Sponsor Message:
Non Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
British Citizenship Question  
User currently offlinePhxairfan From United States of America, joined Jun 2001, 811 posts, RR: 7
Posted (9 years 10 months 2 weeks 1 day 20 hours ago) and read 1890 times:

Ok so here's the deal. My mother was born in England in 1958, has a British birth certificate and was naturalized as a US citizen when her family came back to the States following her father being stationed in England with the US Military. As I understand any child born to a British parent after 1983 whether born in Britain or not is also British. By virtue of being born in 1985 here in the US am I also a British Citizen?

1 replies: All unread, jump to last
User currently offlineOly720man From United Kingdom, joined May 2004, 7154 posts, RR: 11
Reply 1, posted (9 years 10 months 2 weeks 1 day 16 hours ago) and read 1865 times:

Looks like you are.....


(b) Mother -Automatic claim if born after 01 January 1983 and mother born, registered or naturalised in the UK.

Before the introduction of the British Nationality Act 1981 (effective 01 January 1983) a female born in the UK could not automatically pass on citizenship to her children.

On 7 Feb 1979 the government announced that a new Nationality Act would be introduced on 01 Jan 1983 allowing all children born on or after this date to claim citizenship automatically from a mother born in the UK.

However, the Act would not be retroactive and children born before the effective date would not benefit. In the meantime, a mother could apply for any child who was still a minor (under 18) to be registered as a British citizen at the discretion of the Secretary of State.

Many British women resident overseas were unaware of the announcement in 1979 and missed the opportunity to apply for citizenship on behalf of their minor children. Consequently, an amendment to the British Nationality Act 1981 has now been put into effect allowing all persons who would have been under 18 on the date of the announcement (7 Feb 1979) to register now.

All those born overseas to a British mother between 7 February 1961 and 31 December 1982 are now eligible to register as British citizens retroactively. See British Citizenship for forms and fees.

Those persons not born between the relevant dates cannot apply for registration. But, a commonwealth citizen with a mother born in the UK may have the right of abode and can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement allowing entry into the UK for work and residence purposes. Information can be found on the Immigration/Visa pages of this web-site.

wheat and dairy can screw up your brain
Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Dual Citizenship Question... posted Wed Jul 12 2006 07:42:42 by N506CR
British Citizenship - Take The (un)official Test! posted Mon Oct 31 2005 11:16:08 by Gordonsmall
Thai Dual Citizenship Question? posted Sat Oct 8 2005 03:48:40 by Frontiercpt
Question For British Telly Watchers. posted Tue Oct 19 2004 11:14:43 by Thom@s
British/Canadian/Australian Money Question: posted Wed May 9 2001 17:42:08 by Mls515
Naval Gun Question posted Tue Dec 12 2006 15:42:50 by LHMARK
A Question For Our American Police Members posted Tue Dec 12 2006 15:41:38 by 53Sqdn
Random Question: Lemons... posted Tue Dec 12 2006 00:34:45 by QXatFAT
PC Computer Question posted Mon Dec 11 2006 19:18:38 by UA777222
Question About Filling Up... posted Mon Dec 11 2006 03:05:44 by Sleekjet