FLY2HMO From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 7, posted (5 years 7 months 6 days 13 hours ago) and read 6551 times:
Quoting PhilGil (Reply 6): I concur. If you turn off all the Vista effects it might run OK, but you'll be happier with 2GB of RAM.
Agreed. Vista is a RAMwhore. Also, Intel makes good chips and I prefer them over AMD by far, but I've never liked their Celeron line, their caches are always tiny and it creates a bottleneck. Then again, I'm a speed freak. But yes, for just surfing the interwebs it should suffice.
FLY2HMO From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 11, posted (5 years 7 months 6 days 6 hours ago) and read 6463 times:
Quoting OA260 (Reply 9): What would be your choice of base unit for speedfreaks then??
Well I'm currently saving up for a new PC to build, but it's really hard to choose because I need two things: Plenty of power right of the bat and 2) loads of expandability so it won't be obsolete within weeks. I'm gonna use it for everything, so I need plenty of power for my games too.
I'm shooting for a 2.4ghz Core i7 with 6gb of RAM and 2x 1.5TB HDDs and an ATI HD4870x2.
Eventually I want to bump that system up to 16gb of RAM, get an extreme edition Core i7 once they get cheaper and overclock it, and two of those ATI HD4870x2s. So I'd have quad GPUs.
Not to mention the fact you'd probably need your own nuclear plant to run that thing
Quoting Imiakhtar (Reply 13): Very nice! I'm still running an AMD Athlon on a Socket A from 2004
I have 5 y/o computer too. I call it the FrankenDell It was a Dell 4300 but I eventually just swapped everything over the years. The only thing that's stock is the C drive and the CPU. I'm now up to 4gb RAM (the max), have an ATI HD3850 on it (the fastest and probably last card for AGP) and 3x HDDs. I got a new case, new 550W PSU, new fans, new mobo, it's pretty much a whole new machine. But I've reached the point where I can't upgrade this old gal anymore. The last thing I could possibly upgrade is the CPU. I've been thinking about upgrading to a P4 3.4GHz extreme edition CPU (Have a 3Ghz P4 HT now), they are pretty cheap nowadays (~$100usd) yet I wonder if the cost is justified for just getting 400mhz more than what I already have.
But my next dream rig is gonna run me $1600. Which is cheap considering I'm building it myself. If I were to buy it with Dell or any other major company a similar system would cost over $3000.
* The Aspire X3200 desktop PC will provide enough performance to easily handle your daily needs. A sleek black design houses a powerful system configuration and a host of features that will ensure you can enjoy movies, games and music from the comfort of your home.
* AMD Athlon Dual Core 4050E processor.
* 2.1GHz processor speed.
* 1MB cache.
* 2GB DDR2 RAM upgradeable to 4GB.
* 320GB SATA hard drive capacity.
* Multiformat dual layer optical drive.
* nVidia GeForce 8200 graphics card.
* Up to 896MB graphics memory.
* 12 in 1 media card reader - compatible with CompactFlash (Type I and II), CF+ Microdrive, MultiMediaCard (MMC), MMCmobile, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC), Secure Digital (SD) Card, miniSD Card, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo.
* Embedded high-definition audio with 5.1 channel surround sound support.
* Windows Vista Premium operating system installed.
* Software included: Acer Empowering Technology (eRecovery and eSettings Management), Acer Arcade Live, AcerGamezone, Microsoft Office 2007 Trial with Microsoft Works 8.5, eSobi, McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008, Adobe Reader, CyberLink PowerDVD + PowerDirector3 (Trial), NTI Media Maker.
OA260 From Ireland, joined Nov 2006, 27106 posts, RR: 60
Reply 23, posted (5 years 6 months 3 weeks 5 days 20 hours ago) and read 6144 times:
Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 22): Congratulation, Philip. I think it's pretty great choice.
After a day, satisfied with it?
Thanks. I did a test by reading a long TR and the pics loaded instantly. On my old laptop it sometimes took a while to load but not with the new PC. Also HQ videos on Youtube stream no problem. So far so good.
Next item I need is a Wireless printer/scanner . They are half price at the moment. Now is the time to buy these things.
FatmirJusufi From Albania, joined Jan 2009, 2441 posts, RR: 7
Reply 24, posted (5 years 6 months 3 weeks 5 days 18 hours ago) and read 6132 times:
Quoting OA260 (Reply 23): Thanks. I did a test by reading a long TR and the pics loaded instantly. On my old laptop it sometimes took a while to load but not with the new PC. Also HQ videos on Youtube stream no problem. So far so good.
You had problems like pics loading and Youtube streaming videos in your old laptop? Before my current PC I had before an other just like your laptop. Problems loading videos, pics and everything. Crap! :@
It's great feeling when you move to a better PC.