Allstarflyer From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Posted (7 years 11 months 1 day 22 hours ago) and read 1579 times:
In the spirit of the current thread, So How Was Your 2007?, and not to be confused with the Jib Jab 2007 year in review thread, this thread is a year in review that doesn't necessarily include personal reviews (although they're welcome here, but likely better suited for the other thread), but more rather general perspectives on the year and even how they may have affected you.
The things that stand out to me currently are:
- The housing market decline of 2007 gives me some hope there might be some deals to be had in the future (as far as buying)
- There's no effective leader on the horizon for the U.S. presidency, which means . . .
- The war in Iraq will still be managed by a bunch of clowns, no matter who wins in '08.
- In college sports, Florida will no longer dominate, but in pro sports, Boston will.
- There's hope for countries out there who have bullies in charge - Venezuela's people keeping Chavez in check, Castro's power may completely be handed over to someone else in '08 and Pakistan could still have some elections coming up (whether Mush is corrupt or not).
- Anet changed hands - and the jury's still out for whether better or worse.
- Gas prices jumped in '07 (and we saw shades of it in '06 and a bit previous to that), and, IMO, will rise up to another $1 in '08.
- The Anna Nicole Smith coverage early in the year trumped the Iraq War coverage for a short while (according to Lou Dobbs' latest book "Independents Day" 21% of overall coverage vs. 15% of overall coverage), and, IMO, we'll see something in '08 that beats it. Think there will be anything in '08 that can beat the coverage of the '08 election like that?
-Itunes launched its Iphone, which, from what I can tell, is nowhere near worth the money. I'd like to get something like it in '08.
Crazy year, but a good one (at least for me). Makes me glad I don't have a TV.
Bwest From Belgium, joined Jul 2006, 1405 posts, RR: 3
Reply 5, posted (7 years 11 months 1 day 14 hours ago) and read 1495 times:
- Belgium needs a record 200 days to get a government, and still only maganages to get a temporary one
- Blair out, Brown in
- The Treaty of Lisbon is signed, aka the European Constitution (but just don't call it like that)
- Putin takes further steps in securing his power
- Pakistan terrorists takes further steps in destroying their countries democracy
AF340 From Canada, joined Jul 2007, 2786 posts, RR: 3
Reply 9, posted (7 years 11 months 19 hours ago) and read 1416 times:
Well in Canada, the RCMP (The Mounties) were voted the biggest news maker of this year. They tazed that polish guy to death, fallout from Mahar Arar and Air India inquiry. They had quite a few officers killed in the line of duty as well.
Sukhoi Superjet was unveiled (who really cares?).
My city's mayor has been a royal jacka*s. And he was voted in for another 4 years
Egmcman From United Kingdom, joined Jun 2005, 898 posts, RR: 7
Reply 10, posted (7 years 11 months 10 hours ago) and read 1392 times:
- finally bought iPod nano and quite impressed with it.
- my parents finally managed to sell their house and move to Spain
- I moved into an apartment
- I worked over 1950 hours during the year
- I got a pay rise
- I got drunk a few times
- Spent Christmas & New Year with parents in Spain
- Flew on an Airbus NB
- Flew from STN for a change
- Flew U2 for the first time
In terms of news
- Blair finally leaves office
- Brown becomes PM
- Blair becomes the first PM to be questioned police
- A380 enters service
- Galloway & Livingstone make themselves look stupid
- Top Gear gets an award for most popular factual program
- Raikkonen wins the drivers championship
- Ferrari complains as usual
- Max Mosley makes ass of himself
-Gronholm retires from WRC