SlamClick From United States of America, joined Nov 2003, 10062 posts, RR: 66
Reply 3, posted (8 years 10 months 2 weeks 2 days 10 hours ago) and read 2563 times:
Airline Pilot because it is "free" now that I am retired. They mostly go into the trash without even being opened. I liked the flying but I guess I never was much interested in the airline industry. I certainly had little interest in labor relations.
No paid subscriptions anymore. Every one I've picked up for the past many years is about 80% ads and I'm not in the market for ANYTHING. The other 20% is mostly consumer-product reports which is thinly-disguised advertising. I just cannot plow through that much advertising in pursuit of anything magazines might have to offer. The last subscriptions I had were:
Omni, which I canceled when I realized Bob Guccione was the publisher. When I find I disapprove of a person I follow up and try to prevent their getting any of my money. This was such a move.
National Geographic because they utterly abandoned being interesting in favor of being green. The two are not mutually exclusive but apparently they don't see it that way.
I've actually published a small article in one magazine and been mentioned very kindly in another since the last time I actually had a subscripion to any.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.
ScarletHarlot From Canada, joined Jul 2003, 4673 posts, RR: 55
Reply 8, posted (8 years 10 months 2 weeks 2 days 7 hours ago) and read 2523 times:
Man, I feel like a girl.
Conde Nast Traveller (free as an SPG gold)
Road and Track
F1 Magazine (well, that one comes to Mr. Harlot)
Maclean's (so I can keep up on the Canadian news)
I also make sure to go out and buy OK! and Hello! from the UK every week. I LOVE the trashy gossip magazines. After a hard day of work nothing beats a cozy chair, a cup of tea, some chocolate, and a trashy gossip mag. I also score brownie points on flights by giving my trashy gossip mags to the flight attendants when I'm done with them. They are almost always delighted to get them.
I don't know how you can get it - when I became Gold they sent me email and I signed up. I got to choose from several mags. There's a thread about it on FlyerTalk in the SPG forum - I don't remember if it has anything that will help you find out how to get a free subscription if you didn't get the email. I am sure it couldn't hurt to call.