YYZflyer From Canada, joined Feb 2006, 3643 posts, RR: 4
Reply 4, posted (8 years 1 week 4 days 7 hours ago) and read 2965 times:
There is a shooting gallery. I've never been to it but, I have a coupon for using a machine gun from 3 years ago. The address is 2911 West 39th Street. Phone number is 407-428-6225. I don't know if they are still open or not.
It will be tough to get on property the days leading up to the launch but depending how far out you are the better. If you can come a week beforehand that would be ideal, or plan on going the day after the launch.
DeltaGator From United States of America, joined Sep 2005, 6341 posts, RR: 13
Reply 11, posted (8 years 1 week 4 days 4 hours ago) and read 2924 times:
If you are going to be in Titusville for the launch...
1. I apologize that it is such a crappy town. You'll understand why I moved away.
2. When in town go to lunch at Dixie Crossroads on Garden Street. Damn good seafood but you want to get the rock shrimp. Get a multiplatter to try them different ways.
3. Find a parking spot along the Indian River. You might find some free spots but doubtful. Garden Street and US1 can be a good spot by Sand Point Park.
4. If you can get to the vistor's center by all means go. Usually they clamp down on security close to a launch so it might be hard to get out there.
5. If they allow you across the river on Garden Street there is the Blackpoint Wildlife Drive which will show you some interesting parts of Florida. Alligators, Bald Eagles, lots of other weird stuff that can kill you if you aren't careful.
6. Again, I really apologize for Titusville. I'm sorry. I really am sorry you have to see it.
1. Of course the Mouse House and all that crap.
2. For a good steak I insist that you try Linda's LaCantina on Highway 50/Colonial Drive across the street from Herndon Airport. My family has been going here for 30+ years. The atmosphere is bad, the decor was finally updated but still blah, but the steaks are so damn good. Get the T-Bone. You won't be sorry.
3. Harry P. Leu gardens up in Winter Park is a nice place for a walk. The humidity just might be ok to venture outside as well by the time you get there.
4. Gatorland Zoo down in Kississimmee is incredibly tacky but oh so Classic Florida.
5. Lake Eola Park in downtown Orlando is a nice walk.
6. John Young Science Center in Winter Park on US17/92 (Mills Avenue.)
And of course...enjoy the bars that Kaddyuk couldn't get into even if he did look good.
One of the most annoying things about Orlando. Back when the Bee-Line was built in the 60s they said they would take the tolls down when it was paid for. It was paid for the first year but those damn tolls still exist. Now they have more plus the ones on the East-West and the Greenway. Who was that jackass weakass Congressman they had back in the 80s when they exploded in size? Jerk couldn't get any good Federal money for roads at all. You can thank him for the tolls.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."
Take the cape tour !
crap somebody already mentioned that.
We're flying - on AIRMILES!!!
I just actually booked Launch-day tickets at the KSC. We're going to be within 6 miles of the Shuttle. I can't wait. not only that, but we get access to places that 'most' people don't --The VAB, the actual launch pad gantry, stuff like that. It'll be a blast!
SlamClick From United States of America, joined Nov 2003, 10062 posts, RR: 68
Reply 16, posted (8 years 1 week 3 days 17 hours ago) and read 2865 times:
Oh, you can see the landing place of the Bell X-1 on its first ever flight.
January 25, 1946, Bell factory test pilot Jack Woolams was dropped over Pinecastle Airbase, later named McCoy AFB, later part of the present Orlando airport (KMCO) This was X-1 number 1 which, which, the following year was flown supersonic. It now hangs in the Smithsonian.
I don't have the airport charts in front of me, but the old Pinecastle runway was more or less where the westernmost of the four paralells now lies.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.