Superfly From Thailand, joined May 2000, 38599 posts, RR: 79 Reply 1, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 6 days 3 hours ago) and read 851 times:
Both cities are great because they are both in Canada.
Hate to bust your bubble but I'd take Montreal over both.
I love Vancouver because it's a smaller, cleaner and cheaper version of San Francisco and has ski resorts within 30 minutes from downtown.
Toronto is great because it's the largest city in the greatest country in the entire world and the world's greatest rock group (RUSH ) is from there.
Montreal wins because I lived there as a little kid and if for no other reason, le FRENCH!
Jayce From Canada, joined Nov 1999, 520 posts, RR: 0 Reply 4, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 793 times:
Someone just sent me a forward and it fits in perfectly to this topic.
TOP 10 REASONS TO LIVE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
1. Vancouver: 2 million people and two bridges
2. The local hero is a pot-smoking snowboarder
3. The local wine doesn't taste like malt vinegar
4. Your $400,000 Vancouver home is 5 hours from downtown
5. A university with a nude beach
6. You can throw a rock and hit three Starbucks locations
7. If a cop pulls you over, just offer them some of your hash
8. There's always some sort of deforestation protest going on
9. That guy at the Starbucks at 6am that looks like George Clooney IS George Clooney
TOP 10 REASONS TO LIVE IN ONTARIO
1. You live in the center of the universe
2. Your $400,000 Toronto home is actually a fancy garden shed
3. You and you alone decide who will win the federal election
4. There's no such thing as an Ontario Separatist
5. Your grandparents sold booze to the States during Prohibition
6. Lots of tourists come to Toronto because they mistakenly believe it's a cool city
7. The only province with hard-core American-style crime
8. MuchMusic's Speaker's Corner - rant and rave on national TV for a dollar
9. Baseball fans park on your front lawn and pee on the side of your house
10. Tourist photos with Niagara Falls backdrop
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
Qb001 From Canada, joined Apr 2000, 2053 posts, RR: 4 Reply 5, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 786 times:
A bit off-topic, but Jayce's post has trigger some inspiration...
TOP 10 REASONS TO LIVE IN QUEBEC
1. You live, period; work is an annoying activity between two parties
2. Your $400,000 Montreal home is actually a castle
3. You don't really care about the federal election
4. We have separatists and they may succeed
5. Your grandparents drank the booze they were supposed to sell to the States during Prohibition
6. Lots of tourists come to Montreal because they know it's a cool city
7. The only province with hard-core European-style social net
8. MuchMusic does not really play here
9. We have no more baseball, so let's hit the bars instead
10. Weed, the good one, with lots of THC in it.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.
Jayce From Canada, joined Nov 1999, 520 posts, RR: 0 Reply 6, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 777 times:
Qb001 that was hilarious! My personal favourite one of the forward was the top 10 reasons to live in Saskatchewan:
1. You never run out of wheat
2. Those cool Saskatchewan Wheat Pool hats
3. Cruise control takes on a whole new meaning
4. Your province is really easy to draw
5. You never have to worry about rollback if you have a standard
6. It takes you two weeks to walk to your neighbour's house
7. YOUR Rough-riders survived
8. You can watch the dog run away from home for hours
9. Your $400,000 Saskatoon home is an entire apartment building
10. Buying a huge John Deere mower makes sense
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
AlekToronto From Canada, joined Nov 2003, 328 posts, RR: 0 Reply 7, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 19 hours ago) and read 770 times:
comparing Toronto to Vancouver or to Montreal is pointless..they are all equally great/frustrating and all are different. It really depends on what you want to do during your holiday.
Toronto does not have a lot of Traditional type Tourist attractions so if you come for a week to be entertained that way you might get bored..
Toronto is great for food and arts/culture mostly. Lots of theatre both big and small and food from every country in the world.
There are a lot of varied different neighbourhoods to explore.
arriving downtown from the airport I must admit Toronto is pretty ugly - nothing like Vancouver with the mountains..Toronto is flat and featureless..except the lake.
generally I say the following to my international friends..
if you are visiting for nature, beauty, participate in sports (skiing, etc..) go to VANCOUVER
If you want to shop, look at hot chicks and party hard go to MONTREAL.
If you want to visit galleries, theatre and eat food from over 200 different countries visit TORONTO.
yes fellow Canadians I know that there are more features of each city..but this is just a bare bones reply.
Cheers and enjoy Canada!
SKYSERVICE_330 From Canada, joined Sep 2000, 1385 posts, RR: 6 Reply 8, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 18 hours ago) and read 750 times:
Nice try Qb, although I think this one is a bit more fitting...
Top 10 Reasons to Live in Quebec
1. Everybody assumes you're an ass
2. Racism is socially acceptable
3. The only province to ever kidnap federal politicians
4. You can take bets with your friends on which English neighbor will move out next
5.Other provinces basically bribe you to stay in Canada
6. The FLQ
7. Our hockey team is made up entirely of dirty French guys
8. The province with the oldest Ladies of the Night
9. NON-smokers are the outcasts
10. You can blame all your problems on the "Anglo bastards"
- All in good fun.
But back to the topic- as said before it all depends on what you are looking for. Comparing them is hard as they all have something different to offer, and it depends on what you are looking for/what type of holiday you want to have.
Arrow From Canada, joined exactly 11 years ago today! , 2588 posts, RR: 2 Reply 9, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 17 hours ago) and read 739 times:
I'd respond to this in detail, but I just finished loading the skis on the car and I've got to be at Whistler before it gets dark. I'll give it some thought tomorrow while I'm blitzing the Blackcomb Glacier.
What was that other place? Oh yeah. Toronto. Nice City!
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
VonRichtofen From Canada, joined Nov 2000, 4621 posts, RR: 40 Reply 12, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 3 hours ago) and read 685 times:
Well I've been to both cities many times. They're quite different from each other so it's hard to compare the two. Vancouver enjoys one of the highest Quality of Life ratings in the world (top 3). Also the climate in Vancouver is better and it's nice being on the pacific. One thing I hate about Vancouver though is the road system. It's terrible, but I guess they don't have much room to build it up. Both cities are culturally diverse and both are expensive to live in, lol.
City wise I prefer Toronto (roads, things to do, layout etc)
Geographically I prefer Vancouver (Mild climate, on the coast, mountains near by).
I'm am embarrassed to say that I've never been to Montreal. I've dated a few girls from Montreal that moved to Calgary and they knocked my socks off. I can't imagine a whole city with women like that!
IFLYMCO From United States of America, joined Sep 2003, 482 posts, RR: 2 Reply 13, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 2 hours ago) and read 688 times:
Toronto is beautiful, I have some family that lives pretty close to downtown.
I've never met people as friendly as I have in Canada to tourons (tourist + moron = touron). I would say either is a good bet!
I have also been to Ottawa, Quebec City (beautiful), and Montreal which are all great! I would suggest that if you do go to Toronto you should rent a car and drive up and see some more of Eastern Canada, you won't be sorry!
Vaporlock From Canada, joined May 2001, 3645 posts, RR: 58 Reply 14, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 2 hours ago) and read 679 times:
IFLYMCO, I live in Toronto.....it is a pretty happening place! Although, it has changed over the past 10 years....and not for the good! But I have to admit that Quebec City is amazing! I love it there....especially in the winter at Carnival time!!!
Life is a bitch sometimes....Smile, laugh, play~~enjoy every moment~~life is too short!!
Superfly From Thailand, joined May 2000, 38599 posts, RR: 79 Reply 15, posted (8 years 6 months 1 week 5 days 2 hours ago) and read 680 times:
AlexToronto: .....look at hot chicks and party hard go to MONTREAL.
Well that pretty much cancels out all the other attributes of Toronto and Vancouver.
How does Yellowknife, Goose Bay and Alert fair in all this?
Worth noting; notice how all those dumb right-wing crack pots in the Southern section of the United States have no contribution to this thread yet have such a strong opinion about Canada?
They've never visited thus can't give an educated assesment about there neighbors to the north.
Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are all great cities and Canada is a fantastic country. I am doing my part to make my country more like yours. The United States can learn so much from our friends to the north.