days 7 hours ago) and read 1506 times:

I'm currently in the UK on a student visa and I want to enquire about getting a UK driver's permit.

I went on the DVLA website but couldn't get some questions answered, so thought I'd post them here.

I have a US (California) driver's permit and an international drivers permit (issued in the US). I am 22 years old, in the UK on a student visa that expires in February 2007 and as of September (1 year of my being in the UK) I won't be able to use my California drivers license anymore.

So in order to get a UK one, do I have to go through all the rigamaroll that a newly licensed driver at the age of 18 would have to, or is there some other procedure?

I know that when we moved to the UK in 1993 my father handed over his Cypriot drivers license and got a UK one without having to take any tests, but I'm sure that had something to do with Cyprus being a former colony etc etc so my question is whether or not I will be exempted from any of the tests that a newly licensed driver would have to take.

2 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineIFEMaster From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (9 years 11 months 2 weeks 4 days 7 hours ago) and read 1501 times:

I believe it's the same as what I had to go through when I could no longer use my UK license in California. I had to take the written test and then the driving test.

User currently offlineSoups From Ghana, joined Jun 2004, 3438 posts, RR: 13
Reply 2, posted (9 years 11 months 2 weeks 4 days 4 hours ago) and read 1474 times:

Getting one in the UK is a pain with the strict tests.
check on DVLA website, you can exchange your permit (USA to UK one) for some countries, not sure if USA is included

Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
UK Work Permit? posted Fri Jan 6 2006 01:09:33 by Brokenrecord
UK Driving Test - Tips Or Advice? posted Wed Jan 21 2004 22:48:59 by EGGD
Learner's Permit Driving In Other States posted Mon Jun 9 2003 04:46:04 by DeltaRules
Christmas Travel Question: UK-US posted Sat Dec 9 2006 11:42:22 by SmithAir747
The UK Pre-Christmas 2006 A-Net Meet (Part 2) posted Fri Dec 8 2006 18:57:25 by BMIFlyer
UK! Pan, Down, Going. Great To Be British? posted Thu Nov 23 2006 15:17:30 by 53Sqdn
UK Work Permits? posted Wed Nov 22 2006 05:58:29 by AA787823
British Rocker Says UK Troops Should Stop "Crying" posted Wed Nov 22 2006 01:49:22 by AerospaceFan
The Fun Of Driving? What? posted Tue Nov 21 2006 22:23:10 by Foppishbum
UK Kerb US Curb - Question posted Fri Nov 17 2006 18:03:36 by 808TWA