Sponsor Message:
Non Aviation Forum
My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search 
Stock Market Investors Are Ignorant Schmucks  
User currently offlinePROSA From United States of America, joined Oct 2001, 5578 posts, RR: 5
Posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 14 hours ago) and read 1234 times:

We just can't win. U.S. retail sales for March came in very strong in today's report, which along with nascent evidence of an improving jobs market and better-than-expected corporate earnings reports show that the economy may finally be moving forward at a strong pace. Good for stock prices, right? Think again. From cbsmarketwatch.com:

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) - U.S. stocks moved lower Tuesday on concern the Federal Reserve may be tempted to raise interest rates sooner rather than later after the first batch of strong earnings and better-than-expected retail sales suggested the U.S. economy was in robust form.
"It's interest rates, interest rates, interest rates," said Peter Boockvar, equity strategist at Miller Tabak.


Let me try to get this straight. Economic reports and earnings look good, and stocks fall. It also goes without saying that poor economic reports and earnings also will cause stocks to fall, by stoking recession fears. It sounds like stocks are destined to fall no matter what. How absurd!



"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"
10 replies: All unread, jump to last
 
User currently offlineAndreas From Germany, joined Oct 2001, 6104 posts, RR: 32
Reply 1, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 14 hours ago) and read 1229 times:

Yes, and sometimes they get up, no matter what!

I've seen a very good commercial on German TV a year ago: there's a CEo of one of those online-lowcost-banks talking to the audience. He says " if the guys at your bank are as good as they say (talking about stock market performance)...*munchesafewpeanuts*...how come they still have to work?

What I'm trying to say is: No matter what you do, there will always be someone who believes that it is the other way round!

There are just so many aspects one has to take into consideration:

Self-fulfilling prophecies, differing expectations, less-than-efficient capital markets, non-rational behaviour, chart technology...the only thing that soubnds plausible is:

You can't beat the market systematicallyand at will by chosing a strategy...that's a fact...the only one when talking stock markets!



I know it's only VfB but I like it!
User currently offlineN6376m From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 2, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 14 hours ago) and read 1220 times:

I used to subscribe to the "efficient market" hypothesis of stock valuation however, the internet bubble basically put the nail in that coffins. I've been reading a book by George Soros called the AlChemy of Finance that I think does a great job describing the stock market.

[Full disclosure DISCLAIMER - For those of you who may not know Soros is the multibillionaire who made a ton of money on currency speculation. He's spent a lot of his money on the developing world and is currently a major funding source for the MoveOn.org organization. He's said that he'll do whatever he can to make sure GWB doesn't win re-election. I do not support his political tendencies but I can recognize where he seems to have a point].

As I understand it, Soros' premise is that markets are fundamentally inefficient at all moments other than what he terms "inflection points". These inflection points are either at the top of a bubble or the bottom of a trough. He argues that if the market were efficient, stock bubbles couldn't exist. Only at the inflection point does the market realize its inefficiency and correct the error.

-76M


User currently offlineAndreas From Germany, joined Oct 2001, 6104 posts, RR: 32
Reply 3, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 14 hours ago) and read 1213 times:

That's another way of putting it! I used to buy market efficiency hypothesis at the very beginning when I started my doctor's thesis...then I read some material on the assumptions, since then I strongly believe in the Random Walk theories  Big grin Big grin


I know it's only VfB but I like it!
User currently offlinePROSA From United States of America, joined Oct 2001, 5578 posts, RR: 5
Reply 4, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 9 hours ago) and read 1185 times:

&*%$@#&#!!!!! Today was a bad day, but tomorrow's likely to be a total bloodbath. Intel just reported its quarterly results, and both revenues and earnings missed analysts' expectations. It's like we're destined to lose, no matter what  Sad


"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"
User currently offlineQb001 From Canada, joined Apr 2000, 2053 posts, RR: 4
Reply 5, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 9 hours ago) and read 1180 times:

Don't believe anything stock market gurus will tell you. Fourth graders or chimps can do better than the best stock market analyst 50% of the time.

And it's not even a joke...



Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.
User currently onlineMaverickM11 From United States of America, joined Apr 2000, 16974 posts, RR: 48
Reply 6, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 7 hours ago) and read 1167 times:

The weather is more predictable than the stock market. As much as the gurus and CNBC and CNNfn would like you to believe otherwise, they are 90% chance and 10% luck.


E pur si muove -Galileo
User currently offlineJAL777 From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 7, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 7 hours ago) and read 1157 times:

The weather is more predictable than the stock market. As much as the gurus and CNBC and CNNfn would like you to believe otherwise, they are 90% chance and 10% luck.

In the short term... that's the problem... way to many investors think in the short term.


User currently offlineImisspiedmont From United States of America, joined May 2001, 6260 posts, RR: 34
Reply 8, posted (10 years 1 week 4 days 1 hour ago) and read 1139 times:

I guess the fact that I've earned an average 11% return on my investments over the past 18 years makes me an "Ignorant Schmuck." I'll choose to ignore the $22,000 loss in 1979 though.


Is grammar no longer taught is schools? Saying "me and her" or some such implies illiteracy.
User currently offlineMD-90 From United States of America, joined Jan 2000, 8494 posts, RR: 12
Reply 9, posted (10 years 1 week 3 days 19 hours ago) and read 1127 times:

Imisspiedmont illustrates a valuable point. In a very, very good book I once read, the author (a financial advisor for the genuinely rich) stated that it is human nature to think of losses in financial, real numbers, and gains as percentages.

I lost $51,000 in Pan Am stock in 199whatever!

But my Southwest stock has been going up around 12% a year since I bought it.


User currently offlineKay From France, joined Mar 2002, 1884 posts, RR: 3
Reply 10, posted (10 years 1 week 2 days 22 hours ago) and read 1105 times:

I started investing in euro futures recently. Exchange rates are much more volatile than stocks.

But the Euro is volcanic volatile. You might enter the market and one second later make a 2500$ unrealized loss. I protect all my positions with stop losses, but these, in turn, leave very little room for miracles. You're bound to lose 75% of the time. The few times you win should compensate.

It really is gambling, basically, which is why, in this flavor of trading, the house always wins. Just like in Vegas.

In the last three weeks, I made 16% gains over 9 transactions, but with an unrealized loss, at one point, of 65%. Had that one reached 100% I would have been out of the market, ie lost all my investment.

Never seen trading made so risky.

kay


Top Of Page
Forum Index

This topic is archived and can not be replied to any more.

Printer friendly format

Similar topics:More similar topics...
Are We Heading For A Stock Market Crash? posted Fri Jul 7 2006 14:48:46 by Bmacleod
Let's Play The Stock Market! posted Wed Feb 25 2004 12:52:02 by CFIcraigAPA
Anyone Here Wanna Weigh In On The Stock Market? posted Sat Nov 15 2003 16:24:43 by UN_B732
Angry Stock Market Rant posted Fri Apr 26 2002 22:22:25 by PROSA
Making $$$ Thru The Stock Market posted Mon Apr 1 2002 05:32:05 by Notar520AC
For Those Who Know The Stock Market posted Tue Feb 19 2002 03:19:49 by FlyVirgin744
Are You Cut Or Uncut? posted Sun Dec 10 2006 00:37:17 by RootsAir
What Are They Discussing Please? posted Fri Dec 8 2006 20:58:26 by 9V
Are Kids Getting Married Younger These Days? posted Wed Dec 6 2006 04:06:21 by FSPilot747
Martini-Enfield Butt Stock Removal? posted Mon Dec 4 2006 21:28:40 by Falstaff