RootsAir From Costa Rica, joined Feb 2005, 4182 posts, RR: 42 Posted (4 years 1 week 2 days 6 hours ago) and read 3253 times:
Last february, two men in Russia died after coming out of the sauna. They had the intention of refreshing themselves by jumping on a pool of cold water. However the water in the pool had been boiled by error.
A third man that was present tried in vain to save them but nothing could be done !
bongodog1964 From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2006, 3439 posts, RR: 3
Reply 3, posted (4 years 1 week 2 days 2 hours ago) and read 2995 times:
Bizarre, and to be honest seemingly very unlikely to happen as reported.
Why would a plunge pool have the facility to have its water heated at all, even less likely to boiling point. Hot water systems normally only go to a maximum of about 80c at the boiler, they are not designed to boil, as boiling water in the pipes makes a hell of a racket to strat with.
And then it takes a lot of effort to fill a pool big enough for two people.
bohica From United States of America, joined Feb 2004, 2611 posts, RR: 0
Reply 5, posted (4 years 1 week 1 day 21 hours ago) and read 2746 times:
I call BS on this one. First you would need one hell of a system to heat an entire pool to boiling. Second, we all know what boiling water looks like in a pot on the stove. The pool would look the same way. Also there would be lots of steam coming out of the water. Anyone with any common sense would know better than to jump into boiling water.
MWHCVT From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2008, 637 posts, RR: 0
Reply 10, posted (4 years 1 week 21 hours ago) and read 2245 times:
I don't think that we are actually talking about boiling water in reality, I sounds as thought the error was to fill the plunge pool only from the Hot tap, this would result in some very hot water, no boiling but certainly hot enough to scold, burn the body at a cellular level, lets not forget you do not have to exceed the normal body temp by much to cause irepubal damage.
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
Well, I live in Holland, and here the hot water from the tap is really hot . The reason for this system is to kill any bacterias. Sweden doesn't use this system as there they have filters to sort that out. So the hot water never gets close to the boiling point. But here in Holland the hot water is no joke as it's close to the boiling point. And I can well imagine that if you jump in a tank with water as hot as we have it here, your gone. Maybe they use the same system in Russia.
AirPacific747 From Denmark, joined May 2008, 2271 posts, RR: 22
Reply 12, posted (4 years 1 week 20 hours ago) and read 2200 times:
I agree with some of the other posters.
I don't believe that really happened. It is pretty obvious when water is boiling due to a lot of steam and bubbles. Also the heating system is not geared to heating a whole pool and that to 100c degrees. Doesn't make sense.
SlimShady From United States of America, joined Dec 2007, 194 posts, RR: 0
Reply 13, posted (4 years 6 days 19 hours ago) and read 1954 times:
I belive it.
I was in Mexico on vacation with the wife a few years ago, and our villa had a private heated plunge pool. We asked the front desk to heat up the plunge pool and they left the heater on waaaaay to long. Seriously, I stepped my foot into it and it was really really hot!!! It burned like crap, and that after just being in the water for just a second. Imagine if I had jumped in, instead of walking down the steps, I may have suffered the same fate as those poor guys.