Sponsor Message:
Non Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle  
User currently offlineJetjack74 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 7414 posts, RR: 50
Posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1956 times:
Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

After the storm that rolled through Seattle here, over 50 people we killed, but several of those who died didn't die from the storm, but the after affects of it. Several victims died or became very ill, from smoke inhalation from using gas and charcoal grills, portable generators by using them indoors in where there is little or no ventilation. See the photo below and see the multi-lingual warning in the upper-centre page.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html
But this is main from those victims not understanding the warnings being in english. This raises the question, they couldn't read the safety warnings becuase they're unable to read english. I know it takes time for someone to learn english, or any foriegn language, but many people who are immigrants refuse to learn the language of the country they migrate to. And some immigrants rights' advocates are running campaigns against forcing immigrants to learn english when settling here. In the Netherlands, I understand it law that you have to learn Dutch before you can claim residency there(correct me if i'm wrong). But I think this raises an important point about immigrants being encouraged to learn english when coming to live here. If these victims could understand the warnings, they might be alive today. The stories below.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm.../2003487040_webkenmoredeath20.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ews/2003486450_stormdeaths20m.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ws/2003486358_stormwarning20m.html


Made from jets!
12 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineCoz From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 1, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1947 times:

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
But this is main from those victims not understanding the warnings being in english. This raises the question, they couldn't read the safety warnings becuase they're unable to read english.

Regardless of what language someone may speak, common sense says it's a bad idea to use portable grills and gas generators inside an enclosed area.


User currently offlineQueso From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 2, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1942 times:

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
After the storm that rolled through Seattle here, over 50 people we killed

Why did "we" kill them?


User currently offlineJetjack74 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 7414 posts, RR: 50
Reply 3, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1936 times:
Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

Quoting Queso (Reply 2):
Why did "we" kill them?

We all killed them, J/k. Typo. I mean't to say were killed.



Made from jets!
User currently offlineBushpilot From South Africa, joined Jul 2007, 0 posts, RR: 1
Reply 4, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1930 times:

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Several victims died or became very ill, from smoke inhalation from using gas and charcoal grills

This seems to happen in a few cases every year across the country. Most anyone with half a brain should know this in general though. In AK we have quite a few ad campaigns concerning ca.mo. ANC for example hands out detectors as well as a few of the smaller communities. Most of the cases in AK have to do with a faulty furnace and there have been cases of entire families dying in thier sleep. Quite sad, but for the most part preventable.


User currently offlineF9Animal From United States of America, joined Dec 2004, 5079 posts, RR: 29
Reply 5, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1928 times:

Actually they found another body today. That brings the storm related death toll to 13 at this time. Sadly, I am sure we will find more. Todays death is suspected to be Carbon Monoxide related, as they found a BBQ grill in the mans home. 73 year old man or close to that age.

We have another storm moving in tonight. Gusts to 50MPH possible. The weakened trees around the sound may become our latest victims of power issues.

This is a tragedy. Anyone who goes through things like this should take the time to check on your neighbors.



I Am A Different Animal!!
User currently offlineJetjack74 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 7414 posts, RR: 50
Reply 6, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 1926 times:
Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

Quoting Coz (Reply 1):
Regardless of what language someone may speak, common sense says it's a bad idea to use portable grills and gas generators inside an enclosed area.

Well, I was listening to a news report on KVI570am, and some of the victims were Somali, who they say it's common to light fires inside there homes to keep warm. Well, that's fine if you're living in a mud hut, or if there is adequete ventilation. They don't have a need to light fires to keep warm in most Central Africa because it's already hot there. But gas grills are not a household item in Somalia or Vietnam. But, not being able to read the warnings isn't helping.



Made from jets!
User currently offlineTedTAce From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 7, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 20 hours ago) and read 1913 times:

Quoting Coz (Reply 1):
common sense says

the chemistry set..


I feel bad for these people, but alas their lack of education or understanding of the products they used made those who didn't reproduce; eligible for a Dawin.


User currently offlineKFLLCFII From United States of America, joined Sep 2004, 3303 posts, RR: 30
Reply 8, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 20 hours ago) and read 1909 times:

That's sad.

But nevertheless, even with all the Carbon Monoxide warnings given down here with regard to using gas generators indoors and in the vicinity of a/c inlet vents after a hurricane, it almost certainly still catches a family or two after a major event...

 Sad



"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."
User currently offlineAsstChiefMark From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 9, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 20 hours ago) and read 1902 times:

I wonder how many were actually suicides.

Mark


User currently offlineCoz From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 10, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 19 hours ago) and read 1886 times:

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 6):
Well, I was listening to a news report on KVI570am, and some of the victims were Somali, who they say it's common to light fires inside there homes to keep warm. Well, that's fine if you're living in a mud hut, or if there is adequete ventilation. They don't have a need to light fires to keep warm in most Central Africa because it's already hot there. But gas grills are not a household item in Somalia or Vietnam. But, not being able to read the warnings isn't helping.

Did it say what these Somalis were using? Was it firewood that they had cut down on their own, or was it a grill of some type? The reason I ask is because you can't put warning labels on trees.

I suppose the best solution would be to mandate carbon monoxide detectors inside homes. Other than that, IMO I don't think trying to educate people of endless languages on the hazards of CO2 poisoning will be very effective. Sounds as though it's too little, too late.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 7):
the chemistry set..

How dare you! I am offended, sir!

You leave me no other choice than to declare you a dull car without hubcaps that got hit by a old muddy tree without a top that fell over!!!  grumpy 



User currently offlineJetjack74 From United States of America, joined Jul 2003, 7414 posts, RR: 50
Reply 11, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 18 hours ago) and read 1877 times:
Support Airliners.net - become a First Class Member!

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):
I wonder how many were actually suicides.

I don't think any of them were, just under-educated

Quoting Coz (Reply 10):
Did it say what these Somalis were using? Was it firewood that they had cut down on their own, or was it a grill of some type? The reason I ask is because you can't put warning labels on trees.

They were habachies and B-B-Q gas grills



Made from jets!
User currently offlineDougloid From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 12, posted (7 years 10 months 1 week 1 day 18 hours ago) and read 1873 times:

There were 7 people died in a house in Kirksville Missouri the other day and it's said it was CO poisoning....at this point there are no more details.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/..._GEN_US_Carbon_Monoxide_Deaths.php


Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
What To Do In Seattle And Vancouver posted Thu May 11 2006 12:50:23 by Safs
I'll Be In Seattle On April 29, What To Do? posted Thu Apr 20 2006 03:35:57 by GOCAPS16
US 'Zombie Party' Killings In Seattle posted Sun Mar 26 2006 19:49:05 by 9VSPO
What To Do In Seattle posted Sun Feb 19 2006 04:38:45 by LONGisland89
Death By IPod posted Tue Jan 31 2006 20:33:09 by Cfalk
Texas Woman Mauled To Death By Six Dogs posted Sun Nov 27 2005 23:36:04 by AAFLT1871
What To Do In Seattle For A Day posted Fri Nov 18 2005 23:41:00 by FlyingNanook
Hotels In Seattle..... posted Sun Mar 6 2005 07:41:34 by Widget1580
What To Do In Seattle posted Sun Aug 29 2004 05:44:46 by N766UA
Hotel Suggestions In Seattle And Vancouver posted Sun May 9 2004 03:53:46 by JBLUA320