N754AN From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR: Posted (11 years 1 month 6 days 22 hours ago) and read 929 times:
I want to reformat my computer, wipe all the hard drives and completely start again as if it were a brand new, just purchased computer,
but I have no idea how to do this!
I am running on Windows XP Home Edition.
JoeKuboj From Serbia, joined Feb 2004, 164 posts, RR: 12
Reply 1, posted (11 years 1 month 6 days 22 hours ago) and read 918 times:
1. Backup all you want (on second partition/drive, CD, DVD, or something else)
2. Insert your WinXP CD into your CD drive
3. Restart your computer (and set CDROM for 1st boot device in BIOS)
4. Follow instructions (select format/erase/reinstall or something like that)
Aloges From Germany, joined Jan 2006, 9285 posts, RR: 38
Reply 3, posted (11 years 1 month 6 days 22 hours ago) and read 901 times:
This only works in case you have a floppy drive:
BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU NEED!!!
1. Look up in the "Help and Support" section how to create a boot disk.
2. Leave the disk in your floppy drive, or put it in.
3. Restart your PC. In case it's set to boot from floppy disks, wait till it's done booting.
4. When you see "c: backslash >" on your screen, type in "format c:" and hit enter.
5. Proceed as your PC tells you.
Walk together, talk together all ye peoples of the earth. Then, and only then, shall ye have peace.
Sovietjet From Bulgaria, joined Mar 2003, 2716 posts, RR: 16
Reply 5, posted (11 years 1 month 6 days 21 hours ago) and read 883 times:
I just reformatted a friend's computer about half an hour ago. Basically, first remember to back up everything. Then do what JoeKuboj said. If it doesn't boot from the CD...you would have to either change your BIOS or use a bootable CD. Tell us how it is going.